Office 2013: Pinned folders

joschi4

Hi all,

I have some pinned folders in my office 365 products. These pinned folders I would like to exclude from the clean.

Strange:

In the full detailed CCleaner report, these folders are not showed! However the clean will delete it. Not good.

Martin

post-48933-0-52845700-1387810594_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

in CCleaner, on the Windows tab, untick Recent Documents (you may also need to untick Other Explorer MRU's)

on the Application tab, untick anything that says Office.

try that and get back to us Martin.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

You need to UNTICK the Office, Recent Documents and MRU entries otherwise CC will empty your recent list and remove your pinned docs.

I have just tested it.

Opened Word, pinned some stuff, ran CC with my normal settings (Office, Recent Docs and MRU not ticked), re-opened Word, all still there.

Reran CC with Office, Recent Docs and MRU ticked, opened Word, recent list and pinned docs gone.

I'd call that a successful test. :)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Ok, however...

This is a wish/Requirement to let the pinned folders as it is. I don't want to miss the other cleaning settings (Recent Docs and MRU).

The pinned folders are consciously set by the user, so they should not be deleted.

Thanks.

• Moderators

Hi Martin.

I'm guessing you'll know the location of your pinned folders, so why not "Exclude" them from being cleaned and then you can keep your boxes ticked. This is a good example of why CCleaner has an exclude feature.

http://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/using-ccleaner/excluding-files,-folders,-and-registry-entries

Hope that helps.

:)

Hi all,

It's hard to convice you guys, but I hope now it will become clear to all. :)  Now I can give you the correct query:

These pinned folders are saved in the index.dat file. In this Index-file there are as well the other recent saved documents. This file is save under:

C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office\Recent\index.dat

I see no possibilities to exclude something inside the index.dat file. :unsure:  This is the reason why I exclude "Office 2013" from my clean. "Office 2013" deletes this file.

• 9 months later...

Maybe add a warning when the index.dat is selected for deletion that this will cause pin files and folders to be erased as well.

As what joschi4 said, often this list has been built up in a conscious and timeconsuming way (office has no such thing as a settings backup).

Restoring the index.dat is impossible - recuva indicating as unrecoverable, so we have to start from scratch  :(

A warning would definitely help!