Avast! has gone metro

login123

Just updated Avast to ver 8.0.1482 thru the application.

The user interface is now metro'ish.

YYyaahh. . . Is there no safe harbor from the creeping metro plague? :lol:

th_avast8_upd2_metro_zpsd9b9c776.jpg

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

yep, give it some time and we'll be seeing more and more software houses bring out metro skins.

CC v4 next ???

not that I don't like it, it's new and different after all, a change is a good as a holiday and all that. it's nice eye candy.

i just fail to see WHY they think they need to change it in the first place and when they do, they follow the herd instead of pioneering something new (like metro did).

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

It looks alright. At least it doesn't look retarded like the OS that inspired it, and unlike the anti-luminosity crafters at AVG Antivirus with their overly dark colour you can actually see stuff.

Me too, Shane. There, I said it out loud. :lol:

edit:

Also, fwiw, the updater tries to install google.

Should have said that in the first post, just figured everybody would catch it anyway.

Just tried the "Software Updater" and let it update the flash player

Don't usually trust such features, but that went OK.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

• 2 weeks later...
These new versions of AVG and AVAST seem quite good to me. The interfaces aren't bad either considering how many people hate Win8's Metro Interface.

They don't look so bad, nor does ie 8's tiles imho. With ie 8, its the functionality I have issues with.

eL_PuSHeR, if I may ask, have you compared Avast! and AVG for resource usage?

I have run Avast for so long I have forgotten any others.

I may have to switch to use IE 10 + Sandboxie.

There is some sort of bug that interferes with IE 9 64 bit or IE 10 if you run Avast! + Sandboxie.

Believed to be an Avast issue.

Some information, and a link to the Sandboxie forums:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=342681

Yes, could be, but it doesn't affect ie9 32 bit + Avast + SBIE on win 7 64 bit.

Could be because I keep the Avast sandbox turned off.

Everybody at Wilders and Sandboxie identified it as an Avast issue, so I'll just run ie 9 for a while.

For testing purposes it seems both AVG and AVAST take up more or less the same amount of RAM and it seems lesser than the one taken up by MSE. The new AVAST seems packed with nice options as of late too (sandbox, common software updater, browsers toolbars cleaner). One thing I really dislike about AVAST is the need for registration (it's more a nuisance than anything to me) and too much "get the commercial version" ads everyone (even within the installation process). AVG seems to perform well too but I think it lacks some of the latest AVAST features.

As far as interfaces are concerned, I still prefer MSE. Some would say its inteface to be very "spartan" but very tidy and uncluttered.

For me I like MSE on Vista/7/8 but for WinXP I prefer AVAST or AVG. I don't know why but Microsoft hasn't been able to deliver a satisfying experience for MSE running under XP.

OK, thank you. Will Stay with Avast unless if becomes impossibe.

• Moderators

you'd think if anything was a prime candidate for tiles it would be MSE.

just think, some distant time down the track, when we start moving away from tiles, how the software houses will market it as simple, fresh and intuitive. :wacko:

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.