Windows 7 start panel emptied

thany

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a missing feature or anything, but I've been seeing this problem on a couple of computers now. Every time I run CCleaner, the Windows 7 Start Panel list gets emptied as well, even though all options that could potentially do that, are unchecked.

In the "Windows Explorer" section, the only checked option is "Thumbnail Cache".

In Options->Advanced, the option "Enable Windows Jump List Tasks" is checked.

I'm not sure what this option is for, though. Does the word "Enable" mean to clean it, or to NOT clean it? The wording does not clearly reflect what it does either way.

Anyway, I would like to keep my Start Panel menu intact when doing the cleaning, please. I know this is possible - I have seen systems on which it does work. Same version, same everything, as far as I can tell.

Running CCleaner 4.01.4093, Windows 7 x64 SP1.

Do not worry about the meaning of the word.

Just focus on the consequence.

There is no consequence if there is no tick in the box.

If something is ticked then something will be deleted.

• Moderators

To be honest Alan, that doesn't help thany in any way at all, and help is being sought.

In Options->Advanced, the option "Enable Windows Jump List Tasks" is checked.

I'm not sure what this option is for, though. Does the word "Enable" mean to clean it, or to NOT clean it? The wording does not clearly reflect what it does either way.

Anyway, I would like to keep my Start Panel menu intact when doing the cleaning, please. I know this is possible - I have seen systems on which it does work. Same version, same everything, as far as I can tell.

If you can't reply with a constructive answer, then really, what was the point?

@ thany. I can't give you any definitive advice on your problem as I don't have Win7 therefore no personal experience with the Win7 start panel or "Jump Lists", although I can tell you that "Jump Lists" are the items that appear when you right click on items on your task bar, and I've taken that explanation from a previous post made by another member, Winapp2.ini.

I'm sure some of our members running Win7 will contribute if they can help at all.

Edited by DennisD

To be honest Alan, that doesn't help thany in any way at all, and help is being sought.

Sorry, I disagree.

Thany wants to retain "the Windows 7 Start Panel list",

and did not know whether "Enable" meant an item would be cleaned or NOT cleaned.

I gave an immediate and correct answer that regardless of the wording the corresponding item will NOT be cleaned if there no tick in the box.

If Thany suspects "Enable Windows Jump List Tasks" as the cause of loss,

my answer is sufficient to know that when a suspect is NOT ticked then either that prevents loss, or that if loss continues a further suspect must be sought.

Sorry, but that is all I got, but I thought it might nail it.

Sorry, I disagree.

Thany wants to retain "the Windows 7 Start Panel list",

and did not know whether "Enable" meant an item would be cleaned or NOT cleaned.

I gave an immediate and correct answer that regardless of the wording the corresponding item will NOT be cleaned if there no tick in the box.

If Thany suspects "Enable Windows Jump List Tasks" as the cause of loss,

my answer is sufficient to know that when a suspect is NOT ticked then either that prevents loss, or that if loss continues a further suspect must be sought.

Sorry, but that is all I got, but I thought it might nail it.

I agree with Dennis. Too often your responses are uneccessarly agressive or OTT.

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

I agree with Dennis. Too often your responses are uneccessarly agressive or OTT.

You quoted my reply to Dennis who is not only a friend, he is also a Moderator and does not need your defence.

I am sure he would have advised me if my explanation of my first post was not acceptable.

Or perhaps you thought my first post to Thany was aggressive and OTT - I disagree either way.

I will oppose error with truth and firmness and am sorry that you consider this aggressive.

I will extend to you the courtesy of assuming your criticism is due not to malice but lack of understanding of what I posted to Thany,

so I will explain more carefully for the benefit of yourself and anyone else who misunderstands my meaning and motivation.

I take it as axiomatic that Piriform developers have good intentions and will not wilfully cause confusion and danger.

I therefore trust, (but have never actually tested), that each and every option box denotes some aspect of a computer installation which will ONLY be affected if the box is ticked.

In view of the above it is my firm conviction that when a box is ticked the corresponding item may be affected by running CCleaner,

and conversely if the box is not ticked the corresponding item will not be affected when CCleaner is run.

I am quite certain that there is no box that should be ticked to achieve zero effect when CCleaner is Run.

On that basis I have to assume that "Enable Windows Jump List Tasks" denotes a modification if Ticked, and no modification when NOT ticked,

Thany specifically asked

Does the word "Enable" mean to clean it, or to NOT clean it?

Personally I did not know exactly what the "Enable Windows Jump List Tasks" option meant,

but I attempted to assure Thany that her Start Panel could not be damaged if she unticked that option, regardless of its wording or intention.

Since Thany appeared to think that the wording of this option might affect whether a Tick could change or not change the consequence,

it seemed reasonable to advise in general terms that applied to every tick box item. I do not consider that aggressive or OTT.

If you have further criticisms of my style in 3508 postings I suggest you refrain from hijacking Thany's topic but P.M. me

I do not wish to be part of a controversy that causes a moderator to lock this topic or any other.

• 4 weeks later...

CCleaner - Under Windows Tab, Windows Explorer section, Taskbar Jump lists will clean out recently opened documents/files within the programs that have been used (e.g., right clicking taskbar programs or hover right arrow in Start menu program listings) but won't clean out the files that a user pinned. The Windows setting for this behavior is right click Start menu, Properties, Start menu tab, Privacy checkboxes to enable/disable. To have unpinned items retained when running CCleaner then uncheck the item: Taskbar Jump lists.

CCleaner - Under System, Start Menu Shortcuts Windows\ Advanced\ User Assist History. if the box is checked it is supposed to clear out any recently started unpinned program items on the Start menu while ignoring the user pinned. In other words, if you have recently opened programs on the Startmenu (because the properties for Windows Start menu, Start menu tab, Privacy are enabled) they are not static until they are right clicked then pinned.

If you want to clean items like these without CCleaner as a test, select Start menu, right click then Properties, Startmenu tab, uncheck both Privacy checkboxes then click apply, recheck both boxes and click apply or just Ok to re-enable new accumulation.

Hope this helps.

Re-edited for clarity.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit again:

Thany said: In Options->Advanced, the option "Enable Windows Jump List Tasks" is checked. I'm not sure what this option is for...

Answer: This is for CCleaner Tasks only. If it is enabled you'll have a built-in right arrow quick launch task list like Clean, Registry etc. that can be launched at runtime instead of opening the program and finding the task you want CC to run. I avoid enabling it because it's too easy to inadvertently launch when in a hurry. But it is a nice feature I wouldn't condemn, just need to be aware of what your settings are before launching from there.

Thany kroozer said: For me, the Start Menu list is cleared by ticking Windows\ Advanced\ User Assist History.

Answer: This likely will clear everything including pinned items. Best to read the help documents before running some things blindly as there are consequences for the unaware. Personally, if I know I'll be reimaging the system I'll try out more stuff beforehand and I'll make sure I have backups current.

My bad. Thany kroozer is correct on this one and helps says so specifically! Start Menu shortcuts sweep is for invalid items on the start menu only.

CCleaner v4.03.4151

Always updated Windows 7 64 Ultimate SP1-U / IE10 / MSE , i7-2960XM CPU, 1600MHz RAM 16GB/4, Samsung 840 Pro SSD's, nVidia Quadro 4000M GPU, RGBLED IPS LCD

Good news.

Thany kroozer said: For me, the Start Menu list is cleared by ticking Windows\ Advanced\ User Assist History.

My bad. Thany kroozer is correct on this one and help says so specifically! Start Menu shortcuts sweep is for invalid items on the start menu only.

If they are pinned - they're not touched using User Assist History running Windows 7.

CCleaner v4.03.4151

Always updated Windows 7 64 Ultimate SP1-U / IE10 / MSE , i7-2960XM CPU, 1600MHz RAM 16GB/4, Samsung 840 Pro SSD's, nVidia Quadro 4000M GPU, RGBLED IPS LCD