A degree in heavy metal

hazelnut

• Moderators

Being a longtime Metal musician I just hope that college doesn't turn out a tonnage of posers who have a degree but know nothing of the Metal life because it isn't merely some other genre for allot of us it's like our own religion.

• Moderators

At first I thought "What kind of an idiot would get a degree in the history of metal?" but then I watched the video and it explained that it was also going to teach how to play music, the business side of the music industry, ect. I still think it would be incredibly dumb to pay for a degree in this though. The amount of bands that "make it" are so small and most of the best ones usually start out as teenagers screwing around in their garage.

I did a google search for metal musicians with music degrees and nothing really came up. None of the ones I found had music degrees, they had degrees in other subjects.(biology, math, ect) As long as these guys are learning to be musicians though I guess its ok to offer this at a collegiate level. I have lots of friends who used music to pay for their degrees.(most got degrees in music but also technology, science, ect)

Who am I to judge though. I stupidly got my degree in history. :rolleyes: (though I do love my job)