Defraggler

The real Kojak

#2 icon_share.png OFFLINE Derek891

Advanced Member

Posted Today, 02:17 AM

Kojak

I'd like to ask you a couple of questions. First, what were you using to defragment your drive prior to trying Defraggler? Second, how many times have you run Defraggler since you installed it? If you have used the Windows defragmenter all along, then switched to Defraggler, you are not going to get a perfect result the very first time you run it. Windows has one way of putting your files in order, Defraggler has another. I have found that if you switch from one defragment program to another, the new one needs some time to reorder your files to it's liking. A single pass is usually not enough to do this.

And try not to switch back and forth between two different defragmenters, otherwise you will just keep jumbling up your files over and over again. Find one you like and stick with it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REPLY:

I am CompTia A+ certified, Network+ trained and VERY familiar with what you're talking about. I did not make the mistakes you mention. I gave Defraggler ample opportunity to do as it pleased. Amongst other pursuits on my primary PC, I gave Defraggler an entire day, with many passes effected on the alternate PC in question. Defraggler never brought the framentation level below 27% .There aren't any issues with this clean, fully updated installation of Vista Home Premium x64. The system is conflict free and well protected from viruses, malware and spyware.

Thank you Hazelnut. I was searching for that post by kroozer last night and gave up because my eyelids kept reminding me it was time to go to bed. Also, another setting that should not be overlooked is illustrated by kroozer here: http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=35459 to Stop VSS when defragmenting.

In reply to Kojak: If you still show 27% fragmentation after making multiple passes with Defraggler, it appears something isn't right with the settings. Make sure you have these three settings checked off before you try again: Exclude the restore point file, the hibernation file, and stop VSS on the NTFS volume.    

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

• Moderators

we all use whatever software works best for us, if you prefer P* D*, stick with it.

for others, it may be DF - whatever gets the job done.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

from a "why is it so?" point of view, it would have been nice to get a resolution to your problem, if for no other reason, than to help the next person with a similar incident.

you don't mention whether or not you gave the suggestions offered by @hazelnut a try before reverting back to P* D* ....

from the anecdotal evidence, at this point in time, it seems only to be a problem with your usage of DF and changing the settings may help.

and just being curious, what made you try DF in the first place if PD was working for you?

" you don't mention whether or not you gave the suggestions offered by hazelnut a try before reverting back to P* D* ....".

Actually, I did. Before the suggestion was made herein.

" I am CompTia A+ certified, Network+ trained and VERY familiar with what you're talking about. I did not make the mistakes you mention. I gave Defraggler ample opportunity to do as it pleased. Amongst other pursuits on my primary PC, I gave Defraggler an entire day, with many passes effected on the alternate PC in question. Defraggler never brought the framentation level below 27% .There aren't any issues with this clean, fully updated installation of Vista Home Premium x64. The system is conflict free and well protected from viruses, malware and spyware ".

Per**** D*sk it is, for me.

• Moderators

my mistake - must have missed it where you state you tried turning off checking restore points, hibernation file and volume shadowing.

but you have a running defrag program and that's the main thing.

edit:  Sarcasm removed by the sarcaster. 

Seriously, this topic is turning into an advertisement for P****** D***. 

Maybe it was never more than that to start with. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.