Remove Zone Identifier Streams

Super Fast

I have a lot of files, & it is a pain in the rear end to manually identify each file that has a Zone Identifier Alternate Data Stream (26 bytes) that blocks features of a program unless I right-click/properties/unblock.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/alternate_data_streams.html is a cool utility that showed thousands & thousands & thousands of files that I have with such identifier data.

Perhaps an ADS (Alternate Data Streams) button under tools? Allow users to select a directory of files to clean.

Thanks!

• Moderators

1) This is an operation on a live file so is outside of CC's remit of junk removal.

2) ADS's are used legitimately by Windows (as pointed out on the utility web page): you cannot assume that removing ADS's is always a good thing.

3) ADS info is held in the MFT: you cannot amend the MFT directly.

If you want to use that or any utility then go ahead, but it isn't a CC task.

1) This is an operation on a live file so is outside of CC's remit of junk removal.

2) ADS's are used legitimately by Windows (as pointed out on the utility web page): you cannot assume that removing ADS's is always a good thing.

Two questions...

1) Isn't every file a "live" file? That is to say, all files downloaded from the internet in the internet caches are "live" as well, but CC removes those, right? Could you explain more what you mean about what a "live" file is?

2) Also, pointstone has ADS scanner that has the option to ignore safe ADS content (doesn't show Zone Identifier when checked, but it does when you uncheck it).

If pointstone could ignore zone identifier data, couldn't CC include option to ignore all ADS properties except zone identifier data, & just remove those?

My finger gets tired from thinking of all those clicks.... :)

• Moderators

CC deletes files that are considered unwanted, it doesn't amend live files that aren't going to be deleted.

I don't know what pointstone is. My point is that CC removes junk, and changing the characteristics of undeleted files is outside CC's scope. If you find a utility that does what you want then use it, but it doesn't need to be incorporated into CC.

Thanks for your input. Here are some interesting things about the Windows ADS (in case you were wondering).

_____

Text data stored in the ADS “Zone.Identifier” flag is the same for every file.

Therefore, you can add an ADS named “Zone.Identifier” with this text to any file & Windows will auto apply the additional security measures.

Example: To add the downloaded from the Internet status back to the xmlnotepad1.msi file, run the command:

notepad [filename]:Zone.Identifier

image13.png

Because this ADS does not exist, Windows will ask us if we want to create it. Answer Yes.

image14.png

In Notepad, enter this exact text:

[ZoneTransfer]

ZoneId=3

Save your changes and close Notepad.

image15.png

Run XmlNotepad1.msi or view its properties, & previous warnings will be in place.

You can do this with any file: MP3, DOC, CHM, etc. & Windows will treat it as untrusted until the respective flag is removed.

_____

Even if this doesn't get added to CCleaner, I had the distinct feeling that you were of the opinion that this was dangerous.

I am not sure how a 26 byte text file, that is identical for all files, being removed is dangerous...

But you may know more than I, concerning this. I found it interesting, nonetheless.