Windows 8.1 Will Automatically Encrypt Your Stuff.

login123

If you have a Macrium Reflect Partition Image backup of Windows 8 you can mount that as a virtual drive and use TreeSize Free to rapidly analyze the sizes of all folders and subfolders,

and launch a second instance of TreeSize to analyze your real Windows 8.1

and do a side-by-side comparison to see the cause of the 12 GB difference.

I guess that you could do the same with NON-Macrium image backups.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'd saved a Macrium Reflect image last night in case anything went wrong when I installed Windows 8.1. There are differences in a few folders but the main ones are 1. The System restore points are all gone. There are no longer any system restore points from prior to the upgrade. I think these may have been over 4GB in size in total. 2. The WinSxS folder is over 6GB smaller

Yes, that update takes a long time by all reports.

Fwiw, a bit over half way down on that page linked in the first post, it shows "How to Disable Device Encryption".

That might show you how to determine if encryption is on or off.

Also, I suspect that the encryption will be transparent to the logged in user...not sure of that, maybe someone can confirm it?

I have not tried it yet.

Indeed I won't turn the win 8 computer on until I can make some sort of restorable image that will remove that update if need be.

Studying about the best way to do that now.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

It doesn't encrpt my files... I don't see that option ether. You can safley update it.

I have never yet known a Windows Update that was safe :angry:

Even Microsoft do not think them safe or they would not create a System Restore Point as part of the installation :P