Partial whole disk defrag.

Shaba1

I have a very badly fragmented HD. I recently did a whole disk format and reinstall of all my software. I got lazy and did not do my regular weekly run of defraggler of the whole C: drive. So now my HD is 39% fragmented. Unfortunately if my previous experiences are any example it is going to take at least 10 hours to defrag this drive. Is there a way of doing a partial defrag without degrading the drive's already slow performance. Years ago I stopped a defraggler session before it fully finish with the Whole C drive and its performance just sucked so I ran defraggler again and let it go overnight and fully defrag the whole drive. I am hesistant to not let defraggler run to completion again after that experience but I really do not have the time right now to let it run for 10 hours or more.

• Moderators

you must have been doing lots of things at once when you reloaded your hard drive after the format to get to 39% fragmentation in what appears to be a short amount of time.

as you have already borne witness, you may have to leave it overnight to do a full defrag.

as to a 'partial defrag' i would go to the File List tab, Analyse and sort the Fragments column into descending order (done by default) and just select the first 10, or 100 or fragments > 50, or whatever other criteria you deem fit and click Defrag Highlighted.

then repeat for the Size column and select the worst lot by some other criteria and Defrag Highlighted again.

that will defrag your worst offenders.

but it depends on what's left, if you have lots of system files that are defrag'd and not remedied by the above process then they will still be defrag'd.

it all depends on what symptoms you are experiencing; slow startup, overall performance, slow software execution etc.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Thank you for the quick answer mta.. I just save and delete things every day. Which is how it got so defragmented so quickly. Its my own fault. As I said I got lazy with doing my weekly or even twice weekly sometimes full disk defrags.

One feature that I wish defraggler had would be an estimate of whole disk defrag time based on disk size, percent fragmentation,processor speed, and ram usage. I would not have to be exact just and estimate.

• Moderators

Although not perfect, i think the current estimator is pretty much in the ball park, at least, more often than not.

It's certain better the the old MS file copy guesstimator.

And although I have no first hand knowledge(who would except the Devs), I'd be surprised if the algorithm didn't already factor in most of those things you mentioned.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 3 weeks later...

mta, you mention Defraggler's "estimator" for the estimated-time-to-defragment a selection.

In my free-version 16.809 64bit (screenshot), I don't see any indication of an estimated time.

post-67942-0-45738800-1384349568_thumb.jpg

Where is Defraggler's estimator?