I am not sure if Recuva finished running

mousey

Hello, I have started running Recuva twice on an external hard drive I accidentally wiped with DBAN (It was in a USB port and I forgot to unplug it, and DBAN only ran for about 15 seconds before I realized my mistake.)

I left Recuva to run, but both times nothing has happened. I cannot find a log or anything, and no window popped up to say "Scanning done, here's what we found" or something. I thought it was because the first time the computer fell asleep in the middle of Part 1, so I set my computer not to sleep at all, but when I got back today there was still no sign that Recova had done anything. I must be doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

• Moderators

Don't know why it isn't showing anything, although it's very highly unlikely it will find anything that DBAN already wiped.

As for getting it to show files on a previously formatted disk go into 'Options' and tick the box 'Scan for non-deleted files (for recovery from damaged or reformatted disks).' Might as well also tick 'Restore folder structure'.

• Moderators

are you pressing scan? Does a scanning window come up?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

are you pressing scan? Does a scanning window come up?

Thanks very much for your reply,

Yes, It starts the first part of the scan, and then i went away for 24 hours for it to finish, and when I got back there was nothing. It was about 56 % into the 1st "part" when I left.

andavari, thank you also, yes I checked all the boxes.

• Moderators

I can't give you any more than the other guys have regarding Recuva, but I'm wondering if it would be worth scanning for a lost partition?

I wouldn't know what DBAN has managed to overwrite, but it may possibly have overwritten all the bootsector info, partition table etc.

If the majority of that external drive is still intact, and it sounds like it is, it has to be worth having a try at recovering the partition.

You can do this with ...

Free Partition Software - MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition 7.7:

Partition Recovery: (MiniTool description)

This may come to nothing, but with a good free application there's nothing to lose.

Hope that helps.

• Moderators

how big is the drive? scans can take a long time I've had a 200gb take 8-15+ hours to deepscan/non-deleted scans

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

thank you all very much. Nergal, the drive is 931 gb but, despite the size, the box that said "Scan 1 of 3: Scanning for items" simply disappeared. Either way, it has been almost 48 hours since the last scan started, if it is running at all.

I will try the partition program.

thanks again!!!