Ccleaner does not clean Google Chrome history

Isabellavdb

WINDOWS 7, latest version of Ccleaner and latest version of Google Chrome.

OK here is the problem, I know discussed before but this keeps coming back, and I can reproduce this at any time.

1) I run CCLEANER, it closes Google Chrome in the process, I see the files that are deleted (so you think) in the CCLEANER window.

2) I run CCLEANER a 2nd and 3rd time, he does not find anything to be deleted, system is clear (so you think)

3) I checked Taskmanager, no Google Chrome processes active.

4) I run CCLEANER a fourth time, just to be sure, nothing!

5) I start GOOGLE CHROME and go to history (CTRL+H) and voila >>> the History is still there!!

6) Only way to clean GOOGLE CHROME history is to press "clear browsing history",

This is a serious issue and keeps coming back. I have seen this discussed before several times but is there a solution for this bug?

Thanks for support in advance.

• Moderators

I seem to recall an Admin member chiming in with a "thanks, we'll look into it" sort of response.

Be assured, they are aware of it, as to a solution and when, can't say.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I think I found the problem!! During CCLEANER the following file does not get deleted

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\History

It does delete all the others like for example.... (see detailed view in log.txt)

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Archived History 56 KB
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Visited Links 128 KB
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Current Tabs 22 KB
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Top Sites 36 KB
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\History Provider Cache 5 KB
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Network Action Predictor 44 KB
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\JumpListIcons\FA58.tmp 28 KB

You will notice (in WIndows Explorer) that these files have ALL disappeared after you run CCLEANER, except the History one above.
You may also notice that after you re-start Google Chrome ALL of these deleted files will re-appear (this is normal).

I did the following >

1) CLOSED Google Chrome
2) Run CCLEANER 
3) Opened Windows Explorer and located the History file with xxx KB
4) Deleted this file manually
5) Restarted Google Chrome, Closed Google Chrome and opened Windows Explorer again to check >>
6) History file indeed re-appeared 
7) I opened the file with Notepad to check and indeed History was gone.

This is a bug guys and needs fixing, CCLEANER process NEEDS to include the History File, it doesn't right now!
Any comments welcome

• 1 month later...

Same problem here in Win7, 64-bit, CCleaner ver. 4.10.4570.  Google chrome history not deleted though checked to do so on Ccleaner.  Have noticed several times by accident.  I run Ccleaner every time I close any browser.  Always.  Leaves full page of history, sites visited.  Needs a fix bad.  Have been depending on Ccleaner for years.  Couldn't believe it was missing this stuff.  Don't know how long.  I only found by checking a site I just visited and noticed line after line of history.  I'm 100% certain I ran Ccleaner several  times so sites that far back should have been deleted.  Hope fix is soon.

Hi guys,

Are you signed in with your Google Account?

If so, do you have History checked to be synced? 

Please, let us know

Thanks

MrT

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I think I found the problem!! During CCLEANER the following file does not get deleted

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\History

It does delete all the others like for example.... (see detailed view in log.txt)

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Archived History 56 KB
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Visited Links 128 KB
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Current Tabs 22 KB
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Top Sites 36 KB
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\History Provider Cache 5 KB
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Network Action Predictor 44 KB
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\JumpListIcons\FA58.tmp 28 KB

You will notice (in WIndows Explorer) that these files have ALL disappeared after you run CCLEANER, except the History one above.
You may also notice that after you re-start Google Chrome ALL of these deleted files will re-appear (this is normal).

I did the following >

1) CLOSED Google Chrome
2) Run CCLEANER 
3) Opened Windows Explorer and located the History file with xxx KB
4) Deleted this file manually
5) Restarted Google Chrome, Closed Google Chrome and opened Windows Explorer again to check >>
6) History file indeed re-appeared 
7) I opened the file with Notepad to check and indeed History was gone.

This is a bug guys and needs fixing, CCLEANER process NEEDS to include the History File, it doesn't right now!
Any comments welcome

Thank you very much.  I would rather not have to do this manually but so far this does work.  I have everything unsynced from my google account, that I only use for email, and history is still only removed when I delete the history file manually.  I don't understand why ccleaner still says it deletes chrome history when it doesn't.

• Moderators

Thank you for your research. The developers read all threads (though rarely reply) so be assured that they will look into this

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Thank you for your research. The developers read all threads (though rarely reply) so be assured that they will look into this

I should add the other suggestion to uncheck "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" in Chrome settings is also done.

After I signed in I also opened Google Dashboard and  I clicked “Stop and Clear” at the bottom of the Dashboard page.

I then click “Disconnect from Google Account” and I was signed out from Chrome.

I never normally sign in; I signed in only to make these changes.

Still the only way to clean out history is to delete the history file manually and let Chrome rebuild it the next time it is opened.