CCleaner has removed sound?

GARYBRXXX

A few days ago I lost all sound from my custom-built Windows 8 PC. The messages read 'No audio devices are installed' and 'Hi Definition audio device has a problem' and 'not fixed'.

My repair man believes CCleaner has messed up the registry and a lot of work needs to be done to fix it and not to use CCleaner in future. I never customise the check boxes. Any thoughts?

Many thanks for your quick reply.

I have checked how I use CCleaner. I only use the cleaner, being a scaredy-cat. I never touch the other options. I have used CCleaner for at least five years without problems. This PC is a custom build which has worked fine for the last three months until now. Windows 8, no disc. I use AVG free, AntiMalwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials.

I think I know where this is going but would like your thoughts.

• Moderators

I wonder if reinstalling the sound drivers would fix it.

Also forum member had mentioned in the past about a service that may mysteriously get turned off/disabled called "Windows Audio" which should by default settings have the startup type of Automatic.

• Moderators

any reason for running two AV programs?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

If you are using Windows 8 you will not be using Microsoft Security Essential you will be using the one especially for Win 8 which is known as Windows Defender.

It is definitely not a good idea to run 2 anti virus at the same time (you say you also use AVG)

If you have never run the registry part of ccleaner I think the cause may be something other than ccleaner.

Re-installing the sound drivers etc shouldn't be a big job for a PC repair man.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Thank you Andavari. My speakers are Creative T20 which do not have drivers. I also tried the x-mini portable speaker through the front speaker jack with nil result.

I can't find Windows Audio yet.

I did try my last Restore Point but that didn't help. The machine is now with the builder.

I don't think it's aproblem with CCleaner. Perhaps a virus?

Regards.

• Moderators

speakers do not have drivers - you are correct there.

the sound card (either built into the motherboard or an add-on card) does though.

as said above, reinstalled the sound card drivers should do the trick.

I guess the builder will be taking care of that for you hopefully.

(it never hurts to check the volume level, mute function, speaker power switch and power cable as well - you'd be surprised how often it's the little things !!!)

Hi mta,

I always thought the soundcard/motherboard could be the problem. I haven't been given any documentation for the PC. Could I re-install the drivers if I had their specs?

I've got a feeling Defender was already disabled.

I would like to get to the bottom of this because I don't want to stop using CCleaner.

• Moderators

Perhaps a virus?

Not necessarily.

I know on my system I have to install two sets of sound drivers, one for the onboard audio built into the motherboard, and one for the creative sound card, without both I have no sound. So you may wish to look into that should your system actually have two soundcards.

(it never hurts to check the volume level, mute function, speaker power switch and power cable as well - you'd be surprised how often it's the little things !!!)

It's also easy to accidentally plug the speakers into the wrong jack on the back of a PC. When dealing with a speaker system with a sub-woofer also make sure it's plugged into an electrical outlet, and is turned on. I know this is simple stuff, but the simple stuff can get the best of us sometimes.

• Moderators

I always thought the soundcard/motherboard could be the problem. I haven't been given any documentation for the PC. Could I re-install the drivers if I had their specs?

at the very least the system builder should have passed on the motherboard driver CD.

but if not, a quick look at the motherboard will give you the manufacturer and model details needed to look on the manufacturers website and you can download the required drivers directly.

'Alan_B' timestamp='1378482189' post='239343']

You have no documentation [/i]for the PC from this builder.

Would this builder happen to also be the repair man who is blaming CCleaner :huh:

Hi mta. You would be correct. I too am a suspicious person but I trust this guy. He has worked on avionics for 20 years including those on the Merlin helicopter featured at the end of Skyfall. And any friend of James Bond is a friend of mine!!

Hi mta. You would be correct. I too am a suspicious person but I trust this guy. He has worked on avionics for 20 years including those on the Merlin helicopter featured at the end of Skyfall. And any friend of James Bond is a friend of mine!!

Sorry, reply is to Alan_B.

Many thanks for the good advice I received from you all. My repair man has reinstated the sound and I agreed to going back to Windows 7.

I think CCleaner is a great product and will continue to use it.

Still don't know the cause of the problem. I have some reading to do.

Restore points in Windows 7 seem to be of limited use, do older ones disappear?

I am about to create a system image on a portable HDD.

Older and Wiser!

Thanks again from Gary.

• Moderators

Restore Points are indeed of very limited use, mainly due to the very limited areas they cover.

They are absolutely no substitute for a backup regime.

Glad to hear you are doing imaging of your system - in case you haven't heard of it or picked it up from discussions on other threads, do yourself a favour and have a look at Macrium Reflect.