Windows 8.1 recovery

Derek891

I'm aware that several members of the forum have upgraded to Windows 8.1. I'm also aware of the fact that an additional 350Mb recovery partition is created during the upgrade process, to work with the already existing recovery partition I assume. Two questions: Has anyone tried it yet? And if so, does it work?

I've recently visited the HP support forum and have found out that for HP owners, it doesn't. Recovery for them involves three steps: Restoring Windows 8 using the factory installed recovery partition, applying all the updates, then upgrading to 8.1 via the store. An already unpleasant task made even more unpleasant in my opinion. Which is why I haven't upgraded yet.

So what I really want to know is if you install Windows 8 using Microsoft's media, then upgrade to 8.1, does recovery work? Is it a single step process or a multi step process? If it is the former, I will probably go out and purchase Windows 8.      

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

I've just had a revelation. About a week and a half ago I was at one of the big office supply stores. I had browsed the software section and all they had was Windows 8, so I assumed that 8.1 was not yet available on DVD media, and the only option was downloading from the Microsoft store. Just a few minutes ago I was on the same store's website, and found 8.1 was available. So either they just got it in, or the store manager is trying to sell off all his old stock before putting 8.1 on the shelves. Having the physical installation media for 8.1 would certainly make things much easier as far as installation and recovery are concerned. But I am still curious if recovery works for those who have updated from Win8 to 8.1 via the Microsoft store. 

@Andavari - That is certainly the way to go if I decide not to spend the $95-$100 for Windows 8.1. Make an image using Macrium then stash it away on a USB stick. ;)

• Moderators

Derek I made a system image using the built-in Windows imager on 8.1 once I got things how I wanted.

Then I made another image with another imager I use (AX64)

As Win 8 was installed via a Microsoft disc I don't have the recovery partition.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Thanks Hazelnut. Just to clarify things, your disk is formatted like the first example in this link, whereas mine is formatted like the second:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825702.aspx

Edit: I apologize if it seems I'm belaboring the point here; it's just that given my history with this machine and Windows 8, having more than one means of recovery is important to me. :rolleyes:

Derek, can you give a link to that HP forum post?  I'll go look for myself, but just in case....

A while back I found out that the same situation exists for HP computers w/ win 7. 

That is, only recovery option is to use the HP recovery system.  Annoying.  

So I'm also on the hunt for a good backup software that will just skip all that and image the HDD as is. 

Candidates right now are AX 64 or Image for Windows by Terabyte or Macrium Reflect Paid.

Those aren't free, so they must be able to restore to a UEFI / GPT formatted image to bare metal. 

IFW and Macrium paid will do that, not sure about AX 64.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Hello login 123 - here is the link I was referring to in my first post: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Recovery/Upgrading-to-Windows-8-1/td-p/3025061

This person David PK seems pretty knowledgeable, I have read some of his other replies on the topic of recovery and he seems to know what he is talking about. However, I have visited other forums (non-HP) where people claim there is a process to update the recovery partition after doing the 8.1 update via the store. The thing is, I do not know what their starting point was, whether they did their original install using Microsoft's media, or if they are talking about a factory pre-installed version of Windows 8. I wish I knew for sure. What I'm trying to do is get a good look down the rabbit hole before I jump in, not after.

Here's a link to Microsoft's website, read the note all the way at the bottom of the page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive It appears to agree with HP's David PK, the recovery partition can get you Windows 8 back, then you upgrade to 8.1 via the store. They agree with Hazelnut and Andavari: do the upgrade to 8.1, then create an image for recovery.  

• Moderators

Make an image using Macrium then stash it away on a USB stick. ;)

For the sake of paranoia I'd have that backup stored twice, and include a text document with it that stores the MD5/SHA-1 hash of the backup to verify it especially if storing it off the computer on a USB stick. I'd put a copy on a hard disk partition since restoration done from a hard disk is going to be relatively fast, and another duplicate stored off the computer.

Edited by Andavari
fixed typos