Seeing lots of screenshots

Augeas

• Moderators

I have noticed a change in the composition of deleted files. I don't usually use secure delete, just run CC a few times a week. I occasionally run a Recuva normal scan just to see what's there. In the last few months Recuva has been finding a considerable number of screenshots that it didn't before. Of some concern are screenshots of Google and Startpage searches, with the search parameters and results listed. I'm sure I didn't have these before. The resolution isn't very good, but some search parameters are discernable.

I accept that jpegs etc will be held in cache and viewable in Recuva, but a search page isn't a single entity, it's made up of multiple elements.

I think it's something to do with the browser. I use FF (I'm on 13.0 now). For a long time I was on a very outdated version, which used to bundle all the temp internet files into one cache. Now FF appears to have separate entries for each element in the cache, just as IE does. These screenshots are held in FF's cache.

I don't want to have to use secure delete all the time. I might try IE and see if this behaviour continues: if not I'll have to abandon FF, after many years.

Edit: I think it's this

http://www.h-online....re-1625761.html

but I don't see it as when I open a new tab I have my own blank html page (newtab url in about:config).

Later edit:

Yes, it is the FF 13.0 New Tab option, and there are quite a few complaints about this. The option of showing these screenshots on a new page can be turned off, but they are still created and can be seen with Recuva. It looks like I need FF 14, which has an option to disable creation of these screenshots (enabled by default!).

• Moderators

Thanks for that. I'm not the world's most enthusiastic updater (except for P8iriform's products), if it works for me I can live with it quite happily. However I will update FF to get rid of this glitch.

It may be worth trying Palemoon which is based on the same open source code as Mozilla but is much less inclined to rabid ( = rapid and crazy mad) updates.

It is now at 15.3.2 but includes security fixes included with Mozilla numbers that exponentially increase,

and I believe has refrained from some of the adventures that Firefox exposes users to

http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes-ng.shtml