Deleting cookies

klitos

Hi,

I am a new user and I would suggest a change to the way cookies are selected for deletion or keeping. At the moment, the Options->Cookies form displays two lists. On the right-hand side is a list of URLs you've selected to keep. On the left are those cookies currently on your PC, which will be deleted unless you move them to the right-hand list.

I would prefer to have three lists: an "always keep" list, and "always delete" list, and one that show the currently stored cookies that you have not yet selected whether to keep or delete. You could also have a group of three radio buttons to specify what to do with this list: delete, keep, or prompt.

The reason I think this would be an advantage is that, after a browsing session, I would like to select a few cookies to keep. However, it is very difficult to find them among all the crap cookies from advertisers etc. With my suggestion, you would always have all these doublelick.net etc. undesirable cookies in your "always delete" list, so your "currently stored" list is smaller and easier to pick your wanted cookies among them.

Cheers,

Klitos

Anything you don't put in the keep list is deleted everytime you run CCleaner.

Yep, and that's exactly what I would like to change.

Cookies that I wanted to keep but got deleted because I didn't spot them among the 100 or so other cookies that I wanted deleted.

Yep, and that's exactly what I would like to change.

Cookies that I wanted to keep but got deleted because I didn't spot them among the 100 or so other cookies that I wanted deleted.

Then that would be user error. Simply go back to the sites and recreate the cookies, then add them to the keep list. What you're asking for is redundant, sorry.

Well, I wouldn't say it is a totally useless request. I can see some good in it.

You could have the three categories, like klitos said: keep, remove, and neutral.

The default for all cookies could be neutral to prevent them from accidently being deleted. Every cookie could have a checkbox next to it, and if checked, would be deleted and added to the always remove list. If not checked, it would be added to the always keep list. And of course, you could always go back and change it if you so desired.

I can also see Tarun's point; for me, I always delete my cookies anyway, and the option to save them already does exist. I would say this addition would be more of a personal preference than a necessity.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

Then that would be user error. Simply go back to the sites and recreate the cookies, then add them to the keep list. What you're asking for is redundant, sorry.

Hi Tarun,

I agree with you that this feature is redundant, but then so is nearly all of the functionality of CCleaner. I am not exaggerating when I say that. Think about it. I don't have to use CCleaner to delete my cookies. That's a redundant feature, since I can delete them directly by going to the Cookies folder and deleting the cookies there. I don't have to use CCleaner to clean up my registry, as I can use RegEdit.exe for that. In fact, just about anything I can use CCleaner for, there is another way to do it.

So why do I use CCleaner? It is because it can be more convenient that using other means. Convenience of operation is the key feature of this software. As it is, the cookie deletion feature is not very convenient for me. At the end of each day, I have about 100 new cookies, of which I want to keep about 2 or 3. That is 2-3 new cookies each day in addition to those I've saved from previous days. The current version of CCleaner does not make that easy for me. I have to scroll through a list of 100 cookies carefully looking for any cookies that I want to keep. Frankly, I can do that just as easily in Explorer instead, so what's the point of using CCleaner? It does not offer me the extra convenience. And remember, convenience is what CCleaner is all about.

With my proposed 3 lists, about 95 of those 100 daily cookies will be in my "allways delete" list. This will leave me with 5 new cookies in my "unsure" list, from which it is very convenient to find and select the 2 or 3 new cookies that I want to keep. That convenience would make it worthwhile keeping CCleaner installed on my machine.

I hope that explains my rationale better.

Regards,

Klitos