Alternative options settings

smithxl

Normally CCleaner works just as I want, with the setting and options I have selected. However, sometimes I want to run CCleaner to remove cookies only - nothing else, just a quick clearout of cookies, leaving everything else untouched.

I am trying to resolve this by using the installed version of CCleaner for the main use and using the portable version for the cookies only cleaning, but I am finding it a bit beyond me to keep the two lists of "cookies to keep" synchronised.

Possible ways to go: could I find the file that CCleaner (installed) uses to list cookies to keep and then copy that to the location that CCleaner (portable) uses for the list? I could set up a batch file for that.

Could I use just the installed version but have two files specifying the cookies to keep, and use a batch file to copy the required one in before running CCleaner?

• Moderators

Have you tried checking Save all Settings to INI File in Options/Advanced in the installed version, and then copying that ini file to the portable folder?

You could either just run the clean cookies in the portable version, or extract the cookie list if you don't want the other settings carried over.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Augeas: I have done that but of course ALL the settings are copied over so the portable version is then set to clean everything else as well as cookies. I can't see how to clean just the cookies without deselecting all the other options first, which is where I came in.

Winapp2: That sounds like a solution but I am afraid I can't get the option. I open the installed CCleaner, left click Options, then right click Cookies but nothing happens, there is no item to clean the cookies.

I did wonder if I was trying in the wrong place so I again opened the installed version, right clicked on Cookies under Internet Explorer and saw options to Analyse, Clean or Restore Default State. I was then aware that there were three separate sections on which to perform this action (assuming it was the right action). Apart from cookies under Internet Explorer, there are cookies sections under Applications for Firefox and another for Thunderbird.

In any case, I did all three and each returned a message saying 0 bytes removed and all the cookies were still there.

I most certainly support any move to have the possibility of running CCleaner in more than one "mode". It seems restrictive to have one lot of settings that are pretty well fixed.

• Moderators

smithxl what member Winapp2.ini meant was to open the ccleaner program and where all the tickboxes are on the left hand side

right-click on the one which says cookies and select 'clean'

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

hazelnut: thanks for your reply. Once again I am the victim of my own too literal approach. I had already done exactly as you suggest, repeating what Winapp2.ini had already described.

Realising that my precise - much too precise - response had resulted in "0 bytes removed" and no cookies being deleted, I revisited this with a "let's have a thrash about" attitude. It was a matter of needing to close Firefox before before right clicking the cookies box under Firefox and cleaning.

When I run CCleaner fully, with all my selected options ticked, I get a warning if Firefox is not closed, and so I expected a similar warning in the case of selective cleaning. There was no warning and no cookies were cleaned. I now know how - many, many thanks.

By the way, I don't suffer from OCD; I actually enjoy a condition called Obsessive Compulsive Order. It's similar to OCD but tidier.