Drive list dialog not working -> Can't recover

Xavi Arpa

Hi there,

I'm trying to recover non-deleted files from an apparently quick-formatted Win7 hard disk.

I'm able to deep-scan it and produce the file list, but when I try to recover the files to another disk,

I can't because the drive list dialog doesn't show drives, so I can't select the target drive,

and can't recover.

post-65914-0-46226000-1364464709_thumb.jpg

However, the drive list is perfectly available at the left of the "Scan" button.

Any suggestions?

I'm booting from a WIn7 recovery CD.

Running Recuva v1.45.858 (64-bit) portable from USB. Running it from CD produces same result.

The dialog fails in the same way in the Recuva Wizard / "File location" / Browse button. However that isn't a problem because I can put the path manually.

Is this Win7 Rescue CD able to run Windows Disk Management and take a screen shot that you can post,

displaying both the partition you can scan for lost files and the drive that you wish to select as target for recovery ?

Only a very small minority of portable applications function normally under a Win7 Rescue CD environment.

I am accustomed to Macrium Reflect version WinPE which is a small 160 MB ISO burnt on a 700 MB CD.

There are many other flavours of Rescue CD but I doubt that they have any significantly greater capability.

You may need to hook your dead drive up to a fully functional computer.

Is this Win7 Rescue CD able to run Windows Disk Management and take a screen shot that you can post,

displaying both the partition you can scan for lost files and the drive that you wish to select as target for recovery ?

No, I can't find diskmgmt.msc anywhere in the CD.

Only a very small minority of portable applications function normally under a Win7 Rescue CD environment.

I am accustomed to Macrium Reflect version WinPE which is a small 160 MB ISO burnt on a 700 MB CD.

There are many other flavours of Rescue CD but I doubt that they have any significantly greater capability.

You may need to hook your dead drive up to a fully functional computer.

Ah well, I guess somehow I assumed that Recuva would work in that environment.

I'll be trying another method then.

Thanks for the reply.

• Moderators

Hi Xavi Arpa, and welcome to Piriform.

You could try another rescue CD which is pretty good at getting files from a non booting drive ...

Paragon Rescue Kit 11 Free Edition: (Softpedia download)

As it says, it's free and is only a 50mb download

It's a simple ISO you burn to disk, and has a few other features worth having in the tool box besides the File Retrieval and Transfer.

This is the home site for info ...

http://www.paragon-s...ome/rk-express/

... but don't try to download from there as you have to befriend them on Facebook first. I appreciate free software, but jumping through that hoop is never gonna happen for me.

Also, assuming that you give this a try, use something like "7-Zip" (Free Open Source) to extract the files from the downloaded "Unpack and Burn Wizard" file to a folder, where you can get straight to the ISO.

7-Zip (Portable Version):

If you run the wizard, it will ask you to obtain a registration number from Paragon to complete the process. Still free, but a bit of a pain. (IMHO of course)

I burned it to CD this afternoon and took a few pics of what you can expect to see ...

Not having a non booting OS to try, I don't know as to whether this would actually boot your computer (doubtful, but you never know), so you may want to ignore this one and go straight to "Normal Mode". Up to you of course ..

post-8751-0-57888100-1364506770_thumb.jpg

If it picks up the drive, just double click to navigate to the files/folders you want to recover ...

post-8751-0-77545600-1364506863_thumb.jpg

And these are the following "Wizard" screens ...

post-8751-0-55642300-1364507005_thumb.jpg

post-8751-0-01230800-1364507033_thumb.jpg

post-8751-0-89351600-1364507057_thumb.jpg

If you try it, good luck. If not, then no worries.

:)