Zero Fragmentation?

darren1979

I've been running defraggler for about seven weeks, constantly. It often gets down to a really low figure like 2 fragmented files, and four total fragments, and zero percent. But then without making any changing to my system ie un/installing any programs or updates. It will jump back to four percent again. Is it possible to get any lower, to zero percent fragmentation?

Another thing is, Windows 8 defrag gives a totally different figure. It say's my my hard drive is zero, more often than not. Then showed it was one percent, while piriform defraggler was three percent. Also on windows defrag. It shows the system separately. As being eight percent fragmented, and you can't get it any lower than that. My computer is about three years old. Can I get it to a similar standard, as when I bought it?

• Moderators

I doubt whether your pc had zero fragmentation at new. Windows defrag doesn't count large fragments (64 mb plus, I think) as fragmented. I don't think you'll reach zero fragmentation, unless you discount system files, and if you did (by running Defraggler for seven weeks, constantly) it wouldn't last very long.

• Moderators

If you haven't done so already, you probably need to exclude stuff like "System Volume Information" (System Restore) and maybe "Pagefile.sys".

These are in a constant state of flux, and are therefore fragmenting to one degree or another most of the time.

I'll link you to one of Kroozers delightful screenshots ...

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=38065entry230608

Hope that helps.

• Moderators

just to site a very recent example, i reloaded XP on a machine last night, fresh install, did the whole reload then of AVG, CC, DF, MWAB, Office, Adobe, drivers etc.

i then do a defrag just to make sure the PC is in tip-top condition before I handed it back, and it was already sitting on 4% fragmented.

and that was making sure each task is done sequentially, not in parallel.

so even a brand new one will never be at 0% - it's the Holy Grail.

and in the off chance to do get lucky and reach 0%, the very next reboot will put all that work to waste.

as to the different percentages with the different defrag programs - that's exactly what you would expect with using two different algorithms and software.

constantly running the defrag process for weeks will be of little point apart from giving your HD a damn good workout.

most people only get an actual noticeable benefit in doing a defrag maybe once every 3 or 6 months.

anything more regular than that and you simply won't see a benefit considering the time taken & wear incurred versus any speed boost.

of course there will always be the exceptions - and in the end - each to his own.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.