Commission on the Theft of American Intellectual Property

hazelnut

• Moderators

Buried in this 84 page report are little gems like this

Additionally, software can be written that will allow only authorized users to open files containing valuable information. If an unauthorized person accesses the information, a range of actions might then occur. For example, the file could be rendered inaccessible and the unauthorized user’s computer could be locked down, with instructions on how to contact law enforcement to get the password needed to unlock the account.

Sounds like a version of Ransomware doesn't it.

http://blog.emsisoft.com/2013/05/27/seriously-usa-to-legalize-rootkits-spyware-ransomware-and-trojans-to-combat-piracy/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I wouldn't put anything malicious past the entertainment business, I'm surprised they'd ask for permission to plant malware versus just going ahead and doing it and "apologizing" later.

The entertainment business already has a track record of planting rootkits, just remember back about the Sony BMG rootkit on music CDs.

I can only imagine the backlash should their malware wrongly determine computers as pirate machines, they could be sued blind.

I wouldn't put anything malicious past the entertainment business, I'm surprised they'd ask for permission to plant malware versus just going ahead and doing it and "apologizing" later.

The entertainment business already has a track record of planting rootkits, just remember back about the Sony BMG rootkit on music CDs.

I can only imagine the backlash should their malware wrongly determine computers as pirate machines, they could be sued blind.

Yep.

I don't see this thing as driven by the entertainment industry (maybe naivete on my part), but you can bet they are all atwitter at the idea.

And the "sued blind" part is why they want to legitimize the whole deal by invoking government authority.

And their involvement is the very factor that will block it. Imho.

But still, there is a real need to protect important stuff like the formula for Coca-Cola, the wiring diagram for the B-2 Bomber, and the income of starving authors.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

http://blog.emsisoft.com/2013/05/27/seriously-usa-to-legalize-rootkits-spyware-ransomware-and-trojans-to-combat-piracy/

While not currently permitted under U.S. law, there are increasing calls for creating a more permissive environment for active network defense that allows companies not only to stabilize a situation but to take further steps, including actively retrieving stolen information, altering it within the intruder’s networks, or even destroying the information within an unauthorized network. Additional measures go further, including photographing the hacker using his own system’s camera, implanting malware in the hacker’s network, or even physically disabling or destroying the hacker’s own computer or network.

They propose to obtain geographic location of the intruder so they can launch a Nuclear Drone.

for today only this is "not currently permitted under U.S. law"

• Moderators

...and the income of starving authors.

Those authors and in this case I'll say individuals and bands making music will be kept ravenous because it's big recording companies that make all the money