What is the best practice for preparing a system partition for backup?

KCav

The files you put into CCleaner's list can be just about anything you want to delete..

1- I have added such things as logs and empty directories created by applications.

2- A data recovery application I sometimes use; it makes copies of what I'm recovering straight to the main C drive. Pretty stupid. So I added that in.

3- Status reports from other utilities.

4- Some programs make their own cache, especially some cd burning tools and disk testing tools. These caches and logs are important only for the moment and serve no long-term purpose.

5- A couple of unruly programs insist on making duplicate settings files in the Documents & Settings folder, despite me specifying otherwise. The dev's say it's for "backup" purposes. Meh..

6- Some Firefox and IE things that CCleaner doesn't go over.

7- I do a lot of photo and scientific work, and use programs that leave temp files behind, so those are added in.

One time, at the end of 2 months, I ran my custom list and zapped 17GB!

I would like to express my appreciation for the good advice given about how to prepare a disk for backup. Here is my revised plan. I would appreciate your comments.

1. Custom configure CCleaner:

a) specify cookies to keep

b ) specify files to remove

c) select folders and registry entries that CCleaner should exclude from removing

Run CCleaner manually every night before shutting down the system

2. Custom configure Defraggler:

a) move large files to end of drive during whole drive defrag

b ) don’t move large files during Defrag Freespace

Run Defraggler when adding/deleting programs

3. Schedule a Microsoft Security Essentials Full scan to run every M,W,F night

4. Once a month run SUPERAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes, Acronis System Cleaner, AVG Registry Optimizer; do not run simultaneouly, do not clean.

a) print list of files reported as dangerous

b ) Google file name to see if others have problems with a file

c) adjust CCleaner custom settings

Again, thank you for your help, and please send me comments on my revised plan. CCleaner is very efficient. I plan to make extensive use of it. Still chewing on how to position small files for optimal disk performance.

KC.