Need for Security

I wish to inform you for those of you that trust all gov opinions and town decisions,

many of these people are even more clueless than you and may even know less.

I have repaired a computer for a town that they were using, had customer records and all.

No antivirus what so ever installed. No firewall, no nothing. I basically had to educate them

because they were a town, and they should have known better. They were mistakenly thinking

that they can tell if they have a virus, just don't click when it asks. Viruses these days are automated, and spyware install behind your back via silent installs. Winrar can make silent installers such as this. I located over 80 viruses on their pc. It is a wonder that some password stealer or hidden keylogger trojan did not attach to this pc. I had to run the right click and scan C: for viruses because it was so infected, that it would not allow the antivirus program to run directly through double clicking the icon for it at first.

So if you trust the gov with your privacy, with all your needs, be concerned. I bet you there are far more than one of these towns and cities, or even government offices using infected pc's.

If it can happen to one town, why can't it happen higher up also? I was amazed that these people who are supposed to be "in the know" simply are so unprepared for the simplest things should disaster occur.

Peace

Yeah, I totally agree. Most organizations use Internet Explorer as their default browser, and get an antivirus like Norton, with no firewall, and assume that their entire network will be just fine and dandy. Hate to bust their bubbles, but that is certainly not the case. Without a firewall (your first line of defense), you are basically screwed, even if you have the best antivirus app money can (or can't) buy.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

Yeah, I totally agree. Most organizations use Internet Explorer as their default browser, and get an antivirus like Norton, with no firewall, and assume that their entire network will be just fine and dandy. Hate to bust their bubbles, but that is certainly not the case. Without a firewall (your first line of defense), you are basically screwed, even if you have the best antivirus app money can (or can't) buy.

Wouldn't their network have a hardware (router) firewall? According to rridgley a hardware firewall is better than a software firewall.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Wouldn't their network have a hardware (router) firewall? According to rridgley a hardware firewall is better than a software firewall.

Grrrr, krit86lr! You're missing the point! This theoretical network is supposed to suck, remember? :lol:

So they don't have a hardware firewall or a software firewall. That said, I have heard that hardware is better, but all I use is my Zone Alarm Pro and it works just fine.

And it sounds like the town ccleaner professional user (can I call you CPU? :D) was working for didn't have anything for protection! The silly fools! I think you (krit86lr) will have to give them a lesson in security!

ding, ding!

Grrrr, krit86lr! You're missing the point! This theoretical network is supposed to suck, remember? :lol:

So they don't have a hardware firewall or a software firewall. That said, I have heard that hardware is better, but all I use is my Zone Alarm Pro and it works just fine.

And it sounds like the town ccleaner professional user (can I call you CPU? :D) was working for didn't have anything for protection! The silly fools! I think you (krit86lr) will have to give them a lesson in security!

What!?!? Grrrr, to you too! :D

My point was that (I'm willing to be wrong)...doesn't a network need a router? If that's correct then there is a firewall...right?

Please clarify. Touch? ;)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

My point was that (I'm willing to be wrong)...doesn't a network need a router? If that's correct then there is a firewall...right?

I am unsure where these viruses were coming from. But I do not believe that a network router would stop the viruses from slamming them if the routers you are referring to are other computers connecting to the town. So far as the town having one on their computer or network, no, I was unaware of any firewall softwares or antivirus softwares being on ANY of their computers. Hey, after all, they could "tell" if a virus hits them. I hope that I opened their eyes a bit.

I was more than slightly taken aback that they would treat people's data in such a careless way. Whether they had a hardware firewall, I am unaware if they did, they may have been still using dialup, but I could be wrong.

Reguardless, the point is that they should have at least have had some sort of firewall + antivirus protection.

Antispywares could have helped as well, but they did not even know about spyware programs.

As for whether or not you can call me CPU, I didn't think of that before, but hey, that is pretty cool! Lol! Yes, that is fine with me.

:lol:

Yes, networks need a router of some form; I've heard that really old networks used the old DB9 (serial) ports, and were set up with one computer hooked to the next, but never seen or used something like that, so I can't say for sure.

And most people secure their networks so that unauthorized computers can't access the network and wreak havoc, but it sounds like the network cpu worked on wasn't even that secure.

I am currently hooked up to an unsecure network. You could sit outside of my house with a laptop and use my internet wirelessly if you wanted to. But please don't; I need all the bandwidth I can get! :D

ding, ding!

One thing I forgot to mention is that whether it is because they do not know much about computers, or because they are afraid to upgrade, I have seen many business/towns that are (scarily enough) still trying to use either win 95 or win 98.

The reason this is scary is that not only do they have an older os, they have older comptuers as well usually. Some of them are trying to make it along on 300 or 400 pentium 2 or even a pentium chip, with as little as 16 or 32 megs of memory. But I have seen one that tried to make it on as little as 8 megs of memory. Loading just internet explorer took a full 5 min at least. I do not know how they had that much time.

Win 98 is probably better than either win 95 or win me, but it suffers from not running programs in seperate memory spaces. So there are programs that compete to share the same memory or disk space address, corrupting the data. Works almost as well as shredding the data with Eraser 5.7 at sourceforge.net, lol. So if you want "security" with win 98, you might be more secure than you know when your data gets crosslinked and overwritten. Heh, heh. Win 98 does have excellent ability to run older dos apps that will not work in xp even with compatibility mode running.

Win XP runs things in seperate memory spaces and is far more stable than win 95, 98, me.

:lol:

Yes, networks need a router of some form; I've heard that really old networks used the old DB9 (serial) ports, and were set up with one computer hooked to the next, but never seen or used something like that, so I can't say for sure.

And most people secure their networks so that unauthorized computers can't access the network and wreak havoc, but it sounds like the network cpu worked on wasn't even that secure.

I am currently hooked up to an unsecure network. You could sit outside of my house with a laptop and use my internet wirelessly if you wanted to. But please don't; I need all the bandwidth I can get! :D

I guess that's why I was confused. Becuse my router automatically secures my network (with a few minor configs on my my part).

I don't have any idea what a DB9 is, but it sounds awful.

:o Why is your network unsecure? Secure it!!!

This is dissappointing to me, and we usually like to think USA has the best technology. However, it will not be that way for long if things keep going the way they are. We are so embroiled in laws, lawsuits, demands, greed, "sharing = piracy" etc, that other contries are making great strides to overtake us.

There are tritium lights in other countries that are different colours of the rainbow, any colour that you want, based on a low level radiation that will not harm you but lasts up to 12 or 14 years continuously burning without going out. Think of how much electricity and cancer causing carcinogenous substances we can eliminate by using these lights in our flashlights, cars, homes. But we haven't got them yet because "they haven't been approved yet by the gov to be sure they are really safe"

There are blue ray 100 gig dvd and they are fixing to release hd dvd that are 300 gig of storage, but we may or may not see them here till they can determine if such things would "increase" "piracy"

Wireless networks here may be considered good if they extend 100 to 500 feet away, but in other countries it already exists that they have wi-fi that can be connected to from several kilometers away.

There are lights that you shake and it generates current to store in an internal battery. Magnetism is involved in the process, as that is how they make electricity by spinning coils of wire through a magnet. You shake a coil of wire up and down for 30 seconds for 5 min or more of light from an LED bulb. Highly efficient and requires no err... batteries to replace. They recently got that in the USA though. But they may not for long if oil companies get really greedy and pitch a fit.

Recently, gas companies were repriminded for raising prices, and the high profits they made. They were excused and let off the hook when they said that with this additional monies that they can research new ways to use alternative clean energies. Right, and we haven't seen that they will waste money on anything rather than give it back to the people?

This is a short list of things we are falling behind in because of latency due to being tied up in hundreds of thousands of lawsuits and legalities. More companies leave the USA every year because of this.

People are getting more time in jail due to tax evasion than criminals that shoot people in cold blood.

Does this concern anyone else besides me?

I guess that's why I was confused. Becuse my router automatically secures my network (with a few minor configs on my my part).

I don't have any idea what a DB9 is, but it sounds awful.

:o Why is your network unsecure? Secure it!!!

You have seen a DB9 (serial) port before, you probably just didn't know it by the technical name. It looks like this:

DB9M.jpg

And yeah, I'm always hooking up computers to the network wirelessly (to do repairs and such), so I just keep it unsecured. So if anyone feels like getting some free internet, come to my house, whose location I will not disclose, for fear that ECHELON will discover me. :lol:

And cpu, I think you have your media mixed up a bit. HD-DVDs will hold 36 GBs, and standard Blu-Ray DVDs are 54 GBs. Holographic 5.25" media, which is made by Maxell, can supposedly hold up to 1.6 TBs (terabytes) per disk! By the end of 2006, 300 GB models should be on sale. Should be being the key words.

ding, ding!

You have seen a DB9 (serial) port before, you probably just didn't know it by the technical name. It looks like this:

DB9M.jpg

And yeah, I'm always hooking up computers to the network wirelessly (to do repairs and such), so I just keep it unsecured. So if anyone feels like getting some free internet, come to my house, whose location I will not disclose, for fear that ECHELON will discover me. :lol:

They have spy satellites that can zoom in on a dime on a park bench and they get better every few years, if not every year. With their ability to pull in distant stars beyond our galaxy, it is no problem for them to snoop on us if they wish.

Scarey things exist that you may or may not know about. They have laser rifles capable of slicing someone's head off and no evidence is left behind. How can you track a light beam?

Subsonic and supersonic weapons exist. The subsonic ones can generate a bass frequency so low that you cannot hear it but it will make you lose control of your bowels (crap in your pants).

Radiations exist that can fry the electronics in newer cars and kill them dead if they want to stop you, but they may burn the skin.

Hopefully, they never go public with these weapons. It seems that they are not content enough with only destroying the bad guys but also the innocent people as well. When do they kill enough innocents? Or is it ok to murder any number of innocent people you want to so that you can get a few bad guys?

Why aren't there anyone upset that innocent people are killed? If one person doesn't matter, then we should not press charges next time ONE person gets killed, say your husband, wife, son, daughter, etc.

DB9M.jpg

Of course I've seen one. Just didn't know the name.

Thanks

It might not be exact, but the point I was making is that while we have so many lawsuits and are stuck in indecision either for or against, making every simple decision into a long legal struggle, our people in USA are falling behind. Other countries are a bit more lax on their laws so they move ahead.

• Moderators

They have spy satellites that can zoom in on a dime on a park bench and they get better every few years, if not every year. With their ability to pull in distant stars beyond our galaxy, it is no problem for them to snoop on us if they wish.

Scarey things exist that you may or may not know about. They have laser rifles capable of slicing someone's head off and no evidence is left behind. How can you track a light beam?

Subsonic and supersonic weapons exist. The subsonic ones can generate a bass frequency so low that you cannot hear it but it will make you lose control of your bowels (crap in your pants).

Radiations exist that can fry the electronics in newer cars and kill them dead if they want to stop you, but they may burn the skin.

Hopefully, they never go public with these weapons. It seems that they are not content enough with only destroying the bad guys but also the innocent people as well. When do they kill enough innocents? Or is it ok to murder any number of innocent people you want to so that you can get a few bad guys?

Why aren't there anyone upset that innocent people are killed? If one person doesn't matter, then we should not press charges next time ONE person gets killed, say your husband, wife, son, daughter, etc.

This forum topic is not about the above, can you please keep your posts to the point. You ramble on so much I expect most readers just skip over your posts now

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com