CCleaner proceeds to corrupting Chrome's settings file.

BugReport

We already knew CCleaner is unable to clean Dev versions. They are not supported.

But now, it will simply corrupt an Chrome Dev version's config/settings file.

So it doesnt/didnt clean, but if you leave the Chrome tab clean ticked on, (which had no effect on dev chrome anyways)

it will provide a new feature: wiping and corrupting your chrome config file, and after noticing all of your settings are gone/emptytab/and such, Chrome will prompt you that the config file is corrupted and unable to read from.

Okay, I will not tick Chrome anymore on Dev versions, and will accept the loss of my personalized Chrome settings/themes/plugins ,set it all again. But I do think that this could be fixed, more the corruption which is unasked, even when it wouldnt clean any history/cache, and even when Chrome Dev isnt supported by Ccleaner.

Piriform is unlikely to have a crystal ball that will predict future changes to Chrome Beta's,

so they would not know which regions of junk will in future hold special value.

It is feasible that last month's version of CC will do no harm to your existing Chrome Beta,

but this same version of CC could do harm to any future Chrome Beta.

Chrome provides BETA's so that their users can run the risks,

and in my view any problems ought to be reported as bugs in the Bug Report forums/posting mechanisms of Chrome.

CC allows you to Analyze and obtain a list of all the files that will be deleted as a result of Chrome being ticked.

In my view it is only reasonable to use this Bug Report forum to :-

Complain if "ANALYZE" fails to predict a file that "RUN CLEANER" will delete ;

Or complain that the latest CCleaner damages any production release of a specific product

Or warn Piriform that any specific item that is safe to clean on specific product Release is dangerous on a specific product Beta.

Alan

In my view it is only reasonable to use this Bug Report forum to :-

Complain if "ANALYZE" fails to predict a file that "RUN CLEANER" will delete ;

Or complain that the latest CCleaner damages any production release of a specific product

Or warn Piriform that any specific item that is safe to clean on specific product Release is dangerous on a specific product Beta.

Alan

Look, you're trying to represent Piriform's point of view when it comes to bug reports, only you're doing that wrong since you see it as 'Complaining' (you write that literally). But all bug reports here are not complaining, but they are an attempt to let Piriform developers know and them to be aware of any issues, eventually posting an solution to the TS.

Same is here. But you're saying 'Report on Chrome dev support'. Actually, this is a pre-stage of the official build, most likely the next having the same issue. The Chrome svn source (code, like the configfile location) is a thing apart from how CCleaner interprets it and wipes it.

If you take it literally, a change in Chrome made CCleaner fail and corrupt its settings file. So the problem is caused by CCleaner not having the right definitions to not damage a Chrome dev version installation.

From this point I am not saying CCleaner should go and support Dev chrome versions, but I am reporting the issue of CCleaner damaging it. 

But all bug reports here are not complaining, 

Right.  Its actually a "bug race"  :P .     

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

From this point I am not saying CCleaner should go and support Dev chrome versions, but I am reporting the issue of CCleaner damaging it. 

Actually you said "But I do think that this could be fixed",

which I understood as being something for which you held Piriform to be responsible,

That is what I reacted against - and the reason I posted.

Actually you said "But I do think that this could be fixed",

which I understood as being something for which you held Piriform to be responsible,

That is what I reacted against - and the reason I posted.

If I say 'could be fixed' it's not like complaining/helding developers responsible at all. I just mean that it might be looked into as it's not comfortable to have the Chrome user/profile wiped, thus the reason i report this as a bug. And  I'm a developer myself for some projects, so that's why I am used to using the words 'could be fixed', nothing to be scared of the issue being layed down at Piriform, as it's not.

I'd like to add, that the report also comes handy to CCleaner users that are starting to use Chrome dev channel (on the chrome install page, 1-2 out of 10 all chrome users have a dev version i guess)

they wouldn't directly know its not supported by CCleaner, but as they are used to clean Chrome-m (regular) versions they will not untick the Chrome tab. And then the Ccleaner user will find out their Chrome browser has reset to being out-of-the-box (user profile wiped, settings 'corrupted' popup)

and I don't think that's nice to find out this way. But anyways if this doesnt get patched there might be a way to tell CCleaner users that using a Dev version is not supported/their browser will reset/wipe on CCleaner attempt to clean?

My career included several decades of designing high reliability microcomputer hardware, operating systems, and application software.

To me the phrase "I do think that this could be fixed" carried the implication that that you knew it was fixable by Piriform, rather than a hope for a fix

But instead of getting bogged down in a pedantic discussion,

I would prefer to close by saying that I appreciate this topic might be useful to other Chrome Beta users who come here looking for the cause of their woes.

CCleaner does recognise different version numbers for some products which it cleans.

Perhaps you could start a topic in the Suggestions forum with the request that CCleaner should refrain from ALL cleaning actions on ALL Beta products,

perhaps referring to this topic as an example of what can go wrong,

and perhaps advising how to easily detect when Chrome is a Beta variant.

Regards

Alan

Thanks, BugReport. 

I don't use Chrome, but those who do will be glad to see this. 

Also, the Piriform development teams reads all these posts, and they do make changes in response to members suggestions. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

I am running Chrome Version 32.0.1700.41 m Aura and while it is apparently considered a beta version, though I did not install it and Google has pushed it out to a subset of regular Chrome users before it becomes the latest version of Chrome.

I am having the constant problem of CCleaner corrupting my Chrome User Preferences file every time I run CCleaner. Obviously for anyone to proclaim this IS not CCleaners problem is sipping the corporate koolaid!!! CCleaner has jumped the shark if they don't push a fix out soon. I will not be uninstalling this version of Chrome but uninstalling CCLeaner and not coming back.

• 4 weeks later...

hmm it just worked for me once on a Dev version while last ccleaner update fixed it only for Release

Seems Chrome devs has changed something in dev channel that makes the last stablechannel fix from piriform devs work on dev

but now it broke Release (stable) for JMR? like dev and stable swapped? ...

I agree with you Alan.  And beta software is for beta testers.  I don't run any beta software on my main machine, not adobe... no beta software because it is unstable and anything can happen.  If you aren't a developer or beta tester you should not be using beta software unless there isn't anything on your PC you wouldn't mind losing.

I am a Google and Android girl all the way, but have never installed a dev version of Chrome on my PC.

If you can't live without Chrome then you need to make regular complete PC backups using good software.  I for one don't understand why Google released unmarked beta software to the general public and for such a long stretch.  Seems irresponsible on their part.  Most end-users wouldn't even know that dev = beta.

Chrome provides BETA's so that their users can run the risks,

and in my view any problems ought to be reported as bugs in the Bug Report forums/posting mechanisms of Chrome.

CC allows you to Analyze and obtain a list of all the files that will be deleted as a result of Chrome being ticked.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

All of that being said, if Piriform developers nicely contacted google they might be willing to play ball and release early code info for compatibility development purposes.  Incompatible sofware is useless to marketers and consumers.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Right now, people are getting these bugs/corruption, with stable (public) release.

Why is that? Because, DEV version is becoming the next stable.

So why did I report bugs with Dev versions? Because of this. Changes in dev versions of Chrome, (most of them, unless they get reverted) will become implemented in the next normal Chrome release which makes end-users auto-update and have the same bug.

Right now, people are getting these bugs/corruption, with stable (public) release.

Why is that? Because, DEV version is becoming the next stable.

And why is that ?

Because either Chrome Developers ignore the Bugs in the Beta/Dev versions that are identified by their users,

or because their users fail to adequately report the bugs.

In software development the original purpose for Beta releases was for people to test and report new defects/problems in the product

and for the developers to correct their own mistakes.

I am reminded of the joke about recent army recruits on parade,

with a proud mother shouting out to the sergeant major

"Look, my Jimmy is the only one marching in step". :)

And why is that ?

Because either Chrome Developers ignore the Bugs in the Beta/Dev versions that are identified by their users,

or because their users fail to adequately report the bugs.

In software development the original purpose for Beta releases was for people to test and report new defects/problems in the product

and for the developers to correct their own mistakes.

I am reminded of the joke about recent army recruits on parade,

with a proud mother shouting out to the sergeant major

"Look, my Jimmy is the only one marching in step". :)

Simple; It is not an Chrome bug. Why not? CCleaner is designed to clean by an defined location of, as example, Chrome's history.

See it as; CCleaner ver x.xx was made to clean Chrome's version x.xx's history at (example) Chrome/data/cache/historyfiles

What if Chrome developers change the history/cache data location? (internally in an Chrome installation) right, then Ccleaner wouldn't know the new location and so fails to clean, because ccleaner attempts to clean an location where no history is saved anymore (they changed location)

And, finally... Dev's version (filepath/history change) will most likely become the next official Chrome release. So, then only a update/filepath change from CCleaner's devs would resolve the new way Chrome stores their history/cache in that version

Not hard, is it?

Simple; It is not an Chrome bug. Why not? CCleaner is designed to clean by an defined location of, as example, Chrome's history.

See it as; CCleaner ver x.xx was made to clean Chrome's version x.xx's history at (example) Chrome/data/cache/historyfiles

What if Chrome developers change the history/cache data location? (internally in an Chrome installation) right, then Ccleaner wouldn't know the new location and so fails to clean, because ccleaner attempts to clean an location where no history is saved anymore (they changed location)

And, finally... Dev's version (filepath/history change) will most likely become the next official Chrome release. So, then only a update/filepath change from CCleaner's devs would resolve the new way Chrome stores their history/cache in that version

Not hard, is it?

What has that to do with this topic.

You started this topic by complaining that CCleaner was CORRUPTING your Chrome Settings.

If CCleaner now FAILS to clean because the junk is on a different path then this is nothing like corruption.

The actual problem appears to me to be that Chrome deposited in some path :-

spurious junk that no one wants to keep and was happy to clean with CCleaner;

and NOW they are using the same path to hold Chrome Settings so that CCleaner and its competitors now corrupt Chrome Settings.

If this version ??? 32.0.1700.41 m Aura (post #9) of Chrome is now a fully released version of Chrome then I am sure that Piriform will continue to fully support Chrome and will fix the issue of corruption a.s.a.p.

It is however unreasonable to expect CCleaner that start cleaning the new JUNK paths that will most likely become the next official release,

because they will not only have to test/debug against an unpredictable and variable Beta,

but they would also need to test and possible design afresh in the "unlikely" :wacko:  event of changes to the next official release.

Regards

Alan

What has that to do with this topic.

You started this topic by complaining that CCleaner was CORRUPTING your Chrome Settings.

If CCleaner now FAILS to clean because the junk is on a different path then this is nothing like corruption.

The actual problem appears to me to be that Chrome deposited in some path :-

spurious junk that no one wants to keep and was happy to clean with CCleaner;

and NOW they are using the same path to hold Chrome Settings so that CCleaner and its competitors now corrupt Chrome Settings.

If this version ??? 32.0.1700.41 m Aura (post #9) of Chrome is now a fully released version of Chrome then I am sure that Piriform will continue to fully support Chrome and will fix the issue of corruption a.s.a.p.

It is however unreasonable to expect CCleaner that start cleaning the new JUNK paths that will most likely become the next official release,

because they will not only have to test/debug against an unpredictable and variable Beta,

but they would also need to test and possible design afresh in the "unlikely" :wacko:  event of changes to the next official release.

Regards

Alan

What it has 'to do' with the topic?

Problem started happening (corruption of settings file) on the dev build. Because it shouldn't be supported, some people posting here that had the same issue and redirecting here to have people know what was going on (and that it wasn't CCleaner's fault but Chrome)

Right now, the Dev changes seem implemented in the stable Chrome release thats why people above me reported their file corruption in their normal chrome. This does actually make it an CCleaner issue; CCleaner last version is unable to clean Chrome and corrupt settings (most people get chrome auto-updated so it will apply to tons of people) so if the devs are gonna fix this they need to update their junk file location to the new Chrome's.

• Moderators

I'm sure the devs are aware and the next version will clean this chrome. The problem is that Google keeps changing things faster than outside developers can keep up. The developer's get dev branch when everyone else does, that means that release of dev branch starts to be cleaned by the version of ccleaner that the devs are working on at the time. And thus you need to wait till the version to come out. Ccleaner is released monthly unless a FATAL bug is found; lack of cleaning of a single program is, by anybody reasonable's call, not a fatal bug.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Please read the big words above.

This topic was started with the complaint of CHROME SETTINGS CORRUPTION.

That is a SIGNIFICANT CONSEQUENCE of the Chrome developers deciding to put settings on the path that had been used for Junk,

and it is unfortunate that they decided to put their users settings at risk.

You are now grumbling about a DIFFERENT AND TRIVIAL NO-HARM CONSEQUENCE of a failure to clean history.

You might be disappointed that history is not being cleaned now, but THAT is not what you started this topic with.

It is the fault of Chrome that it creates history which you prefer to eradicate,

and I am sure that Piriform will address this different consequence.

No user action will be needed to remove history, other than using a CCleaner version that catches up with Chrome's chaos.

Corruption of Chrome Settings is quite likely to impact the normal use of Chrome as a browser, and some users may have difficulty restoring normality.

Failure to remove history will not impact the normal use of Chrome as a browser.

That makes failure to clean a TRIVIAL TEMPORARY problem when compared to your original complaint of Settings Corruption.

As someone who found this thread because my Chrome profile was corrupted after using CCleaner last night, I'd like to thank BugReport for the submission so I could verify that it actually WAS CCleaner that actually caused all my headaches. I was unaware that a month old version of CCleaner would have such an impact on my (recently auto-updated) stable channel of Chrome. In fact, I think a good number of users would have benefited from being informed of this issue. Perhaps, changing the auto-update message to STRONGLY ENCOURAGE updating to avoid program corruption might help in the future? I wasn't even really sure why Chrome lost all my bookmarks, extensions, passwords, etc until I realized I had run my weekly CCleaner session. I resorted to a year old backup profile, but I'm really at a loss how the ball was dropped on this one. 

Alan_B, I'd like to note that you really haven't added much to the conversation of this thread. You've been combative and downright condescending. Next time someone submits a bug, how about allowing the devs to address the issue instead trying to butt in?

For anyone else, has anyone had success fixing their profile? Much to my chagrin, I've never synced my settings so all I have is a backup of my corrupted profile. I've looked into suggestions of fixing Chrome's SQLite databases, but everything I can find only works with Linux. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was unaware that a month old version of CCleaner would have such an impact on my (recently auto-updated) stable channel of Chrome. In fact, I think a good number of users would have benefited from being informed of this issue. Perhaps, changing the auto-update message to STRONGLY ENCOURAGE updating to avoid program corruption might help in the future? I wasn't even really sure why Chrome lost all my bookmarks, extensions, passwords, etc until I realized I had run my weekly CCleaner session. I resorted to a year old backup profile, but I'm really at a loss how the ball was dropped on this one. 

Alan_B, I'd like to note that you really haven't added much to the conversation of this thread. You've been combative and downright condescending. Next time someone submits a bug, how about allowing the devs to address the issue instead trying to butt in?

For anyone else, has anyone had success fixing their profile? Much to my chagrin, I've never synced my settings so all I have is a backup of my corrupted profile. I've looked into suggestions of fixing Chrome's SQLite databases, but everything I can find only works with Linux. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This was not an issue for the stable channel of Chrome until it was auto-updated.

Your thinking on the Auto update message is a little too small.

It would be appropriate to change the message to indicate that EVERY improvement in the cleansing power of CCleaner includes the possibility that it might cause harm instead of good,

and this applies to ALL browsers and also all non-browser applications.

EVEN MORE IMPORTANT in this particular case, but also relevant to all non-Chrome browsers, and indeed to all non-browser applications,

if such browsers and applications are auto-updated they might suffer harm from the last installed version of CCleaner if they place important things where "junk" was previously held.

N.B.

My posts have not delayed the developers.