Adobe Creative Suite moves to subscription only

hazelnut

• Moderators
Instead of revenue surging when upgrades such as CS6 arrive, the company gets a steady stream of money.

This is what it's all about isn't it.

A never ending stream of money. Damn, there's the cynic in me appearing again.

• Moderators

I actually think this is neat. It says you can pay $10 a month for individual programs. For kids, hobbyists, and students that's awesome if they just want to learn photoshop. Businesses probably won't care either way they make tons of money using these programs. Plus you get free updates which is huge because the old system had expensive upgrades.

Guest Keatah

Maybe we could have a lightweight version of Photoshop for single-user use. I thought Photoshop elements would fit, but it got bloated too.

I don't care how popular cloud distros and subscriptions might be. I dislike it all the way around.

• Moderators

Want Adobe Photoshop and nothing else? You'll also need to install Bridge, Download Manager, Help, Help Browser, Media Manager, Utilities, Widget Browser.....

Surprised they don't require a whole huge hard disk labelled "Adobe" to fit the bloat onto.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Looks like the file syncing part of Creative Cloud is broken already and has been suspended for a couple of weeks while they sort it out

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/17/adobe_creative_cloud_problem/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Guest Keatah

I got cs2 and couldn't be happier.

While this is a non-event, it is why I dislike cloud products. The cloud is alright as a delivery service, that's been proven the past 25 years. But as a way to allow people (the programmers at adobe) to play with your files on your computer everyday I don't like it. Never will..

ADDED:

I never was a proponent of all your information across all your devices. Seamlessly. Reminds me of those motorola products promoting a seamless world in the early 2000's. Whatever happened to that?

Sorry peeps. I can't stand cloud stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

As a college student, I dropped $400 (special student pricing) and got the following (CS6) Adobe products right before school:

(yes, some of these are the "Adobe freebies")

*After Effects

*Audition

Bridge

*Encore

ExtendScript

Extension Manager

*Flash Professional

*Illustrator

Media Encoder

*Photoshop

Prelude

*Premiere Pro

Speed Grade

(* = I actually use this program regularly for school and personal enjoyment/jobs)

-----

Now, if I was going off of their Creative Cloud subscription plan @ $20/mo (for students), I'd spend more than $400 in less than 2 years.

Since I nabbed Production Premium CS6 for $400 right before Creative Cloud appeared, I forever have *the above* and it'll never cost me more than the $400 I paid.

($400 would only get me a little less than 2 years with Creative Cloud- not a good deal for students who really can't afford additional monthly payments AND it would cost a college student more than double in the long run to use several Adobe products for their schooling across 4 years using Creative Cloud.)

I wish it was optional- but it looks like subscriptions are the payments methods of the future (which Microsoft is trying to figure out for Windows as well... hopefully that day is far away.)

• Moderators

If Windows ever went the route of paid subscriptions I can imagine and endless amount of computers would be sporting one of the Linux builds and never look back. They should study antivirus vendors who've always had that subscription based system and declining customers because of all the freeware alternative antivirus' that have a vast user base.