Unable to move or copy files to a partition

Eli

Right after perfect disk defragmenter defragmented partition D [not the system partition], I got the following error in the Win.event viewer: The driver detected controller error on - \ Device \ Harddisk0 \ D, Error Id :11 , and I`m unable to move files to that partition ever since and getting the following popup message:

"Windows Delayed Write Failed Windows was unable to save all the data for the file_____. The

data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer

hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere." and get the freeze.

I checked the disk with:1. Es tools ,(Samsunsungs manufacturer disk test)=passed. 2.HDD Regenerator= passed

Even though the disk past both checks, chkdsk procedure /f /r at boot time, stops at step 4, 98%

The D partition functions properly other than moving/copying files/folders to it, also not able to erase/shred files/folders some of the time, never the less, I`m able to move/copy files and folders from D. C system and programs partition,works properly.

Also please note that C and D are at the same and only HD.

I`m at lost here with a disk that passed the tests but windows hints otherwise, any help suggesting other procedures than the ones already done will be most apreciated.Thanks

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

• Moderators

What does it say about the drive in Device manager?

If you select its properties what does options does the polices tab show?

See here for some ideas

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330174

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

What does it say about the drive in Device manager?

If you select its properties what does options does the polices tab show?

See here for some ideas

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;330174

Thank you for your reply Hazelnut, It says it works fine and in polices tab it is with Enable write caching on the disk checked.

Hi Hazelnut, Now it is getting very weird, I`ve tried to repartition D and see what it shows !:

post-18400-0-97533300-1356178398_thumb.gif

• Moderators

A couple of things I found which may give you some ideas

This thread here mentions your error

http://www.wildersse...ad.php?t=262643

Are you able to repartition with mini tool partition wizard ?

http://www.partition...on-manager.html

Can you do a screenshot of your disk management?

@Alan

His sig says xp pro.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Also from the same site you can get free downloads for Linux Bootable CD and Flash Drives,

which will let you go where no Windows Application is allowed to go.

It is quite possible that it is Windows Operating System that is not only refusing to move files to D:\ but is also blocking your Express tool.

http://www.partition...ootable-cd.html

http://www.partition...lash-drive.html

Years ago a Windows Whoopsie lost every one of 7 partitions on my XP Home Laptop.

Total Disaster non-bootable.

I did not panic, I had an Acronis (or Macrium) Partition Boot recovery CD and its Partition Image Backup files on on external drive.

Before I used my "safety belt" I decided to use my Partition Wizard "safety braces" (when I was a child men would wear both as a precaution).

All partitions were recovered by the version 4.2 Partition Wizard Bootable CD,

and when Windows then failed to boot I ran the CD again and used its "Repair MBR Wizard",

and then Windows Booted up O.K.

The first thing Windows said after booting and I had logged on was that a FAT32 partition was corrupt and advised running Chkdsk.

After invoking Chkdsk and rebooting all seemed well.

MiniTool Partition Wizard products are now up to version 7.6,

and I am sure that in the future whatever Windows Whoopsie might hit the Fan my Bootable Flash will sort it out.

@Alan

His sig says xp pro.

Your sig is a nice bright RED that hits my eyeballs,

I am afraid that I failed to notice the fainter rendering of Eli's grey sig.

I did a file system check with Mini tool and it says The second NTFS boot sector is unwriteable and I don`t know what to do with this information. Any help? [two screen shuts attached]

post-18400-0-78948200-1356194184_thumb.gif

post-18400-0-14337700-1356194466_thumb.gif

Please note that you should make backup copies of anything you value on this partition.

All its contents may be lost.

Perhaps it is unwriteable because :-

Windows was told to Write protect it,

in which case there may be a way to undo that - I cannot remember how but Google may.

Minitool will allow you to delete the partition - Windows permitting.

Bootable Minitool will delete the partition regardless of Windows.

Thank you Hazelnut and Alan for the Minitools program, quite eficient and fast, I had to format the partition and now it works.

By the way. since I installed an extra HD I have set it to logical, is that ok? or should it be changed to primmary?

• Moderators

The first partition on a drive is recommended to be a primary one Eli, and you can have up to 4 primary partitions on one drive, and if it's of any use, all my partitions are set as "primary".

post-8751-0-80731500-1356385860_thumb.jpg

If you wanted a large number of separate partitions on a drive, then you would need to create one as an "Extended" partition in which you could then create more or less as many logical partitions as you required.

I think that's about the only reason you would really need to set partitions as logical, and I'm not sure if modern Operating Systems actually use them any more, but I stand to be corrected on that.

Hope you guys don't mind me jumping in at this late stage, and hope that helps Eli.

The first partition on a drive is recommended to be a primary one Eli, and you can have up to 4 primary partitions on one drive, and if it's of any use, all my partitions are set as "primary".

post-8751-0-80731500-1356385860_thumb.jpg

If you wanted a large number of separate partitions on a drive, then you would need to create one as an "Extended" partition in which you could then create more or less as many logical partitions as you required.

I think that's about the only reason you would really need to set partitions as logical, and I'm not sure if modern Operating Systems actually use them any more, but I stand to be corrected on that.

Hope you guys don't mind me jumping in at this late stage, and hope that helps Eli.

I fail to see the advantage of one over the other, please enlighten.

Let me stick my nose in here, too, is all the S.M.A.R.T. data good?

Yes, as far as I can remember, (I`m not at home to recheck),why the question?

I read that yesterday and it still does not explain the advantages[not the characteristics] of one over the other, in fact, I did not find one single site yet to answer such a simple question.....More over, if there is no advantage what would be the lead other than the obvious primary active for sys.

The BIOS knows where and how to read the primary partition table,

and having read it knows where to find up to either four primary partitions or three primary partitions plus an "extended partition table".

At this stage it does NOT know where the logical partitions are,

it will have to read the extended partition table to locate the logical partitions and that might need one more rotation at 5400 r.p.m. whilst Windows is booting up.

Once Windows is running it should remember (from RAM) where the logical partitions are.

My XP Laptop had a natural Windows default of 1 Primary and everything else was Logical.

That was TRAGICAL.

I created partitions for various purposes of adequate but NOT excessive size,

If I need to run Chkdsk I would rather do so on a 50% full 10 GB partition than on a 98% empty 200 GB partition,

and I would like to retain "Unallocated Space" on the physical drive so that a new purpose can be satisfied with a new partition without having to shrink existing and nearly empty partitions.

THE TRAGEDY

I had a new purpose - I needed to restore a partition image backup into "Unallocated Space", but Macrium said "no can do".

Macrium support was outstanding, and quickly identified the problem and provided the solution.

The problem was that the Extended Partition Table was corrupted and and confused over the end boundary of a partition V:\ immediately before that unallocated space,

and there was in effect a cross-link between V:\ and W:\ on the other side of the space I wished to populate.

I had to delete partition V:\ with all its contents so that the extended table would be corrected, then I was able to control my system again.

If only I had been using Primary partitions there would have been no Extended Partition Table to cause grief and cross-links from one partition to another.

If you only need four or less partitions on a drive then Primary only will avoid the (small) risk of an Extended Partition Table confusion.

Summary.

I have to dig deep to find a reason for using Primary instead of Logical.

Thank you for sharing Alan, the reason I started this thread was because of D primary partition screwup, so I`m not sure about primary being safer, but then again since we do not now the solid advantages of the one over the other, it is hard to make a reasonable choice other than mere speculation.