Feature Suggestion

redmaledeer

Feature suggestion (apologies if it's been suggested before):

Currently there is an option to only delete files in Windows Temp folders **provided** they are at least 48 hours old. I think an option like that, to only delete older files, would be useful for many other files too. Log files especially come to mind, where recent ones are possibly useful.

Thanks.

(Whoops. I meant to put this under Important Topics > Suggestions.)

That sounds like a good idea for a feature, and I've never seen it mentioned before (of course I've only been on this forum since December).

The only question is, how would it be structured?

Would every single app have an on/off button for whether or not to wait 48 hours? That would give you more control, but would be a bit cumbersome and maybe get in the way.

Or, you could have one option to turn the 48 hours on for everything, including apps and Temp files. The only problem with this is, what if you want your logs deleted instantly, but want Temp files to stay for a while? Or visa versa? Or what if you only want to keep your ZA logs for 48 hours, and ditch all the other logs?

But I can definitely see potential in that suggestion. It would be nice to see it, or something like it, implemented.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

lokoike - I'm glad you like the general idea. I agree that it needs thought along the lines you suggested.

Another possibility (in addition to the ones you suggested) is to offer the 48-hour-delay option by broad groups: Temp files, logs, Firefox/Mozilla ... etc. ...and Everything Else.

Ooo. I like that one! If you did that, you could put it under Options, and make it its own category. So instead of being under Advanced, there could be a new category called... something (can't think of any good words right now to fit the group).

All of the checkboxes could be grouped by category, just like you said, and the default would be to wait 48 hours. That way, people who don't want to mess with it could just avoid the option tab altogether, and the people who want to adjust it would have the apps and temp folder neatly organized in one area. Good thinking!

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!