SELECTED DATA RECOVERED ON SAME DRIVE ACCIDENTALLY.... DATA RECOVERED, BUT MOST FILES CORRUPTED

gk999

I Accidentally selected "Recover Data on same drive? as YES"..... Recuva did showed & recovered my data, but the data now, is corrupted.....Picture files are not getting opened (damaged or corrupted). EXE files, when run, says "this version of file is not supported by current windows version, etc etc.....WHAT CAN I DO NOW???? PLZ HELP..

• Moderators

Not double-posting always helps.

Depending on many things, including how many files were recovered, either:

As the files were recovered the data being written overwrote what was being recovered, corrupting the data,

or the files being recovered were corrupted in the first place.

Picture files seem to be commonly corrupted on recovery, for reasons I don't know why. Corruption occurs more easily on FAT drives. Exe files are best reinstalled.

I don't think there's much you can do, try another application to open the pics - you might find some usable, reinstall the exe's.

• 2 weeks later...

Ya Augeas, i cant do anything abt my lost data nw i guess......the data ws of abt 25 gb......at 1st i hd recovered a folder of 3gb (pics & videos), which ws properly restored as i recovered it on other drive.....the next time when i went to recover rest of the data, i accidentally selected to recover on the same drive & got screwed....

The last thing i tried ws checking file signatures (headers), in hex......eg: i opened a .jpg using hex editor, go to see the header is something diff, i changed it to .jpg's header but tht too didnt help....

Anyways thanx 4 d reply......