A Little Advice

Warlock

To My Good Friends on the Forum, I checked around here first but could not find what I needed. I am a devout Defraggler user and have been pleased with it thus far except for some reason it likes to take a coffee break usually around 67% accomplished. Shamefully I just noticed that my system Windows Professional w/SP3 has a defrag feature. Do you folks recommend one over the other? I wanted to get some ideas before attempting to use it. Would appreciate any thoughts from you when you get a minute. Take care and thanks so much to all.

Warlock

If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain. (Emily Dickinson-1830-1886)

• Moderators
Windows Professional w/SP3

Warlock, do you mean Windows XP?

if so I'd prefer defraggler on XP, personally.

as far as "coffee break" for how long (it may just be that the drive and map are trying to catch up with eachother

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

My good friend Nergal,

Thank you so much for your kind and prompt reply. Apologies, I felt something was not quite complete after I wrote. I have Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3 to be more specific. The pause in Defraggler I referred to occurs predominantly around 67% point but has occurred at times at other stages in the process. The stoppage usually lasts for a few minutes then moves on. You'll think I've lost my senses but sometimes tapping the "Pause" then "Resume" I've noticed starts the process along. Probably just me in my crazy relationship with this computer from H*** Read my Interests and those of rridgely.

Something else I forgot to mention. I have a 75G hard drive divided with "C" having 70G and a "Q" portion having 5G. Bear in mind someone set all this up for me and stated to pay no attention to the "Q" sector as it only dealt with recovery if I remember correctly and I should not be concerned. I'm not certain if that should be defragged or not, am at such a loss. I hope I have explained things adequately and would appreciate any further thoughts from you. Thanks so much once again for devoting the time to me. Greatly appreciated.

Warlock

If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain. (Emily Dickinson-1830-1886)

• Moderators

Hi Warlock.

The "Recovery Partition" I would leave well alone, although you probably wouldn't be able to defrag it anyway as it should be protected against being accidentally "messed with".

It's there to enable you to restore your computer to "Factory Condition" should it ever be completely screwed for whatever reason.

It's a good thing to have although installing all the Windows Updates after doing a "Recovery" can be a bit of a pain.

If Defraggler gets stuck, you can maybe see in the status window which file or files it's actually working on. Might be relevant.

post-8751-0-18255900-1375475410_thumb.jpg

Edited by DennisD
: Screenshot added.

If you spend 1 hour defragging your computer it may run slightly faster in the remaining 7 hours of the day.

If you do not bother to defrag it will do more work in the 8 hours available that day,

but after a week or so you possibly break even.

Your Q:\ recovery cannot have any effect on normal use of System C:\.

Hopefully you will never need to use Q:\, and if you do use it you should be finished in less than 1 hour.

You can never benefit by defragging the recovery partition.

Well now, I have certainly been deluged by my great friends on this issue. May I thank in addition to Nergal my good friends Dennis and Alan for jumping in on my problem. You're terrific and I thank you so much for clarifying. Just had to step on another land mine before signing on and it looks like I will have to move on over to another section and ask for some more much needed help so please watch for me in Windows Security. It never ends. Thanks again guys so much and take care.

Warlock

My Good Friend Nergal,

Just wanted to drop a line to let you know that out of habit I ran Defraggler and it seems to be moving along well enough. I will, however when past some other issues try the one you suggested on Windows just to see how it compares to the aforementioned. Just wanted to stay in touch and thank you once again for your kind gesture. I'll let you know what happens. Fair enough? Take care as always.

Warlock

I still haven't had the opportunity due to issues to experiment with Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3 defrag. Before attempting a comparison I wanted to ask my dear friends if there is a way to cut down on defrag time as have heating problem. I've trimmed some of my saved files to shorten the stuff that is scanned. Can free space for example be excluded from defragging in either to shorten the time for the process. Would appreciate greatly any suggestions. Take care all.

Warlock