CCleaner overwriting Opera 15+ user pref

luik

Hi, I've been observing this issue since Opera 15, now that I'm sure about what's causing it I'm posting here.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Install Opera 18, open it. Opera menu -> Settings.

2. Check "Ask where to save each file before downloading".

3. Set a different path for "Download location", for example, set the path to your Desktop.

4. Download a file through Opera, notice the save file dialog will open on your Desktop folder since you set it via the user pref above.

5. Close Opera and open CCleaner.

6. Check to clean Last Download Location in Opera's entry and run the cleanup.

7. Open Opera and download a file through it. The save file dialog will open in /User/Downloads (or /Skydrive/Documents depending in the Win8.1 user pref) ignoring the user pref.

The problem:

CCleaner is overwriting the user pref and setting the browser to a different default download location.

Expected behavior:

CCleaner shouldn't erase/overwrite the user pref.

Browsing with Opera browser elegance and mastery.

• Moderators

6. Check to clean Last Download Location in Opera's entry and run the cleanup.

Is what causes this, uncheck it

My guess is opera stores last saved pref in the same spot as set default. However the developers used a "special key" code for deleting that section, so they'll have to look for sure.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Oh!

Sorry, there are additional details I must share. The issue goes farther than that.

That "Download location" in the Opera settings is the location *only for the very first file you save*. If you chose a folder other than that it remembers it as Last Download Location and subsequent file saves will go to that Last Download Location.

That Last Download Location will be used as the de-facto default file save dialog folder until you clear the browser private data (Ctrl+Shift+Del) in which it'll reset to the Download location set in the settings.

Instead of resetting to the set Download location, CCleaner is overwriting Last Download Location with /User/Documents. That's the unexpected behavior I'm observing as I expect CCleaner to mimic the browser's clear private data (which resets the save file dialog to open in the Download location set in the settings).

So the solution isn't simply unticking Last Download Location from Opera's entry in CCleaner because *I do want to clean* the Last Download Location. The point is I want it done correctly: it shouldn't reset to /User/Documents, it should reset to the set Download Location like clearing the browser private data via the in-browser menu does.

I hope you could understand what I mean. :unsure::)

Browsing with Opera browser elegance and mastery.

I have exactly the same issue with Chromium, settings file will get corrupted. When I open Tools > Startup > Google Chrome and when I right click an extension and select Disable, it will remove all the extensions there without any warning, also settings file will get corrupted, I didn't even clean my computer yet, I only disabled Google Wallet which I don't use and it wiped all extensions and corrupted my Chromium settings file.

This similar bug has happened with 2 recent CCleaner builds, it removes extensions there though it should only disable those, it shouldn't corrupt my settings file either. I didn't have this bug in version 4.06.4324 if I recall.

Using Windows 7 and Chromium 33.

• Moderators

Please start you're own topic, it is highly doubtful that it's the same issue as they are different browsers

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 5 months later...