"/Auto" argument

dancejoe

• Moderators

I've never tried it with /Auto with only the first letter capitalized, hence when you click Options the About screen has this listed:

Command-line parameters:

/AUTO - Runs the cleaner upon loading and then closes the application.

I've never tried it with /Auto with only the first letter capitalized...

I thought that Command Prompt wasn't case sensitive. Perhaps I was wrong? I know that with folders and files, case doesn't matter.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

• Moderators

In any event to run it via a shortcut you'd input these parameters, including the quotes, all Windows OSes:

"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\ccleaner.exe" /AUTO

or on WinXP:

"%ProgramFiles%\CCleaner\ccleaner.exe" /AUTO

it's case sensitive because that's the way the program was made. IIRC, Case Insensitivity can be accomplished using LCase in VB

I didn't ask why it was case sensitive; I asked if it was or not. And I was right about files and folders; case makes no difference whatsoever. If you open a folder in all caps (C:\cd GAMES), in all lower case (C:\cd games), or sentence form (C:\cd Games), it still does the same thing with no quibbles. And I tested this in both command.com and cmd.exe, both yielding the same results.

So evidently the only time case matters is when you are typing in a parameter, such as AUTO. I haven't personally tested this out, but I am going by what you guys wrote.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

• 1 year later...

On my systems, typing in all upper case, or mixed case, makes no difference - nothing happens. Same result when I tried from the CCleaner folder, and from the root of C drive.

I am running XP SP2, with all current patches, TrendMicro OfficeScan and Windows Defender.

Over the last year or so, I have tried on several occasions to get the /AUTO parameter to work, to no avail.

Could it possibly some kind of rights or permissions issue? I use the Security Configuration Analyzer (an MMC plug-in) and a security configuration template published by NSA, to harden my systems (disable anonymous access, null access, user account enumeration by anonymous users, etc.). I don't normally have any problems, and it really cuts down on network-based attacks from infected machines. I did, however, find that PageDefrag requires that administrators have debug rights, a slight variance from the NSA standard template. CCleaner runs fine with the GUI.

• Moderators

You have to leave a black space between the .exe path and that argument/parameter (note the example below has a red underline in it, it's however just there to show where the blank space is supposed to be):

"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe"_/AUTO