Is Local Settings/Temp cleaned?

Newt

Hi,

I just wondered if CCleaner should clean this folder on XP?

C:\Documents and Settings\<Name>\Local Settings\Temp

I assumed CCleaner removed temporary files (if selected), but I looked in the above location and still saw some old files there (Java installers etc.).

Thanks.

Make sure you have unchecked the box in options to "only clean temporary files older than 24 hours"

The files in the folder are several months old (according to created and modified date stamps), so this option should not have any effect.

Is there any other reason why CCleaner doesn't delete files in this path?

The files in the folder are several months old (according to created and modified date stamps)

Totally irrelevant.

You should be looking at the ACCESSED date stamp.

(and even looking at a file with Windows Explorer counts as an ACCESS).

• Moderators

If you've did what Winapp2.ini has stated about that 24 hour box (which has caught many people out before), and the files still aren't being removed your CCleaner settings "may be messed up or corrupt."

To restore the default settings:

1. Open CCleaner.

2. Go into: Options -> Advanced

3. Click the button: Restore default settings

4. Close CCleaner, and then open CCleaner to give it a try. Remember you'll have to re-configure CCleaner to your preferences such as ticking and unticking what apps to clean or not clean.

Totally irrelevant.

You should be looking at the ACCESSED date stamp.

(and even looking at a file with Windows Explorer counts as an ACCESS).

Not really sure about the Accessed date stamp. The option says "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 24 hours". If we are talking about file age, then the Created date would sound more feasible than the Accessed date. :unsure:

Not really sure about the Accessed date stamp. The option says "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 24 hours". If we are talking about file age, then the Created date would sound more feasible than the Accessed date. :unsure:

More feasible but far more wrong.

Just because because a file was created a year ago when you installed an application does not mean the application will continue to run if you now delete the file.

If an application DECIDES to CREATE a file that does not prove that it will notice if the file is deleted,

but if it decides to READ the file it will notice and may malfunction after removal.

More feasible but far more wrong.

Just because because a file was created a year ago when you installed an application does not mean the application will continue to run if you now delete the file.

If an application DECIDES to CREATE a file that does not prove that it will notice if the file is deleted,

but if it decides to READ the file it will notice and may malfunction after removal.

Thanks for the update Alan. I will bear this is mind when using CCleaner. If this option relies on the Accessed date stamp though, perhaps the option would be better renamed to "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder not accessed within 24 hours", or similar.

• Moderators

I personally have never used that 24 hour don't delete setting, and haven't once had a problem not using it. Albeit I do keep in mind to not run CCleaner immediately after installing software, I manually reboot/restart Windows first which is an old Win98 habit I can't shake.

How about with manually insert

in include?

include drive or folder: "C:\Documents and Settings\<Name>\Local Settings\Temp"

file types: all files

options: include files and subfolders"

zing-already away with the trash :-)

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

by me ccleaner has also after installations the subfolder also not deleted, but only files in temp.

the subfolders were left together with installation files in temp

i have manually added in my ccleaner :-)

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"