Remove Old Windows Updates

Larry365

Do you think this feature will be added anytime soon? I hope they add it into the next version.

I would guess the next version is unlikely.

Quite possibly never because. so far as I know,

Piriform uses published API's to accomplish tricky complicated high risk actions such as Secure Deletion and Defragging,

and many "experts" argue about whether files are in WinSXS with corresponding Reparse points in System32 - or vice versa,

and I have found that CMD.EXE can be in both categories :wacko:

Therefore in my view the determination of which patches have become redundant and then their eradication is a "tricky complicated high risk action".

If you are in a hurry you can always create a shortcut to a *.BAT file that launches Cleanmgr and then runs CCleaner.

http://www.ghacks.ne...e-cleanup-tool/

You can automate the process by using command line parameters the Disk Cleanup tool supports.

1. Tap on the Windows-key, type cmd, and hit return.

2. Run cleanmgr /sageset:n to save the cleanup options you want future cleanups to use to the Registry.

3. Run cleanmgr /sagerun:n to run the specified tasks using the configuration that you have saved when you ran the tool with the sageset command.

Note: Replace n with an integer value between 0 and 65535.

Additional information about running Disk Cleanup manually or automatically are provided by Microsoft.

http://support.micro....com/kb/2852386

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315246

Do you think this feature will be added anytime soon? I hope they add it into the next version.

Oops. Looks like I misunderstood the question entirely. :wacko: Good catch Alan.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

If you don't mind me asking, Hazelnut, just how long did it take to remove the 6GB? That's just over twice the amount I had. Did it take four hours or so? I noticed your battery nearly let you down at the end.

I removed 4.3gb and it took maybe 3 or 4 minutes :S

OP here. I'm surprised at all the reports of multiple gigs worth of old updates being deleted. When I ran it, I only removed about 300mb. I ran it on a mates computer today (of which I look after for them, ie update, cleanup etc) and again it was only around 300mb. I'm not sure whether this is because I have always checked through exactly what updates I install and I have never installed any Windows Defender Definition updates or hardware drivers through Windows update. Can I assume this is the reason?

OP here. I'm surprised at all the reports of multiple gigs worth of old updates being deleted. When I ran it, I only removed about 300mb. I ran it on a mates computer today (of which I look after for them, ie update, cleanup etc) and again it was only around 300mb. I'm not sure whether this is because I have always checked through exactly what updates I install and I have never installed any Windows Defender Definition updates or hardware drivers through Windows update. Can I assume this is the reason?

Assumptions are never safe - especially when the version of Windows is unknown.

My 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate APPEARS to have 6421.3 MB in WinSXS, and 3116.9 MB in System32 plus 1066.4 MB in SysWOW64

My 32 bit XP Home has 28.4 MB in WinSXS and 1121.1 MB in System32

I have not yet tried trimming the redundant old updates.

Perhaps I never will - like the last lemming I stand at the top of the cliff waiting to see if the other lemmings landed safely :P

• 1 month later...

Not to practice the forbidden art of threadcromancy, but I've just run

dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded /hidesp

and it killed another 2.6gb (from winsxs, didn't track total change) on top of what was previously removed, so I think that the Disk Cleanup may not be as thorough as dism is.

Not to practice the forbidden art of threadcromancy, but I've just run

and it killed another 2.6gb (from winsxs, didn't track total change) on top of what was previously removed, so I think that the Disk Cleanup may not be as thorough as dism is.

Interesting, just ran it myself and got the message "Unable to proceed, no service pack files found" :huh:

Interesting, just ran it myself and got the message "Unable to proceed, no service pack files found" :huh:

Same here.

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Image Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Service Pack Cleanup can't proceed: No service pack backup files were found.
The operation completed successfully.