Won't keep the cookies I want

grits2

I'm still on version 4.02.4115

Windows 7 64 bit

IE 9

I like to keep cookies for the weather channel 'cuz I'm watching at least 2 - 4 locations. I move everything with "weather" in the name to the "Keep" column but the keep getting deleted. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you,

grits

I had a similar problem. I was trying to save my settings for startpage.com via saved cookies. Like you, I entered startpage.com under the section "Cookies to Keep" and wondered why my cookies were deleted and my settings for startpage.com always returned to the default settings.

The problem wasn't with CCleaner; Norton Internet Security detected these cookies as "Tracking Cookies" every time I ran a scan, and deleted them. You have to go into Norton's scan settings and change the setting for cookies from "Delete" to either "Ignore" or "Ask Me". If you don't have Norton, look for similar settings in whatever AV product you use.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

• Moderators

Never Mind missed it in description

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Also make sure you don't have your web browser(s) configured to automatically delete them when you close the browser(s).

Nope, don't have that set. I'm probably doing something wrong when I select the cookies to keep when I run CCleaner?

• Moderators

Is this the Weather Channel you're talking about ...

http://uk.weather.com/

If so it appears to use two cookies, "weather.com" and "uk.weather.com".

If you select them in the left "Cookies to Delete" column and then move them across to the right "Cookies to Keep" column, then you're doing it right.

It's possible the info you're losing may be kept somewhere else. I'll have a bit play around with it and see if I can come up with anything. But don't hold your breath. :)

EDIT: And a cookie called "www.weather.com", which is where my 3 chosen locations were saved.

This is using Firefox, so with IE9 it may be similar, but if not they do also save settings into "Local Storage" and one of the other guys will have to explain that one as I don't have IE9.

Thanks Dennis, I'm in U S A but yes that's the one. After I'd lost them so many times, I just picked everything in cookies list that had anything 'weather' in it to move to Keep side.

post-23564-0-07227400-1377634309_thumb.png

• Moderators

Another thing grits ... after you set up your locations across the top of the page, are you saving that finished page as a bookmark?

I discovered that if I didn't open up that same page, and my original bookmark was for a page I accessed before I landed on the one where I set up my locations, then the saved locations don't appear.

Also if you use another browser, you have to set up the locations again for the different browser.

If after this you still can't keep your saved locations we'll try and get some friendly member with IE9 to access that page, set up a couple of locations and then tell us where the data is stored.

The fact that one doesn't have to register to do that means there's no excuse to give it a try. :)

EDIT: Give the latest version a try grits, it solved a similar problem here ...

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=39273#entry238940

Latest version: (File Hippo)

There isn't a slim version of CCleaner available at the moment.