Tiny, Easy, Powerful program to control startup apps

zaphirer

Hey everyone... check out this app... It allows you to easily modify the registry, so you can determine which programs are activated at startup. It has a simple interface, is super-tiny (59KB), and installs in seconds.

There are two versions, one which creates a Control Panel Icon, and another that is a standalone application (that one is about half the size). I've had an awesome experience with it, it works perfectly, definitely cutting down on the time needed to boot up my PC (ever since I built it, the boot times have been getting slower... and slower... and slower...).

The only problems I've had is sometimes, it looks like the "Disable" function doesn't seem to work, but you can remedy that by simply deleting it. There is also a tab called "trash" from which you can restore any important programs (IE, AV scanners, internet connection progs, etc.) Also, the tabs are a little weird for my liking (it looks like they keep swapping places :lol: , but in general, it's one of my new favorite programs =P

startupcpl0wf.th.png

btw, it's good to be back B)

Yeah, I found that in the freeware thread yesterday and downloaded the stand-alone exe version. It is setup well. I haven't used it extensively, so I haven't run into the same bug as you did yet, but I would definitely suggest others give it a try.

Only reservation is I'm not sure if he is still updating it. The last time it was updated was 03, so it looks like what you see is what you get.

StartupCPL.png

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone... check out this app... It allows you to easily modify the registry, so you can determine which programs are activated at startup. It has a simple interface, is super-tiny (59KB), and installs in seconds.

There are two versions, one which creates a Control Panel Icon, and another that is a standalone application (that one is about half the size). I've had an awesome experience with it, it works perfectly, definitely cutting down on the time needed to boot up my PC (ever since I built it, the boot times have been getting slower... and slower... and slower...).

The only problems I've had is sometimes, it looks like the "Disable" function doesn't seem to work, but you can remedy that by simply deleting it. There is also a tab called "trash" from which you can restore any important programs (IE, AV scanners, internet connection progs, etc.) Also, the tabs are a little weird for my liking (it looks like they keep swapping places :lol: , but in general, it's one of my new favorite programs =P

startupcpl0wf.th.png

btw, it's good to be back B)

Isn't it just as easy to to Run > Msconfig > click startup tab, and uncheck the items that you don't want to startup every time that you boot?

B)

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Isn't it just as easy to to Run > Msconfig > click startup tab, and uncheck the items that you don't want to startup every time that you boot?

B)

K

Yes and no. MSCONFIG lets you enable/disable startup processes, but you can't actually remove them, create new ones, or edit the current ones. Also, MSCONFIG does nothing to organize its processes, so if you have 30 of them, you'll have to weed through them and try to figure out what they are by yourself. Sometimes this is easy, but for some, it isn't.

Not only does Startup Control Panel organize the processes into useful groups, but it also puts icons next to them to represent what they are.

ding, ding!

there's a program called Autoruns available at http://www.sysinternals.com which practically looks like an updated version of this program(i dont think it is but it looks about the same). it also lets you do other stuff besides changing startup such as Explorer DLLs, services, etc...

Yeah, I've got that one too; the appearance is a bit nicer, but basically the same app.

ding, ding!

I use Startup Control Panel too. It's so quick and easy to use, although SysInternals Autoruns and A-squared HijackFree are great if you're looking for something a little (or a lot) more sophisticated.

To Zaphirer regarding the tabs swapping places, I use South Bay PC AutoSizer to make the app stay wide enough onscreen that there is only one row of tabs. I make it 650x425 pixels. Then they stay put.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Startup Control Panel too. It's so quick and easy to use, although SysInternals Autoruns and A-squared HijackFree are great if you're looking for something a little (or a lot) more sophisticated.

To Zaphirer regarding the tabs swapping places, I use South Bay PC AutoSizer to make the app stay wide enough onscreen that there is only one row of tabs. I make it 650x425 pixels. Then they stay put.

Why do you have to make it so complicated? Who cares if it is a common or who knows what startup.

1) Anything that starts is a startup item

2) It isn't that hard to scrap the other tools & use C-Cleaner. How hard is it do get rid of start items? It's not the end of the world, after all.

i got myself CodeStuff Starter too...

and also MSConfig appears only in WinXP... maybe WinVista but not Win2000

i got myself CodeStuff Starter too...

--==aGumon==--

?

MSCONFIG has been around since Win98. In fact, that and software compatibility are the main reasons I use Win98 as opposed to Win95 on older computers.

ding, ding!

nope... MSconfig is not in Win2000... u can shoot me if i am wrong...

I wouldn't do that! You are a very nice dinosaur. :)

But I am almost positive it is there... I'll have to look into that now; you have sparked my interest.

Win98 has it for sure, so I can't conceive why MS would leave it out in Win2k, and then put it back in in WinXP. Of course, I can't conceive why MS does a lot of things... :lol:

ding, ding!

:lol: for any good reason you have... you better tell me why u called me a dino...? if not i will shoot you... :lol:

You and your firearms!

Isn't that what that orange guy is? He is some sort of dino pokemon, right? I don't really know, kind of a pokemon n00b...

ding, ding!

You and your firearms!

Isn't that what that orange guy is? He is some sort of dino pokemon, right? I don't really know, kind of a pokemon n00b...

I don't know, it sounds like you know what you're talking about.

Do you secretly love pokemon's. Don't hold back, you can tell us. :lol:

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

I don't know, it sounds like you know what you're talking about.

Do you secretly love pokemon's. Don't hold back, you can tell us. :lol:

Darn, she figured me out! I'm a closet pokemonest!

ding, ding!

but seriously... i dont know what u are talking about... :unsure:

Your avatar! It is a dinosaur! I think... :blink:

ding, ding!

but seriously... i dont know what u are talking about... :unsure:

Sure you don't. It's okay, we'll keep your secret. You too ok ok lie!

- Our Forum Closet Pokemon's - :lol:

Sure you don't. It's okay, we'll keep your secret. You too ok ok lie!

- Our Forum Closet Pokemon's - :lol:

You keep picking on me, and you're gonna give me a complex. Then you'll feel really bad!

ding, ding!