Recuva seems to have displaced things on my hard drive

janellesnip

Dear Friends,
I am not certain whether it is a problem with Recuva, or with me. Usually the latter... 
I got confused/excited over the sheer number of documents and files that Recuva picked up; and decided to recover ALL of them to an external hard drive. -- It seems to have recovered them to the desktop instead -- and has seemingly overwritten the libraries (for example, there are no photographs any more in "my pictures" except those recovered by Recuva last night). I am a bit confused as to how to resolve all of this. (For example, if something was overwritten by Recuva, will it now be in the trash? Will it now be discovered by Recuva if I run it again?) 

I have no idea of how to proceed (how to find out what-all might have been overwritten and stuff)
Please help if you can,
Janelle

You may be lucky if you scan again.

Unfortunately under Options the General TAB concludes with "Secure Overwrite".

I have never tried this but I believe that once you have scanned and selected any deleted files there is the facility to "Secure Overwrite" and permanently eradicate the original files.

This is a useful feature for anyone who realises that he deleted a private file that should have been permanently eradicated and put beyond recovery.

If you clicked the wrong thing after scanning, you will not find your files in trash or anywhere else.

It might be worth using the free Treesize to analyze your partition(s) and show you what remains on your computer.

I suggest the portable *ZIP version rather than the *.EXE version from

https://www.jam-software.de/customers/downloadTrial.php?article_no=80&language=EN&

• Moderators

It reads as if you have recovered to the same drive by putting them onto the desktop. However although that will have diminished the likelihood of a successful recovery - you might be overwriting what you are trying to recover - it should not have overwritten any live files. All recovered files are new allocations, and duplicate file names will be given a _1 suffix.

It's difficult to diagnose what exactly was done. By all means scan again, but I don't know what you will find.