Microsoft getting desperate, mulls Office on Linux

Guest Keatah

A thread over at -- http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=2186876#post2186876 -- talks about Microsoft Office on Linux.

I guess with the slow sales of 8, Office on Linux would be another source of revenue. Not only that, they want to crush out the AOO and LO, because these are doing quite well on Linux.

Do they think we're gonna pay for Office when we already have LibreOffice?

• Moderators

Some people would actually pay, for instance if I were on Linux (and I'm not yet) I would want a version of Microsoft Publisher.

agreed, I certainly would.

On my Ubuntu rig, OO and LO have no where near a good enough Excel equivalent, to the point I cannot see me ever being able to do without a Windows rig.

If I can get MS Excel for Linux, count me in!. (as long as the buggers don't hobble the Excel function set in the port over)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

Linux desktop usage is still very small...

it certainly is but i'm hoping if the software support was there, eg: office as good as the Windows version, then more people would convert.

myself, as an example, started using it in the (vain) hope of weening off MS, only to find OO spreadsheet was crap so that has largely kept me away and the rig is used for little more than recovering Windows hard drive data.

"build it and they will come" but only if it's as good or better than what they have now.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

"build it and they will come" but only if it's as good or better than what they have now.

That was my initial reason alongside game playing for buying a Sony PlayStation 3 years ago with the promise Linux could be easily installed on it, then to find out the PS3 didn't have nowhere near enough RAM to even bother with it, and then finally Sony completely killing the ability to install Linux after a particular PS3 OS update was applied.

I do know Microsoft Excel-64 bit has huge capabilities. 1 file can hold all the plans and bill of materials for a battleship. Libre Office is fart in storm compared to this.

• Moderators

I think you're all silly ;)

if Microsoft does this it'll be a port,or at least due to the coding of, the version made for tablets (android, iOS etc).

this in no way spells doom, just as porting it to MacOS didn't mean they'd given up on their own OS

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

this in no way spells doom, just as porting it to MacOS didn't mean they'd given up on their own OS

Definitely no doom for them yet they're just too big, unless of course they keep releasing an OS or two per decade that have people crying foul like Windows 8, Vista, Me.

• Moderators

I think the real savior for linux could be gaming. I'm definitely interested to see what valve does with their upcoming steam box. I have recently began using a PC I built to play games on my tv. I use steam's "big picture mode" and an xbox controller to play the games. I would love if I could build a new gaming pc without paying for windows if all I want to use is steam.

I've tried using linux a lot recently(mint, ubuntu, fedora, ect) and I just don't like it. If Microsoft doesn't release a regular OS next time I will buy a mac mini or build a hackentosh. I despise windows 8 and linux is just not good enough.

• 1 month later...