buzzing sound coming from computer when its turned off

michaelsmith664

• Moderators

A few questions...

You say even when it's switched off, does this mean it even makes a noise when the plug is removed from the electric wall socket?

Does the noise come out of the system speakers?

When does the noise stop?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

When I take out the plug the buzzing stops and when I put it back in it begins once again. It doesn't come out of the system speakers. I hold my ear up against the computer and I hear a buzzing sound. The noise is sometimes louder some times and quieter other times. but it doesn't really stop

What is a computer ?

A complete specification of make and model could be useful.

(A link to a supplier/manufacturer product specification would be even nicer).

Is it something like a Laptop/Netbook with a rechargeable battery that will suck power whenever it is plugged into the mains ?

Is it new enough to consider replacing under warrantee?

Its an emachines EL1360 -UB10P. Its a normal desktop computer. The warrenty expired a couple of days ago

Of course it did... they build 'em to do that. ;)

If it were me, I would first disconnect the a/c power cord, open the case and disconnect all the PSU power connectors from all devices including the motherboard. Then reconnect the a/c power cord and listen for the noise. This would isolate it down to the PSU if it still makes the noise and would probably have to be replaced. If there is no noise, I would disconnect the a/c power cord again and reconnect the power connectors to the motherboard. Repeat the process with each device adding them back one at a time until you hear the noise.

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

• Moderators

I love @nikki605's suggestion

If it were me, I would first disconnect the a/c power cord, open the case and disconnect all the PSU power connectors from all devices including the motherboard. Then reconnect the a/c power cord and listen for the noise.

Also does it do this if you use the monitor's power cord in the computer?

how about on a different outlet?

if yes to both of these, bring it to Best Buy or Office Depot (and maybe Staples) as they will do a free check-up, tell them you thing the PSU is bad but you wanted to be sure (it'll make you look like you know enough for them not to BS you). the PSU is an easily replaced part but if you have a dork like us that you know, he'll probably come by and change it for you for like ten-twenty dollars including going with you to buy the new one so you do it right (also the places i mentioned above will do the same for you, for a fee)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

you misunderstand, the buzzing well could be a problem,if left unchecked it could lead to PSU failure, or even damage your hardware. If you run those easy checks you could find out for sure. On top of that without running these checks, there's no way to be sure that it is, indeed, the PSU.

EDIT: when was the last time you cleaned the inside of the computer, dust bunnies can cause buzzing (and damage hardware). Are there smokers (of any sort ;) ) in the house? As this can reallllllllllllly mess up computers (and be signified by a buzzing from the case while plugged in).

Edited by Nergal

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

You should also double check your warranty.

Although it may have actually expired, a lot a retailers will still honour it, if it has expired by a very short time.

I assume it came with a 1 year manufacture's warranty, did you get an extended warranty per chance?

I once heard from a guy in that area that there is some sort of non-advertised law? / requirement? that they still have to honour warranty's up to something like 3 weeks past expiry.

(that's for Oz at least)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

A buzzing sound could be a bad transformer or possibly capacitor in the PSU. The fan shouldn't be running until the PC is powered up & booting. It might also be a bad earth ground at the power outlet. Either way it could be a sign of a pending failure.

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

• 6 years later...

I have the same issue and it fried my dvd drive. And at times when i shut down my pc, all the hardware shuts down except the fans and motherboard and also the light around the power button is solid on; and after this the pc wont power on unless i disconnect the power supply from the wall and re plugin.....the pc automatically starts running without me pressing the power button to boot. Any help would be appreciated.

• Moderators

This Topic is seven years old.

Computers and their operating sytems have changed a lot since then.

Please start a new thread if you are having a problem.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043