Looking For HDD Backup/Imaging Software Recommendation

nikki605

• Moderators

With the free version, you don't need to boot with the rescue CD to verify the newly created Image.

Once the back up is complete, select "Restore" (although you're not going to), and after browsing to the Image, just click the "Verify" button. And that's all it does "Verify". Takes a few seconds only to set up and set away.

post-8751-0-69379500-1360195753_thumb.jpg

Once verified, job done. Close Macrium.

EDIT: They're old Images by the way, for anyone who clocks the dates. I've just gotten this spare drive back from my daughter, who borrows things for ever. :)

If you create an image by using the rescue disk, you can have it automatically verify after creation. This is with the free version. But as just pointed out, you can manually verify the image yourself.

Are you talking about verifying the backup image? Or verifying the iso-rescue-disc?

Verify backup image: Please see the attached PDF, hope it helps

Booting from your rescue disk will let you know that you WILL be able to access the image and perform the restore process

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

If I want to backup just certain files & folders (probably from a few partitions), not the whole partition/drive (I don't mind reinstalling Windows), should I use backup software like Macrium which creates images or just "sync" software (like FreeFileSync) which backups as files/folders?

Macrium also has the ability to backup files and folders.

If you only wish to backup files and folders I strongly recommend BestSync.

http://www.risefly.com/

http://www.risefly.com/bscomp.htm

I use the Free Portable 64 bit version at the middle of the page

http://www.risefly.com/fsedwld.htm

This can see all the differences between my complete partition C:\ and a mounted partition image backup ;

every file in every hidden system folder.

It also uses VSS should you wish to copy files that are in use.

what kinda files and how many/big ?

Not sure yet. Probably many small files. Mostly docs & pics, but also Thunderbird profile/emails, Firefox profile, some (portable) tools etc password/profile files.

Macrium also has the ability to backup files and folders.

If you only wish to backup files and folders I strongly recommend BestSync.

http://www.risefly.com/

http://www.risefly.com/bscomp.htm

I use the Free Portable 64 bit version at the middle of the page

http://www.risefly.com/fsedwld.htm

This can see all the differences between my complete partition C:\ and a mounted partition image backup ;

every file in every hidden system folder.

It also uses VSS should you wish to copy files that are in use.

I'll check it out. I've been using FreeFileSync (portable version) to backup/sync manually my USB-stick (contains many tools etc).

Gonna try installed version FFS. It says in features that it has:

• Automate sync as a batch job

Yep. A sync program is the way to go here. I use FFS for spot jobs and maintenance - a few select directories.

My main mirroring program is DirSync from softology.com .. It requires that you make a text file with the to/from destinations listed. But it's lightweight and simple and fast. I don't recommend it unless you're more technical. And then there's r-sync for uber geeks.

• Moderators

I always run ChkDsk /f before making a backup image.

Verify backup image: Please see the attached PDF, hope it helps

That's the exact verify backup image process that I use everytime. I also have Macrium verify the image during restore from the Rescue CD, better safe than sorry.

With the free version, you don't need to boot with the rescue CD to verify the newly created Image.

Once the back up is complete, select "Restore" (although you're not going to), and after browsing to the Image, just click the "Verify" button. And that's all it does "Verify". Takes a few seconds only to set up and set away.

post-8751-0-69379500-1360195753_thumb.jpg

Once verified, job done. Close Macrium.

EDIT: They're old Images by the way, for anyone who clocks the dates. I've just gotten this spare drive back from my daughter, who borrows things for ever. :)

BINGO! I didn't think to look at the Restore tab since I wasn't looking to do a restore. But I'm glad to see that there is a Verify capability while still booted into WinXP so that I don't have to boot the Rescue CD every time I perform a new image. Thanks Dennis!

I also followed Alan's advice back on the 1st page and last night I created a small "test" partition on the C:\ drive. I copied a bunch of folders/files into it, made an image & verified it. I deleted everything from the "test" partition, booted the Rescue CD and restored the image. After booting back into WinXP, all the folders/files appeared to restore correctly.

I'm going to buy the Standard version for the additional features.

Thanks for the great recommendation! :)

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

• Moderators

As we've very appropriately added file and folder back up to nikki's topic, which I'm sure he won't object to, I've been using "Karens Replicator" for a long time. Since hazel introduced me to it in fact.

Replicator:

Very friendly and very slick.

Don't forget of course that if you're data files and folders are on the system drive, they'll be already be backed up in any Image created.

Easily accessed and extracted by mounting your Macrium Image as a drive either from within the program, or via the right click menu. You can't beat having two back ups.