Remove Cookies as a Seperate Option.

Hello.

The Cookies View window very nicely shows us all cookies Ccleaner finds in our machine. Why isn't there an option of removing them? Instantly?

Why, you may ask?

Well, most people know that many users out there are privacy-paranoids (including me).

I use myself tons of privacy add ons in Firefox (Ghostery, BetterPrivacy and ABP are an example), I delete cookies on exit (obviously) and use some other privacy tools as well. Still Ccleaner finds many application, flash, or normal cookies that managed to root in my PC. And I get frustrated that I can't delete them, there, immediately. Rather I have to run the Cleaner to remove application items, just to remove the cookies.

I'm sure that a Delete Cookies feature would satisfy many users.

Am I missing anything? If so, inform me.

• Moderators

cookies are deleted through ccleaner routine cleaning process. The "cookies window" is the place where you tell ccleaner which you wish to keep (by moving them to the right panel)

While I see where you are coming from, I find that kind of redundancy unneeded. However the devs read all threads and often implement popular viable suggestions

Edited by Nergal

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Thanks a lot for replying to my topic.

cookies are deleted through ccleaner routine cleaning process.

Yup, I got that right.

The "cookies window" is the place where you tell ccleaner which you wish to keep

Yup, I knew this one too.

In my post it can be seen that I have good knowledge about the current purpose of the "cookies window"'s existance. And how these cookies are handled.

I find that kind of redundancy unneeded.

Well, personally I wouldn't call this (hopefully upcoming) feature a redundancy, rather a very useful way of instantly removing those cookies.

You can only get rid of them with the cleaning process, as we both mentioned. My point is that there is no "instant way". There is not even some info about which application each cookie comes from (so that we know where to target on the cleaner items menu), or their system path.

I do realise that the Ccleaner's philosophy may not prioritise the removal of cookies. Possibly that isn't most users' main concern either. But I can tell you, dear developers, that there are many of those who do, and would appreciate such an addition ;-)

There is not even some info about which application each cookie comes from (so that we know where to target on the cleaner items menu), or their system path.

Perhaps you need a little more knowledge :)

via Options / Cookies you get the columns Cookies to Delete

If you select any one of these cookies then beneath the cookie display region you will see the name of the cookie plus an icon

That icon shows whether it is a Flash Cookie or a Firefox cookie.

By using the keyboard Up or Down arrows you can scroll through the cookies and watch the icons change.

I believe that alternative icons will appear for browsers other than Firefox.

So far as privacy is concerned, I think that removing cookies is a waste of time unless you also clean all history of your searches and browsing,

but to each his own.

Perhaps you need a little more knowledge :)

I believe the hunt for knowledge never ends, does it?

That icon shows whether it is a Flash Cookie or a Firefox cookie.

I was expecting this answer, but you're missing something. All applications who connect to the internet store cookies. These can be Mail readers, IM programs etc. Their cookies are the Application Cookies. So far so good.

These application cookies, however, are not shown with the program's icon on the menu, so your post doesn't apply here. Unless we can get it by their name, we don't know. To me they are actually shown with the IE's icon (not IE's cookies, I have checked it). Concerning firefox, all cookies are deleted on exit, so I don't happen to see any on CCleaner.

So far as privacy is concerned, I think that removing cookies is a waste of time unless you also clean all history of your searches and browsing, but to each his own.

I don't agree completely to this. Cookies are more privacy-offending than browsing history.

Although I clean history too anyway. ;)

Cookies are more privacy-offending than browsing history.

Help me. :) I'm missing something here.

Once daily I use CC to clear any new unwanted cookies. How can a few cookies be privacy-offending before they are cleared?

How can a few cookies be privacy-offending before they are cleared?

Your question is why cookies can be harmful to your privacy? I hope I got it right.

Some info about cookies:

Many sites store and use cookies to identify you when you connect to them. For example, now that you are logged in to the piriform forum, the site knows it's you by reading the specific cookies about your login info. These are stored in your computer. If you delete them and reload the page, you will be offline.

Many cookies are about logins, others serve different purposes. Some stay in your machine forever, others are deleted automatically.

Many of them are harmless and/or essential for sites to work properly. This is the good part.

There are those ones, however, who are used by tracking sites and advert sites to track your browsing. A profile is created about you from your online searches, sites visited, ads clicked and generally your online habits (while these cookies are in your PC). This info is a treasure for ad sites and marketers. This info is also stored and can be sold to third parties, legally requested by the feds, become available to thirds because the site got hacked, etc etc...

Now if that's bad, depends of the people. Some may say "Oh common, who cares if they can see my online habits info." Others don't fancy being tracked and have their online privacy compromised. And then there are the paranoids (like myself ;)) that want to be as private as possible. From anyone.

• Moderators

isn't it easier just to open ccleaner and press clean, instead of open ccleaner press tools press cookies press clean

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

isn't it easier just to open ccleaner and press clean, instead of open ccleaner press tools press cookies press clean

Not really.

1. The cleaner will only delete cookies according to your selections on the cleaning options. It won't remove them all. You need to modify it each time. Quite boring.

2. Since the "cookies window" doesn't provide much info about which app each one came from, you will have a hard time making guesses.

3. "Just tick 'em all and leave it", some may say. Well, we won't always want to delete other application items. Especially for deleting some cookies.

4. You may also have a selected pattern of items-to-be-removed that you use routinely and don't want to spoil.

Although i'm not a programmer, I think the feature I requested wouldn't be that hard to be applied in the program. Hope the devs think the same.

I totally agree on this one!

It would be a nice tool to have in the cookies section and it could be done while your browser is still active.

If its not a problem to implement, then why not and it would make deleting unwanted cookies a lot easier,

since you can see whats unwanted and wanted in the specified windows in Ccleaner!

I like the idea!

• Moderators

Ummm, why not use your particular browser in 'private mode'?

or go one step further and setup Allow or Block certain cookies in the Privacy/Security sections.

I come at the issue of not having CC do the cleaning if there is nothing to clean in the first place. :)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I totally agree on this one!

It would be a nice tool to have in the cookies section and it could be done while your browser is still active.

If its not a problem to implement, then why not and it would make deleting unwanted cookies a lot easier,

since you can see whats unwanted and wanted in the specified windows in Ccleaner!

I like the idea!

Thank you for supporting this request, my friend. :) Anyone else who reads this topic and thinks it's a good idea, post your thoughts so the developers can hear our voice.

Ummm, why not use your particular browser in 'private mode'?

Yes, private mode does pretty good job (at least on Firefox which I use and know). But have you ever heard of the Application Cookies? No?

All applications who connect to the internet store cookies. These can be Mail readers, IM programs etc. Their cookies are the Application Cookies.

• Moderators
All applications who connect to the internet store cookies. These can be Mail readers, IM programs etc. Their cookies are the Application Cookies

Everything is tracked. You can make yourself mad by trying to delete every little trace of everything.

Expecting CCleaner to monitor every application to see what cookies are used by them is going against what you are talking about. You are basically wanting one application (CCleaner) to monitor what other applications do individually.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

You are basically wanting one application (CCleaner) to monitor what other applications do individually.

You mean that every time you launch an application then CCleaner would have the knowledge with which to deliver adverts with a precision that Google can only dream of :o:o:o

• Moderators

The Cookies View window very nicely shows us all cookies Ccleaner finds in our machine. Why isn't there an option of removing them? Instantly?

Can't you achieve your desired level of cookie removal with the winapp2.ini file?

Or is your main point of the post to get it all as a one-click fix?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Expecting CCleaner to monitor every application to see what cookies are used by them is going against what you are talking about. You are basically wanting one application (CCleaner) to monitor what other applications do individually.

I don't get something on your post. As far as I know, CCleaner already tracks and lists stored cookies and even "knows" for some of them which application they came from (e.g. IE's and flash cookies are shown with the corresponding icon).

Since CCleaner already identifies these cookies and their disk location, how would it become more of a "tracking software" by just adding a delete function?

I may be wrong with all this, so inform me of what i'm missing.

• Moderators

wait so you're saying ccleaner (which doesn't track the cookies only lists what's in the folder(s) indicated by the program's code) already lists the application cookies? Because if so we're back to the question of why not just clean them in your routine clean?

wait so you're saying ccleaner [...] already lists the application cookies?

I Copy-paste a previous reply I gave to Alan_B:

All applications who connect to the internet store cookies. These can be Mail readers, IM programs etc. Their cookies are the Application Cookies. So far so good.

These application cookies, however, are not shown with the program's icon on the menu. Unless we can get it by their name, we don't know. To me they are actually shown with the IE's icon (not IE's cookies, I have checked it).

There is no info shown, only an icon on flash cookies. All the others are shown with IE's icon (although I never use IE, they are applicaton ones). I think this makes it clear.

(which doesn't track the cookies only lists what's in the folder(s) indicated by the program's code)

If that's the case, it kind of answers my previous post's query about how CCleaner finds and "aknowledges" cookies.

I'm still however not sure if and how the post of Hazelnut

You are basically wanting one application (CCleaner) to monitor what other applications do individually.

applies here since my knowledge about programming and software functioning is null. Remains to the devs.

Any notes from the mods (or anyone) are always welcome.

I'm still however not sure if and how the post of Hazelnut

"You are basically wanting one application (CCleaner) to monitor what other applications do individually."

applies here since my knowledge about programming and software functioning is null.

CCleaner is removing some cookies and giving you some clues about them and what applications may be involved.

You want some enhancements.

After many posts your wishes are requiring CCleaner to access more information than can be gleaned from a snapshot of the system,

which would involve. Real Time monitoring continuously from power up to system shut-down of everything that might result in a cookie.

To discuss this in detail requires more knowledge about programming and software functioning.

CCleaner is removing some cookies and giving you some clues about them and what applications may be involved.

You want some enhancements.

After many posts your wishes are requiring CCleaner to access more information than can be gleaned from a snapshot of the system,

which would involve. Real Time monitoring continuously from power up to system shut-down of everything that might result in a cookie.

To discuss this in detail requires more knowledge about programming and software functioning.

I think I see what you mean. My initial thought was that it would be easy to add an instant Remove Cookies option, since CCleaner knew each cookie's info. But since (as I get it) it actually "guesses" of some sort, this would change the program's algorithmic philosophy. Still there's hope the devs may find some other viable solution.

Q: Does this mean CCleaner has no knowledge about each cookie's disk location as well?

• Moderators

I think I see what you mean. My initial thought was that it would be easy to add an instant Remove Cookies option, since CCleaner knew each cookie's info. But since (as I get it) it actually "guesses" of some sort, this would change the program's algorithmic philosophy. Still there's hope the devs may find some other viable solution.

Q: Does this mean CCleaner has no knowledge about each cookie's disk location as well?

there is no algorithm, ccleaner only has knowledge of specific locations. This is true about all of ccleaner's rules, and can the methods can be seen by looking at the winapp2.ini file.

I'm not sure what you mean each cookie's info, it just reads a name-cell in a database and matches it to a file (ie) or database row (Firefox/chrome/Safari/Opera)

Edited by Nergal
add more words

Wow, this is interesting, but, I personally use Ccleaner because part of it's design is to be able to clean and remove junk files, cookies, and so on in one click. That is one of the major draws of using it, the quick, safe, cleaning function, without having to go and take the time of using each phase one at a time.