Filename in status section during defrag

Nobby1805

Yes and no. Keep in mind just how fast read/write operations take place on your hard drive. If every single filename was displayed, you would see nothing but a blur on your screen, provided your graphics display kept pace. What you're seeing is there just to give you a sense of what's going on. It's only a fraction of all the files being processed.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

Yes, that's clear ... but it doesn't fit to the observed behaviour that was the reason of my question ...

Sorry, I didn't describe it in my first post

I defraged a partition with a few but heavily fragmented files. Then I saw lots of small yellow (read) and one big green (write) bar, but the shown filename was not NOT in the list of fragmented files (and I think it was only moved but not defraged). This was not changed for more than one Minute.

So I think the filename shows the last recently processed file

Sorry Nobby, looks like we misunderstood each other on your original post. Like you, I just use Defraggler, I didn't write the code. If I understand your second post, you're asking why some files are being displayed but are not being defragged? I can only point you to some of the settings options, then maybe you can check to see if the file in question is included or excluded by your settings. Click "Settings", then "Options", then look at the following tabs:

1.) Quick Defrag Tab: Default or Custom: If you have Custom enabled, then files will be excluded based on your settings. I leave this set on Default.

2.) Exclude Tab: Any files listed here will be excluded.

3.) Advanced Tab: See if the "Use custom fragmentation settings" line is checked. If it is, click the "Define" button. You then have the option to exclude the restore point files or the hibernation files. I leave these settings checked, excluding them during a defrag.

I hope this helps you. If not, you'll have to wait for someone with a bit more knowledge than me to answer your post.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

Click on the TAB marked "Drive Map"

You will see different colours that can be applied to any square.

On my system YELLOW denotes a block being read, and GREEN denotes a block being written.

Obviously defragging involves reading data from one sector cluster and writing it to another.

Even if a file is fully defragged and in contiguous sectors,

it may have to be read from one block (YELLOW) and written to another block (GREEN) as part of a full defrag of everything.

There is no reason to exclude the names of contiguous files that are being shunted around,

especially since there may be a temporary gap in the sequence when the first chunk is moved to a new position and the next chunk is waiting to join it again.

Derek81 & Alan_B: thanks for your answers, but that doesn't fit to my problem ... all that is known and understood

I think it is difficult to describe my problem with understandable words ... and I guess the question can only be answered by a developer

Starting a defrag I saw after the analyzation that there are less than 10 fragmented files, some minutes later the drive-map showns lots of yellow squares (yes, that are frgaments that are read) and one big green bar (that's the target where the defragmented file was written to)

This was shown for more than 1 Minute because it was a big file.

The shown file name In the Status section was Outlook.pst ... but this file was not in the list of files to be defragged (Tab File list)

I think there are two alternatives:

1. The yellow squares showed the fragments of Outlook.pst ... but than this file was missed in the file list ----> Bug!

2. the yellow squares belongs to one of the files in the file list ... than the shown file name ist wrong, maybe it shows the not-fragmented file that was last recently moved for free space defragmentation ---> minor flaw

The shown file name In the Status section was Outlook.pst ... but this file was not in the list of files to be defragged (Tab File list)

So what - just because it does not need defragging does NOT prevent it being read from one region and written to another region of the disk.

If you want a definitive answer from a developer you may need to pay the license fee for the PRO support.

So what - just because it does not need defragging does NOT prevent it being read from one region and written to another region of the disk.

[/Quote]

that's clear ... but you still not understand the reason why I asked my question :(

If you want a definitive answer from a developer you may need to pay the license fee for the PRO support.

that is not a big problem ... but I (in the old days as a developer) was glad to get Information about bugs or flaws

post-67192-0-51593200-1377709518_thumb.png