Ccleaner and the Cloud

shankle

What do you define as "code for the cloud?"

You seem a little confused by the concept of cloud computing. If you're referring to online computational processing, then no. CCleaner only uses local system resources when cleaning your computer. If you're referring to cloud as "multiple physical servers working in tandem to create a single system"; then yes. The update checking mechanism almost certainly communicates with a "cloud" service.

What are your specific concerns?

I'm Shane.

• Moderators

Hi shankle.

I get tired of hearing this word "Cloud" (not by you I hasten to add). The cloud is just a fancy name for the internet, trying to make the practice of doing just about everything online sound more up to date and attractive.

"Cloud Storage" and suchlike is just a fancy term for "Online Storage", and the only time CCleaner goes online is to check for updates, and you can set that to manual, or go to CCleaners download locations (up there in the so called cloud somewhere) and download them yourself.

I'm not a fan of the "Cloud" either, and I wish they'd call it what it is.

EDIT: The guys on here care what users do by the way, which is why I'm adding a reply. :)

• Moderators

As this question: whether or not there is any "cloud component" to the ccleaner product:

has been asked and answered in this thread: with the reply of no.

I feel this thread needs to be closed before it erupts into some sort of political bickering.

If the original poster has something constructive to say about the actual product I or another moderator will hear them out in private and may decide to reopen it.

In closing, the closest piriform has to cloud integration is its network business ccleaner or a completely separate service called agomo.com. neither of these have anything at all to do (or ever could) with government "internet surveillance", united states or otherwise (which most governments are openly doing mind you) nor does 99% of "cloud computing". As stated above, all the cloud means is that a server is handling the computing or storage, and not a local PC. GMAIL is not a cloud; facebook, not a cloud. Basically, no matter where you personally are located, if you don't want "them" looking at "your" data there is only one way, don't use the internet, get a prepaid dumbphone with no internet connection and only e911 gps(in u.s.), and never ever leave your home (for fear of all the public/private video that is EVER PRESENT).

EDITED FOR CLARITY

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com