Internet Explorer not listed under applications?

David12846

I've been using CC for several years. In the cleaner section I'm very selective and cautious. So cautious that I analyze and run each checkable box separately. I've always wondered:

A) Why is Internet Explorer listed under "Windows" and not under "Applications"? Internet Explorer is an application just like Firefox is.

B) I use Internet Explorer very rarely. One a month maybe. If I have everything checked in Internet Explorer (listed under "Windows"), and nothing checked under Firefox (listed under "Application"), will everything related to Firefox browsing be retained (Firefox cookies, Firefox History, recently typed URL's, etc) ?

Hello David - In response to the first question, I think it stems from the fact that Windows and Internet Explorer are joined at the hip so to speak. They always have been. You cannot uninstall I.E., only upgrade, whereas Firefox is a separate application that can be installed and uninstalled by the user. 

In response to your second question, if you leave everything unchecked under Firefox then CCleaner will leave those items alone. The history, cookies, etc. for I.E. and Firefox are stored in separate folders.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

I'm aware Internet Explorer is technically a system component, and system updates generally rely on IE. Since it is a system component related to browsing, I've always been leary that Firefox (or another browser) might rely on or store something within the folders of Internet Explorer. Oftentimes (not always though) things at a lower level, like an application, rely on resources stored at the system level.

I guess if it is truly related only to the OS, it would be listed under Windows Explorer, System, or Advanced within the Windows tab.