Norton Good or Bad

Vanguard382

I think there should be a law for things like norton have you ever tried to uninstall Norton?

This is a very good point, Nortan is very hard to remove without the removal tool, so it conflicts with any AV you put on after it.

Also it slows down your pc alot, you say you need a good high end pc to run it, but why should someone have to have a exspensive PC to run nortan when there are free ones that use less resources and do just as well or even better.

Best one to use is called Avast Anti-virus: http://www.avast.com/

Second best but one you have to pay for is called Kaspersky: http://www.kaspersky.com/

--lee

What do you guys think about norton would yuo say and part of it is good or sould i get ride of it and go with somehting else??

Plz Help

After a long haul with Norton, I gave it up after much consideration about 2 years ago now. I never installed it on my current computer. I would suggest kaspersky (Pronounced kass-per-skee not kass-per-skyy). It is fantastic and when you scan with it, it scans for spyware and viruses. It protects your PC from letting spware and viruses in and warns you when they are attempting. I would suggest it to anyone.

However, AntiVir is the best free one I think. It is ideal, it definetly gets the most files. And it's humerous too, Luke Filewalker is the name of the scan.

Norton products are awful. They won't integrate with other Norton products without blowing up... they won't upgrade to newer Norton product versions without blowing up... every Symantec knowledgebase article invariably leads to 'uninstall/reinstall', which is usually the reason you are there (because an uninstall failed, or the initial install failed)... and as previously mentioned, the removal tools don't remove everything (I'm not too far away from making my own, argh) and leave you unable to reinstall... it's pathetic. Then there's liveupdate which makes you update 30 times in a row, rebooting each iteration. Why can't there be a rollup? Why can't the 200x version be up to date for once? Right when NAV 2005 came out, there's 963,440,721 MB of updates for it. What gives? Norton Corporate is OK though; it doesn't have *as many* problems.

On the other hand, McAfee Antivirus/Security Center crashes a lot and is very obtrusive (popup windows more obtrusive than XP notify balloons, asking you if you want to continue what you were doing or be annoyed some more - both answers lead to annoyed some more)

So that's the main two.. then there's all these runner ups, half of which nobody's heard of, or they are brand new to the scene.. claiming to get all viruses. Well, they all suck. I have Norton Corporate Edition (which is half decent), and I only use it because other users are on my machine that make starfish mistakes. I personally never get infected with viruses or spyware.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

What do you guys think about norton would yuo say and part of it is good or sould i get ride of it and go with somehting else??

Plz Help

Oh.....Norton definitely sucks as software and as a company. I had a whole suite of their software on my computer. It intertwines so deep in your system that there will always be unremovable chucks floating around. Many viruses it did find it couldn't do a thing about. First it would find one and couldn't delete it. Want it quarrentined? OK, well it couln't do that either. Want NAV to ignore it on the next scan? OH baby what a way for software to NOT help you! (It happened many times). I had NAV start screwing up, meaning it wouldn't auto update because according to their website, NAV had a virus itself! I went to their site and did all their proceedures to fix it and no sucess. Had their techs in INDIA work with me for an hour and a half and they couldn't fix it, meanwhile they damaged other Norton programs like PC anywhere, etc. Their final advice was to buy the lastest new version of Norton system works. BUT my subscription was NOT over yetI Wrote the company...no response...yes I was nice at first ...then I told them how great they were and I would dereccomend them to as many people as I could. I switched back to Mcaffee and so far it has worked smoothly. There was one virus that mcaffee and several internet antivirus programs couldn't remove, because windows said it needed it! So since I had the file name, I exited to the DOS command prompt and deleted it myself. As a side note, many people I know and myself agree that these antivirus companies create most of the viruses to keep themselves in business...sorta like the Mafia...only worse! LOL -Keep smiling- :)

...many people I know and myself agree that these antivirus companies create most of the viruses to keep themselves in business...

No they don't.

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

It's just propaganda. People have been saying that crap for years. No antivirus company that wants to stay in business has ever created a virus. There are plenty of people in the company who would know/find out about it, and there are plenty of people who would love to ride the coattails of breaking news about that sort of revelation. They would rat out their corporation in an instant, for financial or political gain. Antivirus companies spend too much time in the lab analyzing the viruses that are already out there to even need to consider making their own.

It is fear, uncertainty, and doubt on the part of those who do not understand.

These allegations usually come from the same people who claim that Microsoft puts backdoors in their products, or any number of other nonsensical Microsoft claims.

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

Exactly, I mean, I'm sure it hasn't crossed their minds. But the whole workforce that is involved in making the Anti-Virus program (whichever one it may be) would be pretty big. Somewhere there would bound to be a leak if it was true. :mellow:

Exactly, I mean, I'm sure it hasn't crossed their minds. But the whole workforce that is involved in making the Anti-Virus program (whichever one it may be) would be pretty big. Somewhere there would bound to be a leak if it was true.  :mellow:

It's probably crossed their minds, but the risk would be too great.

• 2 weeks later...

My 0.02 worth:

Norton 2004/5 and Win XP SP2 can butt heads and totally screw up a system. Symantec's uninstall instructions can cause more harm than good. Symptoms: too many to list here, but can include an inability to install or uninstall programs, plug and play not working, unable to use LiveUpdate or Windows Update, application crashes, etc. on top of being a massive system hog.

I used to recommend Norton/Symantec over all other a/v programs. Now, after working on three machines with these issues, I advise everyone who will listen to stay far, far away. Symantec so far has not acknowledged this issue. It seems to happen especially if Norton 2004/2005 is installed first, then SP2 is applied later. It also seems to be related to the WMI update that Norton applies. Just do a quick search on "Norton WinXP problems", you'll see all kinds of trouble. Here's a good link: Norton 2004 gripes If you do choose Norton, good luck with your RAID array, and good luck with activation procedures!

While we are at it, in my experience MacAfee is useless. That whole AOL protection suite is useless. Actually, WORSE than useless as it misses stuff and lulls AOL junkies into a false sense of security. I clean more spyware and virii off AOL boxes "protected" by MacAfee than anything else. On top of that, running the stupid AOL software along with the useless MacAfee junk is even more of a resource hog than Norton.

I've DONE the research. Absolute best antivirus available - NOD32. If you're not dual-booting, then Trend Micro is excellent, and about $20/yr. cheaper. Both use minimal system resources and have won consistent 100% awards from Virus Bulletin for years. More important than that, they actually detect and REMOVE infections in the real world. I just used NOD32 to clean a Trojan horse out of Norton's Protected Recycle Bin files on a client computer this weekend. If Norton can't find a virus in its own system files, do you trust it to keep you safe?

Freeware? AVG, by far. Tried them all, AVG is the most user friendly and has a very good detection rating.

There, I feel better. Thanks for a great freeware product, CC is the best!

I work for a PC repair company, most of the virus infested PC's that come in have Norton products installed. I need not say more...

I too recommend Avast. I have run it across my whole company for six months now and not a single virus has made it through. When you consider we place approx 6-12 infested machines on our network a day, it is a good testament. The boot time scan is most excellent for already infested machines.

i used norton antivirus 2004 for around 2 months... (can't even believe i kept it that long) Norton is the worst antivirus i've ever used. It is slow, RAM hogger, always has to scan every single program you are using and it gets annoying and slows your computer. AVG Antivirus is very good. If you are not a computer geek i recommend you use it. I personally use NOD32 Antivirus. It is amazing. It constantly scans your computer without slowing it down a bit. It has extremely fast scanning. It scanned my 30 gb of data in 7 minutes. It found viruses that AVG and norton could not find. NOD32 also updates very often. Unlike Norton that updates around once ever week and a half, NOD32 updates daily and sometimes even 3 times a day.

Plz Help

i don't like Norton AV if that's what you are talking about, it's a resourse hog and is far too difficult to uninstall which both mean poor programming. then there is the nonexistent support. you shouldn't have to put up with any of those things especially when there are better AVs around. but, if you have it installed already and aren't having any problems with it i would keep it, but uninstall the real-time scanner and go with Anti-Vir. it has the best heuristics of the free AVs. then you can use NAV as an on demand scanner. doing that you should find a marked increase with your computer's speed.

i don't like Norton AV if that's what you are talking about, it's a resourse hog and is far too difficult to uninstall which both mean poor programming.

Actually it means the installer they use has issues, and they did not fully set everything in the installer properly.

Actually it means the installer they use has issues, and they did not fully set everything in the installer properly.

:blink: am i missing something here? the installer has issuses? doesn't that mean bad programming?. and what about setting up the installer incorrectly? wouldn't that be poor programming too?

or are you trying to say that maybe the installer was made by a different company so it doesn't count?

:blink:  am i missing something here? the installer has issuses? doesn't that mean bad programming?. and what about setting up the installer incorrectly? wouldn't that be poor programming too?

or are you trying to say that maybe the installer was made by a different company so it doesn't count?

I'm unsure whom Norton uses for installers, but I think it may either be InstallShield or WiseInstaller. Surely you've noticed when you uninstall things they often say not everything was uninstalled?

Symantec usually uses the Microsoft Installer system. There is nothing wrong with any of the aformentioned installer systems, except when people write shoddy scripts, such as Symantec has. Norton-products have file and registry permissions problems, shared DLL problems, WMI problems, and since it uses the IE core it then can have ActiveX problems, WSH problems, Zone problems, etc... there's an unlimited number of ways to ruin a Norton installation/uninstallation.

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

Symantec usually uses the Microsoft Installer system.  There is nothing wrong with any of the aformentioned installer systems, except when people write shoddy scripts, such as Symantec has.  Norton-products have file and registry permissions problems, shared DLL problems, WMI problems, and since it uses the IE core it then can have ActiveX problems, WSH problems, Zone problems, etc... there's an unlimited number of ways to ruin a Norton installation/uninstallation.

Yeah, the first step is buying their product.