VPN What is it ?

EGHHPETER767

Is this the same as a Proxy ?

I'm English, but have to live on Crete, Greece as my wife's asthma much better here !!!!!

Problem is though : I need to be able to download programmes from BBC iPlayer and it blocks me (ISP ?)

What can I do to Sort this problem please ?

• Moderators

Virtual private network. It allows you to connect to "home" network and thus access non-public facing services/devices. Also uses home network's gateway (if setup to do so).

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/proxy-vs-vpn-services.aspx (translate to Greek on the right hand dropdown)

BBC iPlayer is probably just blocking you by the IP Address of the country you're in.

for which a proxy would be better.

also good link

http://getfoxyproxy.org/vpn/proxy-vs-vpn.html

Edited by Nergal

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

From the BBC's website:

Rights agreements mean that BBC iPlayer television programmes are only available to users to download or stream (Click to Play) in the UK. However, we are aware of demand for an international version. BBC Worldwide has recently launched the BBC iPlayer App for iPad and iPhone in various countries. Visit the BBC iPlayer (Global) YouTube channel for further information.

Most radio programmes are available outside the UK in addition to podcasts, although sporting and other programmes may be subject to rights agreements.

In addition, highlights from many of BBC News' programmes are available for viewers outside the UK, as is BBC Sport video content.

We can't help you to circumvent licensing agreements. There are international BBC television satellite services but I'm sure you can research that yourself.

This is so silly, we are in the EU and before we left the UK, I spoke with someone at thee BBC to discuss moving abroad and informed them the 2 things we would miss most in the UK is, family and the BBC. They informed me I could't buy a licence for abroad.

We have a motorized sattelite, but no BBC 1 etc.

We have been using "Get iPlayer Automator" but every things gone up the creek: possibly proxy problem ? (we have Apple products + M/S laptop)

And we can look at "Film on.com" but progs to late to view, due 2 hours time difference.

And the BBC have been saying they will change it so we can use the service for years !!!! And what's so annoying I have offered to pay for a licence etc., but they informed me it's a licencing agreement problem !!!! BUT WE ARE ALL IN the EU.!!!

• Moderators

One of the biggest things the BBC is missing out on internationally is more absolutely free promotion of their estimated $1 billion bread winner Top Gear series, which I'm sure would generate even more money if they'd relax the iPlayer. But yeah, they've been saying for years yet in the real world nothing has happened.

I'm glad I get BBC America here in the U.S.