Defraggle Improper SSD handling

KHRockyME

This Post is in addition to a support email I have sent.

First I'd like to thank Piriform for providing such useful software, it is developers like Piriform that make the IT world that much better!

Second, to the issue. I'm writing in concern of Defraggler not correctly identifying Solid State Drives (SSD) and consequently allowing defragmentation of an SSD. Those that are familiar with how SSD function know that it is improper to defragment an SSD for many reasons; two of which quickly come to mind. First that an SSD utilizes "wear leveling"; a byproduct of this being that sectors are reported differently than a platter hard disk, causing analysis to indicate false fragmentation. A second and very important reason being that defragmentation adds substantial unnecessary wear to the flash cells, which have a limited read-write lifetime. Therefore I strongly appeal the Defraggler team to correct this issue as I believe there are many users who defragment all of their drives, unaware of the damaging effects it has on their SSD.

I am earnestly awaiting a response,

Thank you

Kyle H

RMExhibits

I find that 64 bit DF v 2.11 knew the difference upon launch - AND DISPLAYED "SSD Detected" under the Status column

Sadly that information is destroyed when it is replaced by "Analysis Complete" after clicking the Analyze button.

Regretably 64 bit DF v 2.13 does NOT display "SSD Detected" either before or after clicking the Analyze button.

Although DF does not display which are SSD,

it correctly removes them from the list of partitions available to Defrag when I use :-

Settings => Options => General, and UN-tick the option "Show SSD Drives".

N.B. I tested above with default settings on Portable versions of DF.

I suggest the Default Settings show be altered thus

Settings => Options => General :- UN-tick the option "Show SSD Drives".

Settings => Options => Advanced :- TICK the option "Stop VSS when defragmenting NTFS Volume"

• 4 years later...

I'm writing in concern of Defraggler not correctly identifying Solid State Drives (SSD) and consequently allowing defragmentation of an SSD...

I have the same problem with the latest DF Pro 2.21.993 (64 bit) on WIN10 (64 bit).

The boot disk is a Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD but it's listed as a NTFS HDD. Therefore I can't optimize it yet I would be able to defrag it.

The same problem in a tablet that runs DF free on WIN10 (32 bit).

• Moderators

the Dev Team are aware of this mis-reporting issue of DF and from the last update on this topic (a few months ago now) there are plans afoot.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2017 at 5:13 PM, mta said:

the Dev Team are aware of this mis-reporting issue of DF and from the last update on this topic (a few months ago now) there are plans afoot.

They have been aware of this for a ridiculously long time and as yet have done nothing. Time and time again Users bring this up and SFA is the answer.

Time someone in charge of this company started looking around for replacements for members of the so-called "Dev Team" or should that be "No Dev Team" ?

Doesn't inspire great confidence in a product when it can't even properly identify the type of drive it is about to perform some serious defragmentation on !

• Moderators

nope. not yet at least (if the feature ever gets implemented)

• Moderators

Official word from the Admin Team is "Many changes have been made for the SSD detection recently and they will continue to improve the accuracy of disk detection in future releases."

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like the Defraggler Admin Team are the only utility writers who don't know how to identify a SSD drive versus a HDD or appreciate that it should be on top of their priority list and before "buy donuts for morning tea". No other utility makers seem to have this problem.

I await the update. It has only been four and a half years so far !

• Moderators
This seems like a prime example of Moravec’s paradox. We know that the drive is an SSD but the machine has a devil of a time trying to find out.

I don’t know how Defraggler determines the drive type, but going on Piriform’s track record it will use a legit Windows function. In other words, it asks Windows instead of trying to do it itself. As far as I can find out this is done by running some benchmark, such as random read timings. (on the other hand I think that Speccy reads the disk model number for info.) You can see what Windows thinks your drive is by running msinfo32, and reset it if required with winsat.diskformal (all at your own risk).

This might be all irrelevant of course, or simply incorrect, but it’s something to look at whilst waiting for Piriform.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
9 hours ago, DannyBrock said:

Thanks to everyone who replied! I got what I wanted!

huh?
you never asked a question!

(smelling very spammy Danny)

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

it has been, and they have mentioned a manual 'switch', but we are still waiting.

• 1 month later...

I was looking at the individual products in preparation of possibly buying the set. Ccleaner, Defraggler, Recuva and Speccy.

The Microsoft's defragmentation tool can see the difference of an HDD and a SSD and does not try to do a conventional defragmentation to an SSD. Why can't Piriform's Defraggler be as well built? With them not fixing this issue and allowing one of their products to actually do harm to my hardware by prematurely wearing out my SSD drives, I don't think I will be buying any of their products.

- Defraggler hasn't been updated for a long time. I am wondering whether there will be a new version of the program any time soon. But the program still contains some other bugs as well.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!