MusicMatch V Winamp

mps69_1999

Well, I tried out Foobar 0.8.3, and while it isn't by any means a poor audio player, I'm not sure it is what I am looking for. As much as I hate to say it, I still like WMP better than it. I have really gotten used to using my WMP toolbar so that I can switch tracks or adjust the in-player volume without having to restore it to the screen first. As far as I can tell, Foobar doesn't offer that.

I also thought the visualization window was tacky and of course the default appearance of WMP is far more refined than Foobar. These aren't major complaints, but they do count for something. Also, when using Foobar, I checked it under Task Manager, and it was using around 20 MB of pagefile, whereas WMP only used around 7. I know that rridgely said Foobar uses far less than that, but I wasn't playing a movie; I was simply listening to audio from my library.

I won't delete Foobar, as I still want to test it out some more, but as of now, I find that WMP is just a better player when it comes to the look, feel, and ease of use. And you don't know how much I hate to say that!

On a more pleasant note, I just realized that Tarun was listening to Ten Thousand Fists, Disturbed's newest album. Very sweet.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

• Moderators

Well, I tried out Foobar 0.8.3, and while it isn't by any means a poor audio player, I'm not sure it is what I am looking for. As much as I hate to say it, I still like WMP better than it. I have really gotten used to using my WMP toolbar so that I can switch tracks or adjust the in-player volume without having to restore it to the screen first. As far as I can tell, Foobar doesn't offer that.

It can be sized down to this: za-fb2k-small-22jan06.png

or you can just use it via the systray which has playback controls using the Default User Interface and with Columns UI.

I also thought the visualization window was tacky and of course the default appearance of WMP is far more refined than Foobar. These aren't major complaints, but they do count for something. Also, when using Foobar, I checked it under Task Manager, and it was using around 20 MB of pagefile, whereas WMP only used around 7. I know that rridgely said Foobar uses far less than that, but I wasn't playing a movie; I was simply listening to audio from my library.

The visualization window isn't appealing at all so I'd have to agree. However it can be completely disabled, and removed from the GUI via right clicking the menu area. FB2K wasn't conceived to be another WMP or Winamp, hence the reason it loads so fast and has a wide playlist area that makes it easy to see the artist, title and album without necessarily having to click upon the file properties. To each their own though, because I used Winamp for years and there wasn't any way to convince me that anything was "better" up until Winamp started having skipping problems in practically every audio file I played - hence my exodus to FB2K.

As far as player mem usage goes it does matter what type of audio format you're playing, e.g.; when playing Ogg Vorbis (.ogg) I've seen the mem usage go up 1MB or so however I'm used to seeing about 7MB usage while it's loaded and not playing a track, however that spikes to around 8.5MB when playing a track.

Thanks for that info, Andavari. I'm still testing it out, so who knows, maybe it will grow on me. I haven't hardly touched the options, so there could be a plethora of usefull little tidbits I never knew about.

And thank you for the links to those other media players, Eldmannen. I'll probably check those out as well.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

• Moderators

I haven't hardly touched the options, so there could be a plethora of usefull little tidbits I never knew about.

Most of the options are already pre-configured during setup with good settings. I would however highly recommend that you download Columns UI and a few pre-configured format strings from the Columns UI website since it will take the bland default user interface to something very appealing and more useful. If you spend about one or two hours here and there playing around in Columns UI you should be able to configure the GUI to your own preferred look and ease-of-use. Mine is dead plain but that's how I like it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Winamp for me...

i tried MusicMatch JB before which came bundle with my Zip Drive... but remove it shortly...

Winamp for audio... and WMP for audio CD, movie clips and anything else...

my Winamp operates in the system tray and use about 3000K of resources...

--==aGumon==--

• 2 years later...

k, newbie here rehashing an OLD thread. sorry. read, learned & made own pro/con opinions of each sw. have ???'s to add. easier to state what I want to do.

Want to export all info from database to build my own db to include links to archive files (cd image file, jewel case insert scans, other arcane info). Most sw I've used just exports playlist or basic data. Can anyone recommend sw that can export ALL data or advise me the capability of some you've used?

Anyone know of a player/ripper/library that can generate video as well? the idea is to imitate VH1 pop-up video where various info about artist,song,etc can be displayed during playback.