Slowwww Slog thru IE portion of a cleaning/removal

Being paranoid about cookies and the intrusive tactics of various companies (usual suspects - google, yahoo, microsoft) ensures I usually run CCleaner several times per day, every day, for years now.

I only use FireFox (v22.0 - always kept updated), haven't used IE or Outlook since the mid-00's BUT I still want to clear anything associated with IE/MSFT just in case the ghost of Bill Gates' parasites are littering behind my back.

Typically, CCleaner's been pretty fast, well under a minute to scan and purge. However, with the last two updates (possibly a v4.01.something and now the latest v4.03.4151(64-bit) ) the bloody thing seems to get stuck in the IE portion for over a minute just to clear one to three tiny Temp Internet and History files before speeding up and finishing in under maybe 15-seconds. I haven't knowingly changed any settings nor have I added any new security features to the multiple layers I've used for a long long time and religiously update weekly.

Only major software change I made while on the previous CCleaner version that overlapped the newest CCleaner version was the (regrettable) installation of Diskeeper's nagware defragger trial. I thought maybe their atypical methodology of continuous background monitoring/defragging might be a cause, but a thorough purge of that trial hasn't sped up CCLeaner.

Any insights into the IE delay/hang would be most appreciated.

FWIW, with the past couple updates I'm also experiencing painfully slow CCleaner window launches if it even launches at all. Often, my impatient clicks of the desktop icon are followed by a surprise explosion of multiple CCleaner windows as each impatient click was apparently buffered for my convenience. cough I reinstalled this latest one tonight and at least for now, it's back to launching instantly.

(recommendations of "Don't click more than once" aren't necessary, I habitually do this with elevator buttons too, only thankfully I've never caused a multi-car pile up due to click buffering)

Dell Inc. Studio XPS 435MT x64-based

MS Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2

Microsoft Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (Build 6002)

Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes, Wireshark, SpywareBlaster, Spybot, Secunia, Belarc

• Moderators

IE version?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

you potentially have a few alleys to go down.

not sure where to start really, as you sort of are giving mixed messages.

firstly, you haven't used IE in 8'odd years (me too, solely Firefox, and more recently Pale Moon) so I'm not sure why the sudden paranoia is with IE, or why CC is getting stuck in IE cleaning.

if you don't care about. or use, IE, exclude it from CC cleaning.

if you still 'want to make sure' and have CC deal with IE, I guess the next step is to get IE up-to-date and working.

either uninstall the current version and have Windows automatically reload the previous, or just install IE9 or IE10 and see what happens.

you can always remove them if nothing changes.

as with most IE's, the initial releases seem to cause some side-effects, so your past experience may have stemmed from that, retry IE9 and see how you go.

(although IE10 is OK, sucks...less as they say, it seems to have a few issues with index.dat, and with CC, so maybe stay away from the for the time being)

• Moderators

nor did I @MikeW when I gave it a spin but there seems to be some, for whatever reasons, that it (IE10) and/or Win7/8 and/or CC appear to have caused grief.

LOL @MTA's "Sudden paranoia" misinterpretation. No mixed messages intended, not sure where you read between my lines to jump to that conclusion since it's NOT sudden by any means. I've NEVER trusted Gates Inc. since I first used Win3.1 and IE whatever - they've delivered a continual waterfall of security holes, bugs and bloat.

I simply said I haven't used IE in years (estimated mid-00's but I've no grasp of time) though for a time I was willing to keep a current IE on my system in case an FF upgrade broke more than it's normal share of add-ons and plug-ins and I wasn't in the mood to do a complete reinstall and destroy all my custom FF and NoScript settings. It's the only reason I installed IE9, and promptly uninstalled it when I didn't like it and went back to IE8 which remains unused but accessible in an emergency. Reluctant to try IE9 again, or 10 because with anything MSFT you can almost count on glitches when you back out of an upgrade. System Restore has never worked for me since they first implemented it. Regardless the problem, I think I've always gotten a typically cryptic error msg, to wit: "System Restore could not complete, nothing's been restored." Perhaps I should have long ago acquired decent cloning software and learned how to use it so I could just reformat and start anew but there are only so many hours in a year.

The noticeable drop off in CCleaner performance speed (during the IE portion of a purge) has only been occuring for a few months (this and one previous update), I was just slow to posting a query about it.

Obviously I could exclude IE from the cleaning, but as something is still depositing a couple tiny files in IE history and another subfolder - and I prefer to purge extraneous detritus - I'll just live with this hiccup. I was simply wondering aloud if anyone knew why it now takes so bloody long for CCleaner to roll past the IE section.

Thanks for trying to help guys.