New Firewall

JohnDemolition

...and so far both of em really piss me off...

What is it you are looking for in a firewall? I've used ZA for a long time now, and I absolutely love it; I never get viruses, and it isn't too difficult to use. How long did you try out ZA and Kerio? Maybe you need to give them more time. I know that at least ZA will give you crap about just about anything you try to run, but that can be adjusted, and personally, that is one of the things I like about it. It lets me do everything manually, so nothing runs without my permission.

If you could list what you want in a firewall, and what it is that you didn't like about the aforementioned, that would be helpful. Anyway, here are some other firewalls you can try out. I haven't used them, but I know some people who like them.

Outpost Firewall Free 1.0

Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6.2808

Let me know what you think.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

ZoneAlarm is just an unstable firewall which doesnt allow data to be sent through the internet if the TrueVector Service crashes(happens a lot)

Kerio causes problems with uTorrent and DC++. it doesnt let uTorrent log on to DHT and it doesnt let me Search with DC++.

as for your suggestions, the first one is crap. i used it once and didnt like it. also the last time it was updated was for win98 or 2000(i can't remember which)

as for sygate, wasn't that firewall bought by Symantec last year?

As for your suggestions, the first one is crap. i used it once and didnt like it. also the last time it was updated was for win98 or 2000(i can't remember which)

as for sygate, wasn't that firewall bought by Symantec last year?

I have heard that Outpost wasn't tested on XP, so I never had the nerve to try it out. And since I've been using ZA, I've had no reason to switch to anything else. Sorry to hear about your instability issues; I've heard that those existed in older versions, but I use version 6.1.737, and I have no problems whatsoever, so maybe the errors you encountered have been fixed since you used it.

I believe you are correct about Symantec buying Sygate, but I'm not positive, so don't quote me. :)

ding, ding!

nope. the version of ZA that i used is the same one. the only version of ZA that i loved using was 5.5.94. i used that one for a long time untill it stopped saving the changes to the program permissions.

right now im trying out Sygate's firewall and it seems to work very well for the moment.

...the only version of ZA that i loved using was 5.5.94...

right now im trying out Sygate's firewall and it seems to work very well for the moment.

That's strange; I didn't like the older version, because I would periodically get a trojan or two even with it running. However, I really haven't had any trouble with the newest version. Sorry to hear about that.

Glad that Sygate is working for now; I guess time will tell.

ding, ding!

You can keep look around but probably you wont find anything good if you know what a firewall should be.

Most firewalls for Windows are more toys.

I stick with the default Windows XP SP2 firewall, it is not good, but neither are the alternatives either.

For a real firewall, you would have to get a hardware firewall or iptables on Linux or PF on BSD.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Are you (JohnDemolition) still using the Sygate firewall? And if so, how has it been working for you?

ding, ding!

O really, no option to never register? That is dumb. So it starts up every time your computer starts? Why don't you look at your startup apps and see if the registration is a separate program that is unrelated to the firewall itself. If it is, you can try disabling it with MSCONFIG, restart the computer, and see how that works.

So anyway, you like it better than ZA I assume? Maybe I'll test it out on one of my Win98 SE computers and see how I like it.

ding, ding!

i cant say i like it better than ZA. it's just the only good firewall that's working for me right now.

ok i just registered for the heck of it and the nag screen seems to have dissapeared. thank god i didnt need to buy the firewall.

anyways it's really a nice firewall. it lets you know when you are being portscanned, hijacked, and other important stuff. it also lets you backtrace the portscan which means you can find out who portscanned you and from where. really nice.

...it also lets you backtrace the portscan which means you can find out who portscanned you and from where. really nice.

That is cool. I wish ZA had that feature. Of course, even if I could trace them back, what would I do? Send them a virus?! lol

ding, ding!

<sarcasm>you could prolly hack em via bash shell. of course if the government catches you...</sarcasm>

Yoos a funny dude! :P

But yeah, would you be allowed to report them if you caught someone accessing your computer illegally? I mean, by finding out who did it, aren't you illegally gathering info about them, or is this particular case okay? And how would you report them?

Maybe Sygate should integrate some sort of automatic informer that emails the internet crime-stopping group in charge of cutting down on this sort of activity.

ding, ding!

lol. i dont think it's illegal to gather info about them because you are using a website to gather where he lives and all that stuff. according to the logs, the website is "rwhois://rwhois.verio.net:4321/"

but portscans arent really a big issue if you have a good firewall. i think that sygate accually blocks the portscan but im not sure.

What firewall do you use Stephen?

I have nothing against free firewalls. I wouldn't be ashamed to use the free version of ZA; I just like the Pro version because it gives me a few extra little features.

In my opinion, Kerio and ZA (whether free or Pro) are probably the best there is anyway. And evidently Sygate is good too. I can't think of any commercial firewalls that could do any better than those. I'd rather use those than say, Norton or McAfee's firewalls which you have to pay for.

ding, ding!

@JohnDemolition

about registration i Sygate:

just restart your PC and on boot you just fill in fields (if i remember in free version, Sygate is asking for e-mail and Name only!?) but do that when you are not connected on internet and that is all! No more boring pop up to register!

@lokoike

Norton have one of the best firewall engine, but they did not develop it good so it's not good as i used to be (earlier this was AtGuard firewall (not maded bu symantec) but...)

@JohnDemolition

just restart your PC and on boot you just fill in fields (if i remember in free version, Sygate is asking for e-mail and Name only!?) but do that when you are not connected on internet and that is all! No more boring pop up to register!

Well, I suppose registering isn't a big deal, if you don't mind having to deal with spam. But personally, I don't like spam, so maybe I'll just forward it all to you :) . j/k

And even if you register when not connected to the internet, I'd be willing to bet that Sygate just waits until you do connect, and the it sends the info to its server.

Norton have one of the best firewall engine, but they did not develop it good so it's not good as i used to be (earlier this was AtGuard firewall (not maded bu symantec) but...)

How can you say they have one of the best firewall engines, and in the same breath, say it wasn't developed good? Seems kind of contradictory to me.

That's fine if you like their firewall, but my ZA keeps out way more crap than Norton could ever hope to.

ding, ding!

ok i sad something very rattlebrain so let me explain:

AtGuard was very good firewall but since Symantec bought it, this engine was not developed enough!

that was my point (but i wrote something else :oops:)

[note]my english is bad so dont crab (i dont know the meaning of this word) on me

@JohnDemolition

i already stated in a few posts back that i did register and now it doesnt show up anymore

ok i sad something very rattlebrain so let me explain:

AtGuard was very good firewall but since Symantec bought it, this engine was not developed enough!

that was my point (but i wrote something else :oops:)

[note]my english is bad so dont crab (i dont know the meaning of this word) on me

I see. So you feel that Symantec's firewall was previously good, but now it lacks what it once had. Fair enough. I have only used newer versions of Norton's firewall/antivirus (2003+), so I can't speak for how it used to be; maybe it was once a good app.

Anyway, wasn't trying to pick apart your English, so sorry if it came off that way. Your statement simply didn't make sense to me, that's all.

ding, ding!