Safe Fixing

Oldboy

Hi,

I have learnt that under REGISTRY INTEGRITY I can safely fix all findings in "ActiveX and Class Issues". Is this the case, too, when it is about the other options, in particular "Unused File Extensions" and "MUI Cache"?

Hope again for rescue!

Oldboy

• Moderators

"Unused File Extensions" and "MUI Cache"?

Unused File Extensions are just that, unused. Lets say you opened a folder that had something named document.crap, now Windows will put the .crap extension into the registry, and of course CCleaner and some other registry cleaners will find the unused file extension.

Mui Cache is automatically built by Windows, and it also stores files you run such as .bat and .exe. Let's say you installed a Windows update named KB12345.exe and then deleted the installer, the installer filename should be in the Mui Cache however since the installer was deleted the path to it listed in Mui Cache is invalid, hence it's removal.

• 1 year later...

I found this forum while trying to determine whether it would be safe to remove an MUI Cache from my system. CCleaner regularly lists file extensions that belong w/applications that I use daily--certainly not "UNUSED". Since I can't remember every extension on my computer, I'm afraid to remove any of them. How can I know if an MUI Cache, in this case one that shows the Data field as: C:\DOCUME~1\OWNER\LOCALS~1\Temp\is-PDMJA.tmp\is-DUI4E.tmp, is safe to delete? Windows Explorer crashes more than once a day and the report to Microsoft always shows something in C:\DOCUME~1\OWNER\LOCALS~1\Temp\. Maybe this is causing my problems. Also if anyone knows why CCleaner would erroneously report file extensions as unused, please Help Help.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Unused File Extensions are just that, unused. Lets say you opened a folder that had something named document.crap, now Windows will put the .crap extension into the registry, and of course CCleaner and some other registry cleaners will find the unused file extension.

Mui Cache is automatically built by Windows, and it also stores files you run such as .bat and .exe. Let's say you installed a Windows update named KB12345.exe and then deleted the installer, the installer filename should be in the Mui Cache however since the installer was deleted the path to it listed in Mui Cache is invalid, hence it's removal.

Yes, but sometimes C-Cleaner lists .mp3 & other extentions as "unused".

Running XP Pro, 512 mb ram, 120 gig hard disk, ati radeon graphics....

Yes, this is AFTER a reboot!

Hello,

Maybe it is because it's previous user liked to autmatically update,auto start,all his software updates,security programs,along with cleaning programs ,and defraggers all at the same time.Of course if you are proudly an "heavyduty multi-tasker" you can do the same thing manually.

Plus every time something takes "forever" you cancel it,stop the task or just pull the plug.

Now your Registry and data is bent like a soft pretzel or a mobius loop.

I am still trying to cleanup and untangle this mess.

The current user has nothing to do with it being in this shape.Right ???

Twisted Metal, a very dedicated Moderator might help you out.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=8588

Good Luck,

:) davey

CCleaner regularly lists file extensions that belong w/applications that I use daily--certainly not "UNUSED". Since I can't remember every extension on my computer, I'm afraid to remove any of them.

Well before you fix anything in the Registry section CC gives you the option to save whats its removing to a reg file. You can use this option if your not sure then if anything doesn't operate correctly just double-click on the reg file to put the settings back, nothing lost. ;)

How can I know if an MUI Cache, in this case one that shows the Data field as: C:\DOCUME~1\OWNER\LOCALS~1\Temp\is-PDMJA.tmp\is-DUI4E.tmp, is safe to delete?

You can delete anything in the users Temp folder its only a temp storage. In fact I empty my temp folder when my computer starts up. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Hello,

If you are a new or inexperienced user,you may not want to try this until you gain some more experience.You may just want to read for the knowledge.

Twisted Metal, a very dedicated Moderator might help you out.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=8588

[solution] Registry Issues Keep Re-appearing In CCleaner

Thanks TwistedMetal for making this Post of yours to Dial-a Fix.

I followed your simple instructions and cleaned up some of the kinks in my Registry.

I will go back there and do a little more read and learn.

I still have a 26 item list of "unused file extensions" that CCleaner and Regseeker report but leave alone

when asked to fix or delete them.No sweat,they don't really seem to be causing any harm.

Looks like a good source of MVP knowledge and fixes there at Dial-a-Fix.Well thought out.No wonder the old version

had such a long life-span.

It has changed a little.No need to worry about "full" or "medium" versions.He has created a new version.

You may want to update your Post.Latest updates I saw were Jan. 26,2008.

Thanks Again,

:) davey

Edited by davey