Speccy Graphics section, Unsafe?

Hinata

Hello Hinata. I have no experience running multiple monitors, but one thing caught my eye immediately. You have them set at two different resolutions, 1600x900 and 1440x900. Could that be the reason? Does the second monitor support 1440x900 resolution? Maybe another forum member with more knowledge about running multiple monitors could comment on this.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

Yes, I have two montiors. The HP w1907 max is 1440 X 900, the HP x20LED max is 1600 X 900. They also have the required monitor driver. They are in extended mode, so I have more real e-state and can do more things then normal. The HP X20LED is dvi-d, the HP w1907 is VGA. They are great montiors.

Hello again Hinata. It looks like no one else is coming to the rescue, so we'll have to muddle through this on our own.

I have a HP Envy DV7 laptop with an AMD A10-4600M processor with Radeon HD 7660G graphics, so it looks like we have similar machines. I right clicked on my desktop and opened the AMD Vision Engine Control Center. Then I clicked the Desktop Management tab on the left side and opened Desktop Properties. In the settings box, there are only three screen resolutions available: 1600x900, 1280x768, and 1024x768. 1440x900 is not an option.

I then went to the Windows Control Panel, and under Appearance and Personalization, I clicked Adjust screen resolution. Then I went through the steps to add a second monitor, and enabled Extended Mode. I then selected the second screen and found that you can enable 11 different screen resolutions for the second monitor, one of them being 1440x900.

So here is the question that needs to be answered: Does your AMD Radeon 7340 support 1440x900 resolution? It seems that Windows allows you to select a screen resolution for your second monitor that might or might not be supported by your AMD graphics card. Here's what I suggest: Go back to the Windows Control Panel and select a resolution that is supported by your AMD graphics card. Then run Speccy again to see if the result changes. I hope this helps you. If not, you'll have to wait for someone with some real knowledge to offer their advice.

Hello again Hinata. It looks like no one else is coming to the rescue, so we'll have to muddle through this on our own.

I have a HP Envy DV7 laptop with an AMD A10-4600M processor with Radeon HD 7660G graphics, so it looks like we have similar machines. I right clicked on my desktop and opened the AMD Vision Engine Control Center. Then I clicked the Desktop Management tab on the left side and opened Desktop Properties. In the settings box, there are only three screen resolutions available: 1600x900, 1280x768, and 1024x768. 1440x900 is not an option.

I then went to the Windows Control Panel, and under Appearance and Personalization, I clicked Adjust screen resolution. Then I went through the steps to add a second monitor, and enabled Extended Mode. I then selected the second screen and found that you can enable 11 different screen resolutions for the second monitor, one of them being 1440x900.

So here is the question that needs to be answered: Does your AMD Radeon 7340 support 1440x900 resolution? It seems that Windows allows you to select a screen resolution for your second monitor that might or might not be supported by your AMD graphics card. Here's what I suggest: Go back to the Windows Control Panel and select a resolution that is supported by your AMD graphics card. Then run Speccy again to see if the result changes. I hope this helps you. If not, you'll have to wait for someone with some real knowledge to offer their advice.

They are supported. The hp w1907 is 1440 X 900 native, and I am Windows 8 x64. I have 1440 X 900 on the other montior as an option, but I don't use it as its non-native. Thinks for trying to help. I just want to know why it says unsafe state. If anyone else can help me, thinks. Anyway, they are supported and it says so in graphics on windows display and amd radeon catalyst.

They are supported.

How do you know that ?

Are you reading that from the manufacturers literature claims,

or is it promised to be valid when you follow Dereck's method and

I right clicked on my desktop and opened the AMD Vision Engine Control Center. Then I clicked the Desktop Management tab on the left side and opened Desktop Properties. In the settings box, there are only three screen resolutions available: 1600x900, 1280x768, and 1024x768. .

Do you see "1440x900" as another valid option ?

How do you know that ?

Are you reading that from the manufacturers literature claims,

or is it promised to be valid when you follow Dereck's method and

Do you see "1440x900" as another valid option ?

In screen resultion, they are as follows:

HP X20LED Series Wide LCD Montior: 1600 X 900 (Recommended) and

HP w1907 Wide LCD Montior: 1440 X 900 (Recommended)

and yes I have tried all his methods.

In screen resultion, they are as follows:

But under the same Screen Resolution Derek also saw the 1440 * 9000 setting as something that could be enabled,

but it was not something that was available under Desktop Properties.

Windows is naturally perverse and mischievous,

and I would consider it quite natural for it to allow both Dereck and yourself a screen Resolution of 1440 * 9000 and say it is recommended,

and if either of you choose that setting then it may allow you to proceed with what Speccy considers to be Unsafe,

BUT Windows may secretly know for itself that the setting is Unsafe,

and the only hint it will give is that if you have NOT enabled an Unsafe option under Screen Resolution,

then it will NOT be listed along with the safe options under Desktop Properties etc of "1600x900, 1280x768, and 1024x768"

But under the same Screen Resolution Derek also saw the 1440 * 9000 setting as something that could be enabled,

but it was not something that was available under Desktop Properties.

Windows is naturally perverse and mischievous,

and I would consider it quite natural for it to allow both Dereck and yourself a screen Resolution of 1440 * 9000 and say it is recommended,

and if either of you choose that setting then it may allow you to proceed with what Speccy considers to be Unsafe,

BUT Windows may secretly know for itself that the setting is Unsafe,

and the only hint it will give is that if you have NOT enabled an Unsafe option under Screen Resolution,

then it will NOT be listed along with the safe options under Desktop Properties etc of "1600x900, 1280x768, and 1024x768"

I have "HIde modes that this montior cannot display" unchecked, which does not matter because only 60 herze is avaiable. On the HP w1907, however, 75 hz is available, but it goes off screen every time I use it, so I leave it at 60 Hertz as well.

Also, do you really mean 1440 X 9000? I think you meant 1440 X 900, because that is beyond the bandwidth of both DVI-D and VGA if 1440 X 9000, and I know 1440 X 900 is native resoultion ( both on screen display and Windows Show it is, go look up HP w1907 for specs.

Hello again Hinata. I spent some time yesterday on AMD's website to learn more about using the Catalyst Control Center. I'd like to ask you one more question. When you set up your second monitor, did you use the display settings in the Windows Control Panel to do it, or did you use the AMD Catalyst Control Center to do it? And if you did, did you enable the advanced settings in the Catalyst Control Center, or did you use the standard settings? You can select the advanced settings by clicking the Preferences tab on the right side when you first start the Catalyst Control Panel. (I forgot to mention this in my previous post because when I first got my machine, I enabled the advanced settings and never changed them.)

I think using the Catalyst Control Panel to set the resolution on your second monitor is important, because that way you would be choosing a resolution setting that is compatible with the Radeon HD 7340 graphics card. After that, go back to the Windows Control Panel and check to see if Windows has copied the same resolution setting. If not, enter it yourself. Also, make sure your monitor supports the same setting. When you're all done, run Speccy to see if the unsafe message goes away.

By the way, is your computer one of the Zotac mini cubes? I did a Google search on the Radeon 7340 and found it was the only desktop machine that used it for graphics. I almost bought one a couple of years ago but ended up buying a HP Mini 210 instead.

Hello again Hinata. I spent some time yesterday on AMD's website to learn more about using the Catalyst Control Center. I'd like to ask you one more question. When you set up your second monitor, did you use the display settings in the Windows Control Panel to do it, or did you use the AMD Catalyst Control Center to do it? And if you did, did you enable the advanced settings in the Catalyst Control Center, or did you use the standard settings? You can select the advanced settings by clicking the Preferences tab on the right side when you first start the Catalyst Control Panel. (I forgot to mention this in my previous post because when I first got my machine, I enabled the advanced settings and never changed them.)

I think using the Catalyst Control Panel to set the resolution on your second monitor is important, because that way you would be choosing a resolution setting that is compatible with the Radeon HD 7340 graphics card. After that, go back to the Windows Control Panel and check to see if Windows has copied the same resolution setting. If not, enter it yourself. Also, make sure your monitor supports the same setting. When you're all done, run Speccy to see if the unsafe message goes away.

By the way, is your computer one of the Zotac mini cubes? I did a Google search on the Radeon 7340 and found it was the only desktop machine that used it for graphics. I almost bought one a couple of years ago but ended up buying a HP Mini 210 instead.

Desktop, but HP p2-1343w. It was released one year ago. I did use resolution on Windows 8, but Catalyst shows the same thing. By the way, running Windows 8.1. I guess it's fine as long as it works, however.

• Moderators

Desktop, but HP p2-1343w. It was released one year ago. I did use resolution on Windows 8, but Catalyst shows the same thing. By the way, running Windows 8.1. I guess it's fine as long as it works, however.

Speccy does not officially support beta Operating Systems, so the fact you are running 8.1 may indeed be a factor. Have you attempted a restart of the machine? Are you running speccy with full UAC privileges?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Speccy does not officially support beta Operating Systems, so the fact you are running 8.1 may indeed be a factor. Have you attempted a restart of the machine? Are you running speccy with full UAC privileges?

Yes, I am running Windows 8.1. Yes, I am admin on my account. No, restart machine does not help. As long as it works, I guess it is OK. By the way, this has been this way before I updated to Windows 8.1, so OS is not the same thing ether. In fact, on my old XP and vista machine(which I threw away) the dual montior configeration has always been unsafe in speccy. This was a long time ago, when Speccy was beta though. I am running a new version ( the latest) so as long at it works, I'm OK. You can close this thread, as I won't be replying anymore, or interested in this thread. Thinks for trying to help, though. Again, thinks for the support.

• 2 years later...

Sooo... here I am a few years later, asking the same question. I've had no problems with my PC until (begrudgingly) upgrading to Windows 10. Now, Speccy tells me that my display settings - or should I say, 'state', is 'Unsafe'. Here's the C&P for your perusal:

Name HP S2031 on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750

Current Resolution 1600x900 pixels
Work Resolution 1600x870 pixels
State Enabled, Primary, Unsafe
Monitor Width 1600
Monitor Height 900
Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Frequency 60 Hz
Device \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0

My 'default' setting for this monitor, as per Windows, is 1600x900, I have no idea what 'Work Resolution' means or comes from or whatever - and the fact that it says 1600x870 has me a bit unsettled. Is there anyone that could possibly have an idea what the 'unsafe' setting actually means? I've seen 4 total posts with the word 'unsafe' in them, and they're all the same spot, same everything - monitor settings, but not a single person from the 'Speccy Peeps' have ever commented on any of these posts. I'm hoping - nay, praying, that I'll get some kind of official response here, if not for me, than for the collective 'us' that have been trying to find out what 'Unsafe' means in Speccy for 6 years now... anyone? someone? Bueller?

• 1 month later...

I believe that it is usually a (unofficial) resolution you are using or a driver that needs an update.  You might check if you have the latest Nvidia drivers.