Windows 8 and MS account logins

aqtech

I've been troubleshooting why Windows 8 keeps logging me out of my MS account and may have narrowed it down to CCleaner's actions. I'd like to know where this information is stored and if its location corresponds with one of CCleaner's cleaning options. This way, I can either uncheck the option or just exclude the offending file or directory. Any info would be greatly appreciated, as I keep having to log back into my account to use account-linked apps.

Edit: using the latest version 4.04.4197 portable

• Moderators

I'm running a linked account and don't have this issue, are you running the registry section of ccleaner?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I'm running a linked account and don't have this issue, are you running the registry section of ccleaner?

I did just after re-installing the OS. Fwiw, this was a recent issue within the last couple of weeks. It occurred even after OS refresh/reset. I've tried restoring backups of registry to no avail.

• Moderators

since you're running portable can you attach your ccleaner.ini file (remove any sensitive information but) I'm interested in your

Selected Apps

Includes

Cookies to keep

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

Thank you for the quick replies. Here is my ccleaner.ini file--there shouldn't be anything personal on it to begin with, as I only really have one custom path that is usually disabled. Here is the full text from the file:

[Options]

UpdateKey=08/16/2013 08:26:53 PM

CookiesToSave=crunchyroll.com|google.com|login.live.com|mail.google.com

WINDOW_LEFT=594

WINDOW_TOP=278

WINDOW_WIDTH=733

WINDOW_HEIGHT=524

WINDOW_MAX=0

(App)Autocomplete Form History=True

(App)Saved Passwords=True

(App)Windows Error Reporting=True

(App)Mozilla - Saved Passwords=False

(App)Mozilla - Compact Databases=True

(App)Google Chrome - Saved Form Information=True

(App)Google Chrome - Saved Passwords=True

(App)Google Chrome - Compact Databases=True

(App)Game Explorer=True

(App)Google Chrome - Internet Cache=True

Include1=PATH|C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\|*.*|RECURSE

(App)Custom Folders=False

(App)Mozilla - Saved Form Information=True

Edit: I should note that at one point I was using the winapp2.ini file for more entries. I stopped using it after I started running into this issue.

• Moderators

I'd start with unchecking Saved Passwords as the obvious one

re your edit: thank you as we would have had to ask you to do that in order to provide help.

Just to make sure, your Windows' Log-in equals your Microsoft Account (linked) or no (unlinked)

Edited by Nergal
clarification

• Moderators

Point of information worthy of a double-tap on thread

are you using Webroot on you machine? (per moderator comments http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-security/why-cant-i-sign-into-windows-8-with-my-microsoft/7662ea57-c321-4bfe-84e9-fc9ebb87a44b?page=6 )

or a non-standard keyboard layout?

Here's the solution from that thread(spoilered in case it's not you issue

We have identified a problem where some users can’t sign into Windows 8 with a Microsoft account.

Symptoms:

1.       You get an error that your password is incorrect when signing in on a PC running Windows 8.

2.       On a different PC, you can successfully sign in to sites such as account.live.com using the same email address and password.

There are two possible causes for this issue.

Keyboard Language Layout changed

PCs configured to support more than one language will display the current keyboard language layout in the lower-right portion of the sign-in screen, directly to the left of the power icon.  For example, EN is displayed for English.

·         If you see a language option, make sure you’re entering your password with the correct language characters.

·         If this doesn’t fix the problem or you don’t see a language indicator, continue reading.

Webroot Software

Webroot antivirus software prior to version 8.0.2.79 mistakenly removes core Windows 8 operating system registry entries required for Microsoft account sign in.  If you are running a version of Webroot prior to 8.0.2.79, you should update immediately.

For updated information from Webroot, please visit http://www5.nohold.net/Webroot/Loginr.aspx?login=1&app=vw&solutionid=1397

Here are several options to get back into Windows 8.  We recommend you try these in the order presented.

Options

If you are able to sign into your computer using a local account, do so and update your Webroot software to the latest version.   After rebooting, you should be able to sign in with your Microsoft account.

If you only sign into your computer with Microsoft accounts, and they all return the ‘password is incorrect’ error, you will need to reset or restore your computer to a point prior to Webroot being installed in order to sign in to update Webroot.

To Restore or Refresh your Computer

Locate the power menu on the Windows 8 sign-in screen.  While holding down the “Shift” key, select “Restart”.  This will put your PC into System Recovery. 

Important:  If you’re prompted for a password, enter the password that you used the last time you successfully signed in to your PC.

Option 1: System Restore.    This option will allow you to roll your PC back to a working restore point.  Any system changes made since that restore point will be lost.

From the System Recovery screen, select Advanced Options.

Select System Restore. Your PC will restart and prepare the System Restore experience.

Choose an account name to continue and enter the last good password used on the PC.

In the System Restore window, click Next and select the Show more restore points check box.

If one is shown, select a restore point at or before the Webroot installation and follow the prompts to complete the system restore.

When returned to the sign-in screen, if you still can’t sign in, perform the same steps and select an earlier restore point until you are able to sign in.

Once signed in, we recommend you uninstall Webroot until Webroot has shipped an update to address this problem.

If you do not have any system restore points, you will need to do a system Refresh.  This will restore all Windows 8 operating system files, and also backup your files and folders.  Any programs installed will need to be reinstalled.  This process requires you provide the original Windows 8 media that came with your computer, as well as any media you used to install other programs.

Option 2: System Refresh.  This option will restore key system files.  It will uninstall any third- party applications, but won’t affect personal settings and files.

1.       From the System Recovery screen, select Refresh. You’ll see a screen that explains what actions will occur.

Your PC will restart and a refresh will occur. When this is completed, there will be a file saved on your desktop with a list of programs that were uninstalled.  Don’t reinstall Webroot until an update to fix this problem is released, but feel free to reinstall any other programs on the list.

2.       Sign in with the same password you used to start the refresh process.  Once you’ve signed in, if you have changed your password online you’ll be prompted to enter that new password once Windows 8 fully loads.

Edited by Nergal

I'd start with unchecking Saved Passwords as the obvious one

re your edit: thank you as we would have had to ask you to do that in order to provide help.

Just to make sure, your Windows' Log-in equals your Microsoft Account (linked) or no (unlinked)

No, I use Norton and a standard US keyboard layout.

Well, I think the issue was related to the winapp2.ini configuration. I replicated the problem once after deleting winapp2.ini and making a new ccleaner.ini file, but haven't been able to since. It is now functioning just fine. The odd thing is that I've been using the winapp2.ini for years without issue--and on Windows 8 since launch (along with my MS account. I wonder if a new entry was added (that I subsequently) marked for removal) that deletes the necessary files or if Microsoft changed anything in an update?

• Moderators

glad things are working out, there are a number of win8 entries in the winapp2 template I've got to check my PC to see if I've got any unchecked

Thanks for taking the time to help, as I appreciate it.

I suppose I will re-enable my winapp2.ini and go through one by one to see if I can narrow down what may be causing it. I should eventually find the culprit. If by chance you stumble across the offending entry before I do, please post it here. Or, if it wouldn't be an issue, if you wouldn't mind posting what you have checked for your Win 8 installation, minus any custom entries. That would at least give me a starting point, as my old configuration obviously wasn't working anymore...

• Moderators

Will do, good hunting :)