Removing valid registry key

Bones

I am new to CCleaner and ran a scan to fix any registry issues and found a bug.

I noticed that a macro program I use, MacroMaker, no longer works. I did this twice to be sure and noticed that it finds the registry key "HKCU\Software\ARM Software" with the Date field being "ARM Software" and it detects this as an Obsolete software key.

Upon removal, the program shortcut looks for the installer instead of launching the program.

This is why a backup function is included in the program. There's always a slim chance something like that can happen, with any reg cleaner (and with some, it's not that slim).

CCleaner is probably the safest cleaner around, but nothing's ever 100% safe. I don't back up everything the Issues scan finds, because I'm an experienced user and I recognize many of the entries that come up as safe to delete. If I see anything I don't know for certain is safe to delete, that gets backed up. If you're a beginner you should always back everything up.

Now that you know there's a problem with deleting that particular entry, uncheck it when it comes up, so it doesn't get deleted.

• Moderators

My purpose for posting this bug was to hopefully get a false positive bug fixed and make the CCleaner that much better.

The problem with registry cleaners is that they can be easily fooled.

For example a key referring to "C:\Apps\app.exe" will be seen as valid. Whereas keys such as "\??\C:\Apps\app.exe" will make some registry cleaners think it's an invalid key when in fact it isn't. You just have to pay close attention to what any registry cleaner wants to remove, if you suspect anything always investigate (if possible) if a particular file really does exist. Investigating for registry errors to confirm what a registry cleaner wants to remeove however won't always leave you with a conclusive answer!